Author Topic: 23andme  (Read 5216 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: 23andme
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »
My younger sister did the 23&me thing.  Got the answer(s) we expected (Irish and Northern European/Germany with a smattering of Scandanavian and British.)

She keeps hounding me to do it. To which I point out, that my results will be the same as hers and if not* then a *expletive deleted*it-storm will ensue.  There is no upside.

* - There is 0.0000 reason to believe that my parents are not my parents...

If I may point out, you clearly carry genes she does not. Might be interesting to find out where the Y chromosome came from.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 09:24:42 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 09:37:52 AM »
Regarding differences in DNA between siblings...

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/dna-ancestry-test-siblings-different-results-genetics-science/

Interesting article.

I did a facebook live on differences between my daughter and I and our health&fitness DNA profiles
It was enlightening https://www.facebook.com/jason.dunaway.7/videos/vb.1133301415/10218241910735870/?type=3
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 05:03:09 PM by Jamisjockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 09:51:38 PM »
If you use Ancestry you can still download the raw DNA information and submit it to Promethease and get a health report for a few bucks. An uncle of mine used 23&Me and coerced my grandparents into doing the same because he suspected an unusual paternity event but it was absolute nonsense and revealed nothing unusual.

I have used Ancestry, along with my wife, grandmother, mother, and brother. The ethnicity estimates are always developing as the science improves and are mostly good for cocktail party conversation. The actual DNA information however is extremely useful for finding relatives or making contacts to build a family tree. I was provided a solid pedigree from both sides of my family but have built an amazing family tree and discovered previously unknown photographs of ancestors using new contacts and making acquaintance with distant relatives. It can be a powerful tool but for many people it's just a novelty to give them an ethnic background.

There are some interesting variations between family members having used identical tests and seeing how results change through generations. I would consider our results to be fairly accurate with our known history. The algorithms may be close, and if you have evidence of your own one way or another you can decide for yourself how accurate it is.

Ancestry says I am roughly 47% Scandinavian, 42% generic English, Welsh, and Northwestern European, and 11% Scottish/Irish. Paternally, I know from historical records that it's all Swedish and Scottish, and maternally it's English, Rheinland area northern Europe, Irish, and Prussian. My personal ethnicity estimate doesn't say German anywhere but it does for my mother, grandmother, and brother. I take after my father more than my brother does and it's interesting to see that reflected in the numbers.

The health information also confirmed what we knew about a certain history of cancer and disease in our family. It didn't tell us anything new but it definitely wasn't bunk either. As for privacy.... Eh. Cat's already out of the bag.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 01:04:25 AM »
If I may point out, you clearly carry genes she does not. Might be interesting to find out where the Y chromosome came from.

Dad's parents were from Ireland, Mom's for Northern Germany.   Other then some weird .4 (or was .04% Finnish) and .04% (.4%) Iberian Peninsula her's was 49% Irish, 49% Northern European (With the map that came with showing Northern Germany).  It was spot on to what we know. my Brother did the Ancestry.com thing for my Dad's side, and when I was in Germany I went to small northern German town my mom's family is from and saw the records with the family name going back 200 or so years.   And since it is a very, very, very unique German name, I knew I had the right ones.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2019, 06:02:12 AM »
There have been some interesting stories on Faceplace about people who have done the DNA testing and come up with some... unexpected... results.

Things like "you're not your Dad's biological child because your Mom was a whore," or "A direct ancestor of your Scandinavian family was from a bit further south... as in Sub Saharan Africa..." That sort of thing...

Saw a story where identical twins got wildly different results.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2019, 08:26:38 AM »

Dad's parents were from Ireland, Mom's for Northern Germany.   Other then some weird .4 (or was .04% Finnish) and .04% (.4%) Iberian Peninsula her's was 49% Irish, 49% Northern European (With the map that came with showing Northern Germany).  It was spot on to what we know. my Brother did the Ancestry.com thing for my Dad's side, and when I was in Germany I went to small northern German town my mom's family is from and saw the records with the family name going back 200 or so years.   And since it is a very, very, very unique German name, I knew I had the right ones.

