Author Topic: Man Beaten to Death After Stealing Car With Kids Inside, Police Say  (Read 912 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Car-Thief-Beaten-to-Death-Father-Mob-Group-Children-Philadelphia--512622361.html?amp=y&__twitter_impression=true

I saw this headline.  Pretty rough and brutal, but the car thief can't say he didn't earn it. 

Suddenly, a 54-year-old man, later identified by police as Eric Hood, jumped into her car and sped off with the children, who are between the ages of 7 months and 5 years old, strapped inside, according to investigators.

The woman's boyfriend ran after Hood, who drove about half a block before getting stuck in traffic at 29th and York streets, officials said.

The kids' father then pulled him out of the car and beat Hood as other bystanders in the area joined the attack, according to investigators.

Medics responded to the scene and found the car thief unconscious with severe injuries to the head and face. Hood was taken to Temple University Hospital and pronounced dead shortly after 10 p.m.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Re: Man Beaten to Death After Stealing Car With Kids Inside, Police Say
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 10:14:44 PM »
Medics responded to the scene and found the car thief unconscious with severe injuries to the head and face.

The deceased perp wasn't merely a car thief - he was a kidnapper. One with (according to the story) two dozen prior arrests and convictions.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:31:19 PM »
Justice was served. 

All of his priors didn't teach him anything,  so if nothing else his recidivism rate just went to zero.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 10:45:32 PM »
54-year-old man, later identified by police as Eric Hood

live like a hood, die like a Hood.
 :laugh:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:20:26 PM »
Pretty rough and brutal, but the car thief can't say he didn't earn it. 
No, I don’t suppose he can.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 08:24:02 AM »
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Eric Hood just happened to win the powerball in the stupid lotto.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 08:36:05 AM »
The woman and her boyfriend were taken into police custody for questioning. Neither has been charged.

What are the odds on the boyfriend/father being charged for the death? Because, the guy was just about to turn his life around...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »
IANAL, but don't they sometimes charge the "good guy" just to immunize the "good guy" from further civil suits by the "bad guy's" family?

If he is charged, good luck getting a jury to convict.

Use of the quotes indicates "alleged." =D

Terry

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 01:39:09 PM »
IANAL, but don't they sometimes charge the "good guy" just to immunize the "good guy" from further civil suits by the "bad guy's" family?

If he is charged, good luck getting a jury to convict.

Use of the quotes indicates "alleged." =D

Terry

That might of worked until the OJ Simpson verdict.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 01:50:28 PM »
Well, since the Goblin is dead, the beater's story is the only one.  He could easily say he caught the Goblin molesting the children and in the process of stopping that, the Goblin died.  Hell, a jury in my town found a guy no guilty of murdering his cheating wife who he claimed fell off a ladder 6 times, each time hitting her head on pavement.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 02:20:26 PM »
The deceased perp wasn't merely a car thief - he was a kidnapper. One with (according to the story) two dozen prior arrests and convictions.

Kidnapping is a very good point, and probably why the boyfriend hasn't been charged.  I believe deadly force can be used to stop a kidnapper, but not a thief (except under certain circumstances in Texas, but that's very unusual)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 05:28:51 PM »
Kidnapping is a very good point, and probably why the boyfriend hasn't been charged.  I believe deadly force can be used to stop a kidnapper, but not a thief (except under certain circumstances in Texas, but that's very unusual)
The Texas thing is rarely brought up in court, but I think it is used more as an excuse to not press charges. 

This case sounds like one of those where the best decision would be for the DA to let it go.  It took a career criminal off the street and is likely a no-win situation when it comes to media coverage. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 05:40:27 PM »
No, I don’t suppose he can.

=D

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 06:43:38 PM »
At least he died doing what he loved. 

230RN

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 12:20:00 AM »
Justice was served.  

All of his priors didn't teach him anything,  so if nothing else his recidivism rate just went to zero.

I understand that for most of these types, capture and imprisonment  is just a cost of doing business.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
I understand that for most of these types, capture and imprisonment  is just a cost of doing business.

Well everyone needs a vacation once in awhile.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 10:09:57 AM »
^ roffle