Author Topic: Assault Rifle #15  (Read 1484 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Assault Rifle #15
« on: July 14, 2019, 08:29:47 AM »
Well if "the Troop" said it, it must be true! Straight from "Media Matters" (Narrator: it doesn't).

Do you Army guys even use "Troop" anymore to identify one guy?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/07/13/thanks-to-media-matters-expert-now-we-know-what-the-15-stands-for-in-ar-15/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Assault Rifle #15
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
He's being a master level troll, nothing more.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »
Wow, that great.  I guess it can be a problem when you only know one gun guy and he doesn't like you.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »
Control the language, control the issue.  Many anti-freedom folks have been told that AR stands for "Assault Rifle" and believe it as irrefutable Truth.

I wonder what they can make of "SKS?"

Troop as a singular trooper.  Heh.  Might be a regionalism, though, or a sloppy contraction, as "troop'."

I'm trooping out of here.  (Troop as a  verb.)

Terry, 230RN

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 09:42:24 AM »
Control the language, control the issue.  Many anti-freedom folks have been told that AR stands for "Assault Rifle" and believe it.

Over the years I've met plenty of guns folks who thought the same thing.
Have heard American Rifle as well.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 09:47:52 AM »
Well, that's the thing.  They've controlled the language.  Just as they have confused the true "assault rifle" with semiautomatic self-loading rifles.  Thus many casual gun owners think AR stands for assault rifle now.

I've always had a minor bitch about JMB naming so many of his semi auto rounds as "automatic."  But who knew back then that a fundamental human right would be under such idiotic semantic attacks a century or so later?

Terry, 230RN

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 09:49:59 AM »
Well, that's the thing.  They've controlled the language.  Just as they have confused the true "assault rifle" with semiauto self-loading rifles.

I've always had a minor bitch about JMB naming so many of his semi auto rounds as "automatic."  But who knew back then that a fundamental human right would be under such idiotic attacks.

Terry, 230RN

In JMB's case he was referring to Automatic Loading. But try explaining the different between Automatic Loading and Automatic Firing to a SJW  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:38:09 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 10:01:08 AM »
In JMB's case he was referring to Automatic Loading. But try explaining the difference between Automatic Loading and Automatic Firing to a SJW  :facepalm:

I believe you, but that could stand some documentation in order to help in explaining it to an SJW.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 10:12:58 AM »
I believe you, but that could stand some documentation in order to help in explaining it to an SJW.

There's a ton of it out there regarding gun terminology and technology. Everything from the intricately technical to, "I'll explain it so even YOU can understand it, lamebrain."

The problem is that we can't seem to win on that front. No matter what method is used to try and educate, we are simply "diverting the issue with technobabble." These people have zero interest in facts. They have an agenda to promote.

ETA: In fact ,educating often seems to make things worse. Look what happens when "reporters" are taken to a range to shoot an AR or a handgun. The firearms suddenly develop almost mythical murder death kill properties. Why, the atmospheric disturbance from the bullet alone can cause tornadoes!

The only education that seems to at least get 50/50 results is on the local "friends/families/coworkers" level. Take someone you know to the range and you have a chance of if not making them pro-gun, at least curing their hoplophobia. Most MSM reporters are a lost cause.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:40:30 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »

Do you Army guys even use "Troop" anymore to identify one guy?

We did occasionally when I was in ... but I got out in 1968. But we would never have used it to refer to an unnamed "expert" in a serious discussion. It was used as slang, and usually to describe a GI who was pretty much squared away (as in "Johnston is a straight troop"). No, not a reference to Johnston's sexual orientation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 12:49:34 AM »
Over the years I've met plenty of guns folks who thought the same thing.
Have heard American Rifle as well.

Or "Armalite Rifle."

I once found a web page purporting to explain AR/M16 history. It explained how Stoner's original AR-15 was a semi-automatic. He then produced a fully-automatic version for the military - the AR-16. That's why the military called it an M-16, obvs.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 09:25:58 AM »
Or "Armalite Rifle."

I once found a web page purporting to explain AR/M16 history. It explained how Stoner's original AR-15 was a semi-automatic. He then produced a fully-automatic version for the military - the AR-16. That's why the military called it an M-16, obvs.

I get tired of that. The AR-15 from day one was a FA gun. Most of the later civilian versions were/are SA

How about the looks you get when you try to explain that the AR-15 doesn't use Direct Impingement but a piston system.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 09:31:57 AM »
I get tired of that. The AR-15 from day one was a FA gun. Most of the later civilian versions were/are SA

How about the looks you get when you try to explain that the AR-15 doesn't use Direct Impingement but a piston system.

Why? Is Diane Feinstein trying to ban piston guns?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 11:28:52 AM »

I've heard about that ----  even read a terrific and convincing explanation.  But try to tell it to most people.   It's easier just to accept it and call it "D.I."  in conversations, especially if you're comparing it to AK -47s or other ...ahem, "piston guns."   :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 11:05:04 PM »
There's a ton of it out there regarding gun terminology and technology. Everything from the intricately technical to, "I'll explain it so even YOU can understand it, lamebrain."

The problem is that we can't seem to win on that front. No matter what method is used to try and educate, we are simply "diverting the issue with technobabble." These people have zero interest in facts. They have an agenda to promote.

ETA: In fact ,educating often seems to make things worse. Look what happens when "reporters" are taken to a range to shoot an AR or a handgun. The firearms suddenly develop almost mythical murder death kill properties. Why, the atmospheric disturbance from the bullet alone can cause tornadoes!

The only education that seems to at least get 50/50 results is on the local "friends/families/coworkers" level. Take someone you know to the range and you have a chance of if not making them pro-gun, at least curing their hoplophobia. Most MSM reporters are a lost cause.

That's why fully semiautomatic firing, belt-fed machine guns should be brought back into the open civvie market. End of discussion and nitpicking of technical details.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"