Northern Germany?!? That's it. We can't be friends anymore, you Prussian dog!

=D =D =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2019, 07:03:21 PM »
Northern Germany?!? That's it. We can't be friends anymore, you Prussian dog!

=D =D =D

Ahhh,no.   Near Osnabrück, Lower Saxony.  First Duchy of Odenburg, later Kingdom of Westphalia and then Kingdom of Hanover.   Wasn't until the mid 1800's that the Prussians overran it.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »
Ahhh,no.   Near Osnabrück, Lower Saxony.  First Duchy of Odenburg, later Kingdom of Westphalia and then Kingdom of Hanover.   Wasn't until the mid 1800's that the Prussians overran it.

Okay, we can be friends again.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2019, 09:09:44 PM »
Yep, no Prussian Jackboots in my closet.

=D =D =D =D =D =D =D

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2022, 04:29:55 PM »
Revisiting because I jumped on the 23 & Me bandwagon earlier this year. Ancestry DNA, too. My adoption records are bereft of biological parents' adult medical info and familial medical issues so I figured it was worth a shot for that info alone.

Really cool to see the ancestry and genealogy stuff. Confirmed what I presumed due to my green eyes, stocky build, and pale skin... heaping helpings of Scottish and Irish, a dollop of German, and a sprinkling of English and French. Best news was an almost complete lack of genetic markers for really bad medical stuff.

On the adoption side, well... DNA matches got solid hits on an aunt and two first cousins. What's really scary, like seriously scary, is how easy it was to track them down. With only three pieces of info, an hour on Google, and cross-referencing genealogy sites with news postings, obituaries, and social media, I had an entire family tree of all my paternal aunts/uncles (including spouses and home addresses for all, phone numbers for most), paternal grandparents, several cousins, and a half brother. I was able to narrow down my bio father with an extremely high probability, including a current job description, professional bio, and LinkedIn profile. Impressive one, too. MBA from a place that for sure makes you earn it. Founding president and CEO of a large national bank. Board of Directors for another large regional bank. Still alive and lives in Nevada.

Nothing on the maternal side, at least nothing which made me go "Hey, that would be easy to track down". No desire to start digging through DNA hits to try and build a tree.

I stopped there because it had quickly progressed wayyy beyond my scope of curiosity and was getting creepy. One cousin tried to initiate contact but I didn't respond.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 05:03:41 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 12:02:51 AM »
I did Ancestry because it was a gift, did it with my daughter. Figured what the heck, military already has my DNA, huge reason to not do crime.

Mostly as expected, Scotch, Irish, English. Maternal grandfather was  1st gen scottish and paternal grandmother from a been in Virginia 200 years scottish family.

Surprises, returned 0% French DNA and 17% German. There were some germans married into the paternal grandmothers line way back but what I think happened is internal european migrations. We have 100% certain family history that my maternal grandmothers family emigrated in the 1700s as French Hugenots when things weren't so good for them. No trace of that. Also not what line that afflicted me with my name.

Came back about 10% Scandinavian with no family history so that figures to be the Irish/English part of my dad's family that came to Virginia in the 1600s. Surname goes back in England/Ireland as possibly derived from the men from the north.

Also surprised at 0% African. In Virginia that long, things happened. My grandfather looked completely like an elderly black man of light complexion when he got old. Still think something was running around.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2022, 10:44:24 PM »
 I'm reasonably certain I'm part Irish and part Viking, I will destroy your village and get drunk then write a very sad song about your poor village that got destroyed
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2022, 03:28:14 AM »
American since the mid 1600s on my dad's side, Scottish before that. Supposedly a LITTLE American Indian (Choctaw and Cherokee), and I wouldn't be that surprised what else got thrown in. My mom's side includes "Hoffman"s and "Wooten"s, so German and Idunno. So, American mutt?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2022, 04:54:30 PM »
Regarding differences in DNA between siblings...
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/dna-ancestry-test-siblings-different-results-genetics-science/
Interesting article.

My sister and i have both done 23andme. Very different backgrounds despite having the same parents. I’m 37% Scandinavian, she got none of the Viking blood. I also got .1% Native American and .1% Spanish that she didn’t have. I also had 3 or 4% Neanderthal and she barely registered.

My father, who was adopted out of the nursery, took Ancestry in January 2020. Immediately found a niece. Turned out she had also been given up for adoption; but had just in the previous week found her bio mother, who was my father’s full sister.

Turns out that on top of her, my father has two other full sisters though one passed a few years ago. His parents were high school sweethearts when he came along, gave him up; but got married right out of school. He missed meeting his dad by 10 years, and his mom by 4. Neither of his sisters had any idea their parents had given up a baby, and were both really happy to have a brother.

It also turns out that his parents were best friends with my mother’s best friend Wendy’s parents. My parents were dating when Wendy got married, so my dad was at a wedding with his bio parents and had no idea.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2022, 10:30:08 PM »
Considering how the "authorities" have taken to accessing the DNA databases to solve cold cases, I'm not sure I want that information out there.  My mother did enough genealogical research years ago that we know our ancestry includes Scottish, Irish, French, Dutch, German, and English.
That's enough to satisfy me.  And yes, I'm a "mutt".
  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2022, 10:43:28 PM »
Considering how the "authorities" have taken to accessing the DNA databases to solve cold cases, I'm not sure I want that information out there.
I agree completely. I'm curious, but not THAT curious.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/01/how-police-can-use-your-dna-to-solve-crimes-without-consent/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2022, 10:46:15 PM »
The reality is that you don’t have to ever use the service. Your sister or nephew or cousin can do it and they can get close enough to pin you down.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2022, 12:03:41 AM »
The reality is that you don’t have to ever use the service. Your sister or nephew or cousin can do it and they can get close enough to pin you down.
Is that close enough for the "authorities" to pin you down, too?
7-11 was a part time job.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2022, 08:13:34 AM »
Is that close enough for the "authorities" to pin you down, too?
Yes, that is what I am saying.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2022, 11:20:46 AM »

The Snohomish County Sheriff was an early adopter of using DNA and forensic genealogy to solve cold cases.  By building family trees from DNA samples, they can identify people through distant relatives.  They have used this to identify suspects and identify skeletal remains found in the local forests.

https://www.forensicmag.com/587803-Retiring-Cold-Case-Detective-Solves-15th-Case-with-IGG-in-4-Years/
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/cases-that-have-been-solved-thanks-to-forensic-genealogy/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2022, 01:04:22 PM »
Ah ha. Thanks.
7-11 was a part time job.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2022, 12:02:00 PM »
One cousin tried to initiate contact but I didn't respond.

Brad

Revisit because I finally responded, being careful to acknowledge that my interest was related to medical history and not "instant family". To my surprise, they replied warmly and were very supportive of discretion and respect. We didn't strike up a conversation and all that, but it was a nice note and offer of information if I wanted.

What I didn't know is that she began contacting others in her family. I'm not surprised, as that kind of information generates questions. The result was contact from her sister via an Ancestry account. I now have an open and quite cordial invitation to contact her and my half-brother at any time. I likely will as I still want adult medical info, but may delve more deeply as comfort and discretion allows.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:16:42 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2022, 08:58:36 AM »
"but may delve more deeply as comfort and discretion allows."

You want a balrog?

Because that's how you get a *expletive deleted*ing balrog.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2022, 09:38:43 AM »
You want a balrog?

Because that's how you get a *expletive deleted*ing balrog.

Which version... Lord of the Rings or Epic Rage Quit=D

Brad
-HankB