Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 2014 times)

zahc

• friend
Coffee
« on: June 26, 2019, 09:06:58 PM »
My $15, black Friday sale, programmable 5 cup drip coffee maker stopped heating today after 5 years. It's glued together so I can't even try to fix it.

It's going to cost $40-50 for a similar drip machine, that is for a cheap drip machine that I might not like for some reason. I can get an electric kettle and French press, or a classic drip pot for about the same amount. Should I try a French press? Is it better?

My grandfather used the same percolator for what must be 35 or more years. I don't think percolator coffee is supposed to be good though. What is the permanent way to make coffee, that doesn't break every so often and end up in a landfill?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Coffee
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 09:23:43 PM »
For us, Mr Coffee! It is also voted to make the best drip coffee.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »
Chemex and an electric kettle.

Great coffee, lasts forever.  It is a little more labor intensive,  but worth it.

Also, www.blackriflecoffee.com

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:52:55 PM »
I've seen cheap non-programmable knockoffs at Walmart for $15 or less.  I'm considering picking one up to use as a hot plate so I can press a caraffe full off coffee and keep it warm.  The good coffee here is pressed through an Aeropress, but it does small batches.

You might like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018RY8H0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 09:56:20 PM »
I use an aeropress for my first cuppa, but it's a one at a time rig.

I can get a liter at a time out of my Chemex. That's what I keep on my desk at work.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 10:28:24 PM »
$5 Mr. Coffee from Goodwill or The Salvation Army thrift store.  After an initial cleaning with vinegar, I usually get about 5 years of heavy use from them.

I actually like percolator coffee, from big electric percolators.  You can find them at thrift stores too, but they make a *lot* of coffee at a time.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 10:36:34 PM »
I only use old fashioned methods anymore. French press when I want a cup or two, stovetop percolator for more. Though for the last several months, I've been hooked on cowboy coffee and have my methodology down to where I'm getting (to me) really good tasting coffee (using Black Rifle or Arbuckle coffee these days). It's a little more time intensive, but I've got the time. :)

All the above methods are done with $25 or less containers that I think will outlive me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 11:09:29 PM »
I have one of these, or something extremely close, and it makes good coffee.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kitchen-Craft-Drip-Coffee-Maker-West-Bend-Aluminum-Co-w-instruc-card/173870658392  Should last forever.  (Wife put mine in the dishwasher once and thought she ruined it, but it cleaned up okay with some Mother's aluminum wheel polish)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 11:13:34 PM »
I have one of these, or something extremely close, and it makes good coffee.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kitchen-Craft-Drip-Coffee-Maker-West-Bend-Aluminum-Co-w-instruc-card/173870658392  Should last forever.  (Wife put mine in the dishwasher once and thought she ruined it, but it cleaned up okay with some Mother's aluminum wheel polish)

I remember my mom making coffee in one of those (though straight-walled) for years and years and years. I don't know whatever happened to it, but given my current penchant for coffee making methods like that, I wish it was still around.

I remember they used to haul that and an electric fry pan to motels whenever we went on vacation.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 06:10:36 AM »
It’s been a while since my coffee machine bit the dust.

Been using my camping French press ever since.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 06:50:38 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
If you are only drinking a cup or two of coffee at a time, and Aeropress is hard to beat.
A bit spendy for a drip maker, but I love mine, as I drink coffee throughout the day, and this one uses a dewar-style carafe to keep it hot a long time, instead of a burner (which burns the coffee).   https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr-Coffee-Classic-Coffee-10-Cup-Thermal-Coffee-Maker/14320818?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000433817&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40345762352&wl4=pla-52123974769&wl5=9005889&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=14320818&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIst37p9SJ4wIVQksNCh1o_g1uEAQYASABEgJRA_D_BwE
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 09:04:48 AM »
$20 bucks from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L1XMRDM?pf_rd_p=2edffb5d-036e-4cd0-bc77-99980e2d4856&pf_rd_r=JAPNV9C44Q8PCB1KPS7G

And 5 cups? What are you, some kind of teatotaling heathen Communazi or something that you hate coffee?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 09:12:03 AM »
This thread is reminding me that what I need to do is go get a cheap drip coffee machine as fast as possible so that this doesn't turn into a months-long experimentation session which ends up costing a thousand dollars and forming a new hobby I don't need.

And 5 cups? What are you, some kind of teatotaling heathen Communazi or something that you hate coffee?
Posted on: Today at 04:28:12 AM Posted by: brimic
Insert
I only need 1 or two American-size cups with my breakfast. After that I'm gone from the house and have to buy coffee.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 09:18:47 AM »
"I only need 1 or two American-size cups with my breakfast. After that I'm gone from the house and have to buy coffee."

I only drink from American-size cups...

40 ounce. MACGA! (Make American Cups Great Again!)

For years I took a thermos of Maxwell House to the office with me and drank it through the morning.

For the last couple of months, while I'm waiting for my clearances to finalize, I've been at the HQ of the company I'm subbed to, and they have a massive, multi functional Keurig machine that does about 60 different versions of coffee and hot chocolate. And the thing is... its damned good coffee.

Even better, it's free.

Once I finally get to the customer site I'll start taking a thermos with me again.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 09:57:45 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 10:02:29 AM »
"I only need 1 or two American-size cups with my breakfast. After that I'm gone from the house and have to buy coffee."

I only drink from American-size cups...

40 ounce. MACGA! (Make American Cups Great Again!)

:rofl:

I've been doing it wrong- I have a 20ish ounce coffee trough on my desk that I refill twice every morning. A 40 OZer would increase my productivity.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 10:03:24 AM »
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 10:06:08 AM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »
Yeah, I thought we had done this before  :lol:

There was one I started back in 2017, too, or thereabouts, when I thought my Target cheapie was crapping out on me. Thing is, I gave it a good vinegar soak to clean out any scale and it seems to have rallied.

Right now I'm only using it on the weekends given that the coffee at my current office is free, but once I get onsite at the customer location I'll be using it every day again.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »
One thing I will mention...

Be careful, some of the cheap units don't have auto timer shutoffs, even the programmable ones.

I insist on an auto off feature on any coffee maker I get.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 11:22:31 PM »
Score!

https://www.target.com/p/mr-coffee-advanced-brew-coffee-maker-black-jwx3/-/A-51077471

Proud new owner of $18 programmable 5-cup drip machine. It says something about our economy, but if I can keep buying new Chinese automatic drip machines for less than $20 every 5 years, it's probably what I will keep doing.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 02:58:57 PM »
OK, word to the wise.

That has, like mine, a solid hinged top.

You MUST let the top open after you brew coffee to allow the water chamber and basket to dry out. Otherwise you will quickly grow one hell of a bumper crop of mold in the inner works.

I never thought about that when I got mine some years ago. After a month or two I looked into the water chamber and almost threw up. It looked like a fungus factory.

I cleaned it out with bleach water and now the lid stays open unless I'm brewing coffee.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 03:01:44 PM »
OK, word to the wise.

That has, like mine, a solid hinged top.

You MUST let the top open after you brew coffee to allow the water chamber and basket to dry out. Otherwise you will quickly grow one hell of a bumper crop of mold in the inner works.

I never thought about that when I got mine some years ago. After a month or two I looked into the water chamber and almost threw up. It looked like a fungus factory.

I cleaned it out with bleach water and now the lid stays open unless I'm brewing coffee.

It's all part of the flavor experience     >:D
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes