Author Topic: Ross Perot died  (Read 701 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Ross Perot died
« on: July 10, 2019, 05:03:33 PM »
Ross Perot died yesterday, July 9th.

I grew up in Dallas, TX, where Perot was a big deal, so I've always known a little bit about the man.  This article from the Dallas Morning News, paints a good picture of who he was.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2019/07/09/ross-perot-self-made-billionaire-patriot-philanthropist-dies-89
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Unisaw

• friend
Re: Ross Perot died
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 05:32:49 PM »
Ross Perot provided the seed capital for a very good charity for which I volunteer: Special Operations Warrior Foundation.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:12:43 PM »
His getting his people out of Iran during the revolution shows the caliber of man he was
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 06:23:12 PM »
I liked Ross and he was good man but I always remember the fact that he probably handed the Clintons the WH on a silver platter and we're still to this day dealing with them. I don't blame him for trying though.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 06:27:05 PM »
I like Ross and he was good man but I always remember the fact that he probably handed the Clintons the WH on a silver platter and we're still to this day dealing with them.

Being charitable to Ross...

Our choices were a Bush or a Clinton.

Assuming he knew more backstory on those families than the voters, he was giving the country an escape option from what was coming down the ‘pike.

We didn’t take the escape option.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 06:30:36 PM »
Being charitable to Ross...

Our choices were a Bush or a Clinton.

Assuming he knew more backstory on those families than the voters, he was giving the country an escape option from what was coming down the ‘pike.

We didn’t take the escape option.

That's why I don't blame him for trying, he is what the country needed then and still does. The end result was unfortunately the Clintons. That's not what he wanted but that's what we got. He didn't fail the country did.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 11:04:41 PM »
HW was a bad choice.  Clinton was worse.  Kinda like Obama vs McCain or Romney.  I'm not sure if we were really that much worse off long term with HW losing. 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 12:46:38 AM »
I always remember the fact that he probably handed the Clintons the WH on a silver platter

That's sorta the way I remember it.  When it was just Bush Sr. and Clinton, as I recall Bush had a big lead in the polls.  After Perot entered the race, many people who were going to vote for Bush favored Perot.  Eventually Perot dropped out, but by that time people who previously wouldn't have considered not voting for Bush had by now got used to intending to vote for Perot, so when it was back to just Bush and Clinton many of the Perot voters were now ready to vote for Clinton.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 11:15:38 AM »
Ross Perot was actually anti-gun.  (I will say, so was GB1 though).
http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Ross_Perot_Gun_Control.htm

He favored medicaid for all:
http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Ross_Perot_Health_Care.htm

He wanted federal funding for abortion:
http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Ross_Perot_Abortion.htm

There's no way I would have voted for him given the facts above.  Maybe you would.  There wasn't a great choice in that race.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »
HW was a bad choice.  Clinton was worse.  Kinda like Obama vs McCain or Romney.  I'm not sure if we were really that much worse off long term with HW losing. 

It was one of those elections. In terms of political ideology there wasn't that much separating Bush from Bill but at least with Bush we would have been spared Hillary.
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 11:28:49 AM »
Borrowing...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »

Yes. HW Bush was a result of Reagan's 'keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer' type of politics.
I think a lot of people saw him as a continuation of RR, but he was something completely different.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 06:38:26 PM »
Perot and to a lesser extent Buchanan and Paul showed that there was a “market” for a different kind of Republican.

An America first Republican.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.