Author Topic: 23andme  (Read 5286 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
23andme
« on: July 15, 2019, 08:06:52 AM »
For Prime Day, Amazon has 23andme kits half off at $99, so I decided to get one. I guess it takes 6-8 weeks to get results, but I've always been curious. Partially because I'd like to see how accurate these are given that I can already trace my ancestors (at least on my dad's side) and their locations fairly precisely back around 500 years. My mom's side will be more interesting, as they are Germans who migrated to the (currently) Hungary region a couple hundred years ago. Also, I'm interested in the health information.

As far as ancestry, apparently ancestry.com is supposed to be better because of their larger database, but they don't do health related DNA. A quick gazoogle showed that there are several third party sites that let you directly import your 23andme (or whoever's) DNA data into their very large ancestry databases for a small fee, so I'll likely do that as well when the results come in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: 23andme
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 09:29:36 AM »
SWMBO has done one of the kits. From what I can see of her results, they are surprisingly accurate. Thought about getting one for myself. The only holdup is that I'm adopted. Not sure what the ramifications would be (suddenly getting a hanger-on bio parent or sib, someone suddenly finding out they have a bio brother they didn't know they had, etc.). Still mulling it over.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:10:44 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:11:30 AM »
Yeah... no thanks. As far as I can tell, the data that they pull from your profile has surprisingly few limitations on how they can use it or how it will be protected.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 10:45:25 AM »
Not much downside to me doing it.

I have immediate family and cousins who have done it and that’s enough to get back to me.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 11:25:43 AM »
I've been thinking of doing this also.  I started looking into it and found that Crigenetics does the same thing.  I've been looking at online comparisons.
 Does anyone here have any insight about the accuracy between the different DNA tests?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 11:28:31 AM »
It’s why IDLife partnered with a medical DNA company for our DNA Health testing: HIPAA compliance.
Ancestry hasn’t ever really interested me.  I can trace my ancestry to a hospital in California and that’s good enough for me 🤣
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 12:01:18 PM »
"I can trace my ancestry to a hospital in California and that’s good enough for me"

That's what THEY want you to know...

Don't ask questions.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 12:31:03 PM »
Yeah... no thanks. As far as I can tell, the data that they pull from your profile has surprisingly few limitations on how they can use it or how it will be protected.

^^^ This. I have already seen multiple reports of police going after DNA data from Ancestry.com to track criminals. I'm very curious about what my DNA might show regarding my ancestry ... but I'm not curious enough to voluntarily put my DNA into anyone's data banks. Thanks, but no thanks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »
Plus... don’t forget the fact, that if they have your DNA, it’s already been proven that it can be amplified, added to cells, and plantedcas evidence.

Barack Obama

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/07/03/mail-ancestry-dna-kits-may-help-enemy-target-you-navys-top-officer-says.html?ESRC=navy-a_190710.nl

Tailored bioweapons for a subset of the population. The article does bring up some interesting ideas but the cost vs return makes it so impractical at this time it seems to be more of science fiction than not. But give it time. ;)

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 01:53:05 PM »
"I can trace my ancestry to a hospital in California and that’s good enough for me"

That's what THEY want you to know...

Don't ask questions.
It’s why the Area 51 raid scares me so...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 02:11:07 PM »
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/07/03/mail-ancestry-dna-kits-may-help-enemy-target-you-navys-top-officer-says.html?ESRC=navy-a_190710.nl

Tailored bioweapons for a subset of the population. The article does bring up some interesting ideas but the cost vs return makes it so impractical at this time it seems to be more of science fiction than not. But give it time. ;)

bob

It might be a lot more cost effective to have weapons tailored to individual's smart phone signals.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 02:16:20 PM »
Man bun seeking munitions.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 02:35:34 PM »

bob

No so far fetched. The South Africans were working upon this sort of thing once upon a time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Coast

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 04:47:28 PM »
It's the Pax!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 07:52:16 PM »
My younger sister did the 23&me thing.  Got the answer(s) we expected (Irish and Northern European/Germany with a smattering of Scandanavian and British.)

She keeps hounding me to do it. To which I point out, that my results will be the same as hers and if not* then a *expletive deleted*it-storm will ensue.  There is no upside.

* - There is 0.0000 reason to believe that my parents are not my parents...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »
My sister had one of these done (so no point in me spending the money) and it pretty much confirmed what we already knew: Scandinavian and Wales/Scotland/Ireland.     My mother's side is Scottish, my father's Norwegian.  One interesting find was some 10% was from the "Iberian Peninsula", so I'm guessing some of my Viking ancestors vacationed in Spain.  Who knows.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »
Good grief, people, think. Twice. If Orwell knew people would willingly put microphones and cameras in their homes, and send off dna samples to the feds, (and yes, they are going to the feds), he would have written "You fools deserve what is coming", rather than "1984".

I would not be one bit surprised if the entire DNA "ancestry" BS was in fact a fed operation from the very start, part of the total information awareness program.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 10:43:53 PM »
I did the Ancestry.com test two years ago.  My brother and I knew our origins on our mother's side, but our father was adopted.  It turned out that a story we were told about his biological mother was a lie.  In any case, it says I am mostly Polish and Czech, with a noteworthy sprinkle of Irish and Scandinavian blood.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 11:29:39 PM »

Landing on the moon and space stations were science fiction when I was a kid. So was Dick Tracy's two-way wrist TV -- now you can buy them at any Apple store.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »
There have been some interesting stories on Faceplace about people who have done the DNA testing and come up with some... unexpected... results.

Things like "you're not your Dad's biological child because your Mom was a whore," or "A direct ancestor of your Scandinavian family was from a bit further south... as in Sub Saharan Africa..." That sort of thing...

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 08:16:44 AM »
Good grief, people, think. Twice. If Orwell knew people would willingly put microphones and cameras in their homes, and send off dna samples to the feds, (and yes, they are going to the feds), he would have written "You fools deserve what is coming", rather than "1984".

I would not be one bit surprised if the entire DNA "ancestry" BS was in fact a fed operation from the very start, part of the total information awareness program.

Even the X-Files warned of this where they find secret underground bunkers filled with filing cabinets that contained everyone's DNA samples.

Barack Obama