Author Topic: Pot Stocks  (Read 505 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pot Stocks
« on: July 12, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »
Any of you invest in the pot stocks? I just saw that many of them are up like 50% this year. At my age, something like a pot stock is too risky and volatile for me. I might have puffed a few shares 20 years ago though for speculation.  :laugh:

On another note, wow - DOW 27K. On the "Ben's getting old" front, I normally would let this ride, but yesterday in my taxable Vanguard account I went from 60% total stock market, 40% Wellesley, to the reverse. I'm letting that combo ride in my IRA as 50/50, where it has been for many years (I don't plan on accessing the IRA money for at least 10 years).

I haven't decided if I want to reduce my "C" and "S" holdings in my TSP. I do plan on starting to use the TSP money in the next 1-3 years, so I'm thinking I might want to reduce them now. If the market takes some big 30% hit, I can always buy back in. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Pot Stocks
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 09:23:48 AM »
I guess a large Canadian firm bought out the largest USA pot company.  John Bohener is on the board for the large US firm and said that federal legalization is inevitable.  If the former (R) speaker of the house is involved, that says a lot about where pot is headed federally.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »
I'll be a little surprised if we don't see pot legalized within the next 5 years.
Interestingly enough  a small vinyard/winery just up the road from my place fell victim to Oklahoma's byzantine and archaic liquor laws a couple years ago and the place recently sold. Just behind the tree line and mostly out of public sight they have put up a fair sized complex of greenhouses. Looks to be 5-ish acres of medium sized high tunnel style houses.. my bet is a marijuana growing operation to supply our new and booming medical pot industry.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 10:13:25 AM »
I'll be a little surprised if we don't see pot legalized within the next 5 years.
Interestingly enough  a small vinyard/winery just up the road from my place fell victim to Oklahoma's byzantine and archaic liquor laws a couple years ago and the place recently sold. Just behind the tree line and mostly out of public sight they have put up a fair sized complex of greenhouses. Looks to be 5-ish acres of medium sized high tunnel style houses.. my bet is a marijuana growing operation to supply our new and booming medical pot industry.

Here's Ben's big dream:

We have 80 acres of family farmland left in CA. Thanks to that jackwagon moonbeam, we were put in the boundary of what they call the "white area" for water use - groundwater only, no surface water available. That dropped the land value by currently, almost 50% from just two years ago. Everyone is nervous about the new CA water rules which might restrict groundwater use to 1/2 acre foot. It takes at least 2 acre feet to grow any of the normal crops of value in that area.

We'll see what happens when the water rules kick in in January 2020, but if they are bad, my hope is some pot farmers will start moving into the area and I'll sell out to them.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

castle key

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 10:36:48 AM »
https://www.securityclearanceblog.com/2019/04/security-clearance-holders-should-avoid-investments-in-marijuana-companies.html

Interesting that mere stock ownership in such companies may have an adverse impact on security clearances.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »
https://www.securityclearanceblog.com/2019/04/security-clearance-holders-should-avoid-investments-in-marijuana-companies.html

Interesting that mere stock ownership in such companies may have an adverse impact on security clearances.

Yeah, I was wondering about that...

I'd have like to have cashed in on the pot stock cycle, but I really was nervous about the possible associations.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »

Oh, wow. It doesn't apply to me anymore, but I never thought about that. I think there's some kind of pot index fund out there now.  I wonder how they handle that? Or a financial advisor putting you into them without you knowing.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 11:52:55 AM »
Oh, wow. It doesn't apply to me anymore, but I never thought about that. I think there's some kind of pot index fund out there now.  I wonder how they handle that? Or a financial advisor putting you into them without you knowing.

How do they even know?  Do they research your portfolio and investments for a TS? 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 02:44:21 PM »
How do they even know?  Do they research your portfolio and investments for a TS? 

They measure your skid marks for a TS.

[tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams