Author Topic: James/Jasmine Bond  (Read 4209 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: James/Jasmine Bond
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 12:23:18 PM »
They did that when they picked Roger Moore to play Bond.
I remember Johnny Carson had a skit as Carncac . . .

Answer: Junk Bonds

Question: Describe the last few 007 movies.

They were the ones with Roger Moore.

Quote from: TommyGunn
I'm still fondly remembering Stefanie Powers as April Dancer, "The Girl from U. N. C. L. E."

I remember that . . . also Dianna Rigg as Emma Peel in The Avengers. I think she was preceded by Honor Blackman as Dr. Cathy Gale, but I'm not even sure those early episodes appeared on American TV. More recent spy series with female leads included Piper Perabo as Annie Walker in the show Covert Affairs, and Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow in the show Alias, which I found noteworthy because in nearly every episode, some bad guy snuck up in back of her as she was picking a lock or cracking a safe.  :rofl:

Anyway, with plenty of female spies, there's no good reason to mess with 007.   :mad:

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »
I caulk that up to a bad casting choice, happens to the best of them. Besides the studio was hoping he would pull in a younger crowd than that what Ford usually pulls in.
Had he gone Chernobyl level libtard at that point? IIRC he was pretty was keeping his mouth shut at that point or the Hollywood tumor hadn't fully kicked in yet.

Bad casting choice is what I'm talking about. Terrible casting choice. Politics doesn't enter into it. I only refer to the HWNDU stuff because - well, it's just too funny to pass up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 03:37:46 PM »
They are movies.  Who cares. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 08:00:13 AM »
Local news radio had an interview with Albert Broccoli's daughter, and she had some... definite... things to say about the latest casting choice. As in... Bond is a man. Write roles for women instead of co-opting existing roles.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 08:12:36 AM »

Yea pretty much, no one is holding a gun to your head making you buy a ticket and watching the movies.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 08:43:24 AM »
Yea pretty much, no one is holding a gun to your head making you buy a ticket and watching the movies.

Which is why I said in the OP that I'm not watching any new Bond films. They're free to destroy a franchise, and I'm free to take my money elsewhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2019, 09:07:48 AM »
The Rageaholic did a good video on it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvSQQSPDObs
TheQuartering also has a good video on it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP0SCaTaN8
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2019, 09:17:05 AM »
Which is why I said in the OP that I'm not watching any new Bond films. They're free to destroy a franchise, and I'm free to take my money elsewhere.

Also they for the most part have run out of story lines from the Ian Flemming books.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2019, 09:50:19 AM »
RIP Star Wars
RIP Ghostbusters
RIP Star Trek
RIP Batman
RIP MIB
RIP James Bond

Waiting on the Indiana Jones series ruining woke reboot

At this point, I'm perfectly willing to walk away from defaced cultural icons.  I don't beep-ing care.  Do they realize this?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »
Things like this are why I think we need copyright reform, limiting copyright duration to the life at the author at the longest (although I think limiting it to something similar as patents would be better in the long run).

If Bond were now in the public domain because the author passed, this would be a non-troversy. If someone didn't like the way one studio handled it, they could do their own movie that they think sticks more closely to the source material, and then the marketplace could render judgement on who had the right idea.

Disney delenda est.   The Mouse must be destroyed.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2019, 09:55:43 AM »
One thing to bear in mind is that the Bond series was never meant to be anything but mindless escapism and not to be taken seriously in any way shape or form.  Same for Star Wars, The I. Jones moves, Ghostbusters, Batman etc... For the most part they didn't preach or try to shove anything down your throat they just entertained. People primarily go to movies to escape from reality for a couple of hours but Hollywood seems to have largely forgotten that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:21:32 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »
One thing to bear in mind is that the Bond series was never meant to be anything but mindless escapism and not to be taken seriously in any way shape or form.  Same for Star Wars, The I. Jones moves, Ghostbusters, Batman etc... For the most part they didn't preach or try to shove anything down your throat they just entertained. People primarily go to movies to escape from reality for a couple of hours but Hollywood seems to have largely forgotten that.

They have not forgotten that. They HATE that.

ANYTHING not relentlessly pushing their agenda must either be destroyed or coopted. Nothing can be allowed outside of leftism.

That is why they are going after these "cultural icons." They will either turn them to their own purposes or destroy them. Either one is a win for them. (And, yes, burn a pile of cash doing it too, but they have money to burn and since they "torment us for our own good [they] will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2019, 12:02:38 PM »
Things you think of while in the shower

1960-early 70s pretty much everything coming out Hollywood were preachy movies.
1975 Jaws comes out and is considered by many the first summer blockbuster. Did it preach? Nope, pure entertainment.
1977 Star Wars come out of nowhere and blows the box office up. Did it preach? Nope, pure entertainment and people couldn't get enough of it and then for the next 30+ years movies were for the most part pure entertainment. The MCU until the most recent movies seem to understand this but even it has showed signs of crashing and burning.
Now it seems like they've gone back to the 60s and early 70 and are scratching their heads are why revenue is down. Guess we need the next Jaws and/or SW to make them realized their mistake.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2019, 12:53:44 PM »
Also they for the most part have run out of story lines from the Ian Flemming books.

