Author Topic: Green Acres  (Read 545 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Green Acres
« on: July 12, 2019, 08:28:39 PM »
Green Acres is on Amazon Prime. I remember watching the reruns when I was a kid, and thinking it was funny but not extraordinary. I just started watching it again, and it's hilarious. Not only that, but something I had to be an adult to catch is the chemistry between characters. Especially Eva Gabor. She always has this knowing smile/smirk on her face when she does her lines that bleeds over the fourth wall. You can really tell she's getting a kick out of playing that character, especially since it draws on her own background and accent.

Anyway, another great example of older comedy that managed to be funny while being clean and not outrageous.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Green Acres
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 11:05:54 PM »
This thread sent me to Yootoob to watch some clips of Green Acres. I had forgotten just how beautiful Eva Gabor was. Just plain WOW!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 01:23:28 AM »
I loved that show.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 06:49:04 AM »
That, along with perhaps a dozen others dealing with rural settings, were canceled because the network(s) wanted to appeal to a more modern, urban audience.  As Pat Buttram (who played Mr. Haney) remarked after the blood dried, "That was the year they axed everything with a tree in it." <paraquote from memory.

Most of these shows can be seen regularly for free on the OTA (Over-The-Air) channels now (ME TV, Antenna TV, etc.), including Green Acres.  (I have seen the old Magnum P.I. offered on one of the OTA channels, too.)

Re Eva Gabor: ✓  As well as a lot of the lovelies on those shows, like the girls of Petticoat Junction, and of course Donna Douglas (Ellie Mae of Beverly Hillbillies), Elinor Donahue (Sheriff Andy's GF)....

And few indelicate words were necessary.

Terry, 230RN

REFs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_purge
https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/15/nielsen-16m-u-s-homes-now-get-tv-over-the-air-a-48-increase-over-past-8-years/?renderMode=ie11

TECH NOTE:  You do not actually "need" a so-called "digital" antenna since OTA signals can be picked up by a random-length hunk of wire attached to the cable input (switched to antenna mode). I think they just call it a "digital" antenna to encourage you to buy a commercial one. However, commercial "digital" antennas designed for the OTA frequencies involved do work better.  I get by with a 6" diameter loop connected directly to the ends of the 75 ohm input cable, no impedance-matching or balancing required.  The other advantage to OTA reception is that only another  antenna is needed for other TV sets in the house... no "extra" boxes needed.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:01:08 AM by 230RN »

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 10:32:45 AM »
I watch it every night on MeTV, right before Hogan’s Heroes.😀
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 01:08:35 AM »
I loved the bits where everybody (including Lisa) understood Arnold except for Oliver.