For the most part? They had run through all the book titles years ago. (Including The Spy Who Loved Me, which wasn't even a book, just a short story.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:25:59 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »
The ironic thing about Hollywood's hypocrisy (if you are old enough and paid attention)  is that Hollywood has promoted the notion of the evil black man;  the government as an evil entity;  violent, bloody movies in which the heroes are the ones who kill the most using guns. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »

Yeah, but at least they're not nerd franchise movies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
They have not forgotten that. They HATE that.

ANYTHING not relentlessly pushing their agenda must either be destroyed or coopted. Nothing can be allowed outside of leftism.

That is why they are going after these "cultural icons." They will either turn them to their own purposes or destroy them. Either one is a win for them. (And, yes, burn a pile of cash doing it too, but they have money to burn and since they "torment us for our own good [they] will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”
Years ago, my mother used to watch the TV show Designing Women. She stopped when the show began to get "preachy" and after it was cancelled, she saw an interview where the producer said she HAD to make it preachy, because people kept voting the wrong way, e.g., for Republicans.

And of course, as M*A*S*H began to become preachy, it became less funny, and ratings declined. (I found it was easy to figure out when an episode was directed by Alan Alda, because it sucked.) Even Paul Harvey commented on the decline of comedy on the show.

It's been decades since I watched Saturday Night Live, because it's been decades since it was funny. And I haven't tuned in to the Tonight Show since Leno left. (And Leno was no Johnny Carson.) Each case, the shows became relentlessly left wing, and worse, unfunny. I was able to laugh when Johnny Carson played Reagan, because he could poke fun at someone in a comedic way; today's shows are just plain mean spirited.

And . . . C.S. Lewis was right about people who torment us for "our own good" . . . time to send in the robber barons!  :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 05:43:07 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2019, 04:59:17 PM »
Things you think of while in the shower

1960-early 70s pretty much everything coming out Hollywood were preachy movies.
1975 Jaws comes out and is considered by many the first summer blockbuster. Did it preach? Nope, pure entertainment.
1977 Star Wars come out of nowhere and blows the box office up. Did it preach? Nope, pure entertainment and people couldn't get enough of it and then for the next 30+ years movies were for the most part pure entertainment. The MCU until the most recent movies seem to understand this but even it has showed signs of crashing and burning.
Now it seems like they've gone back to the 60s and early 70 and are scratching their heads are why revenue is down. Guess we need the next Jaws and/or SW to make them realized their mistake.
Not a bad point.  I have tried to watch reruns of The Rifleman and I found it so preachy I couldn't watch it.
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2019, 07:54:13 PM »
Not a bad point.  I have tried to watch reruns of The Rifleman and I found it so preachy I couldn't watch it.

I could never hear the preachy over the rifle shots.... [tinfoil] .....  =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2019, 08:22:25 PM »
And of course, as M*A*S*H began to become preachy, it became less funny, and ratings declined. (I found it was easy to figure out when an episode was directed by Alan Alda, because it sucked.) Even Paul Harvey commented on the decline of comedy on the show.

Found it harder and harder to watch MASH after the third or fourth season or so. Seemed like the point of just about every episode after that was to ram the liberal talking point of the week down your throat. It got unbearable.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2019, 09:25:25 PM »
Found it harder and harder to watch MASH after the third or fourth season or so. Seemed like the point of just about every episode after that was to ram the liberal talking point of the week down your throat. It got unbearable.

Same here. I loved the early seasons, but later on - well, "unbearable" is an understatement.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »
I'll confess to being a big fan of James Bond.  The books and the films.  When Dame Judi Dench was cast as M, I recoiled against the casting choice. But I watched and found I enjoyed her in the role.
When Daniel Craig was cast as Bond, I recoiled again.  Blonde hair. Muscle bound. Not Bond.  But in many ways, he was better than Brosnan, and even more so than Moore.
Now, I'll say again. What I've read is that the film has James Bond retired, and a new agent is assigned the number 007.  SHE IS NOT JAMES BOND.  Bond comes out of retirement to fight the baddies.
Now, this may be as bad as you all say.  Or it may be much ado about nothing. Time will tell.  I'll go see the movie when it comes out and let you all know.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2019, 10:03:50 PM »
lee n. field said,
At this point, I'm perfectly willing to walk away from defaced cultural icons.  I don't beep-ing care.  Do they realize this?

No.  They don't care about you.  They only care about those whom their market research indicates will spend the  money to be brainwashed.

Terry

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2019, 11:39:16 PM »
Taking a wait and see on that one. Hopefully they realized Cap Woke is not the way they should be going.
Although the recent comments I've seen about Spiderman possibly going full on flaming gay has got me wondering. The actor, what's is name, has stated he's all for it.

Now Natalie Portman is the new Thor:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/natalie-portman-thor-4-love-and-thunder-1203274705/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2019, 07:55:21 AM »
Now Natalie Portman is the new Thor:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/natalie-portman-thor-4-love-and-thunder-1203274705/

To be fair, Jane Foster becoming Thor is a storyline from the comics.