Author Topic: Hemp as a food source  (Read 638 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Hemp as a food source
« on: July 16, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »
Two questions:

When Conspiracy Coworker Alternative Medicine guy offers me a "hemp bar," is it wrong of me to respond with, "No thanks. I'll stick with my Big Corporate snacks"?

If hemp be such a valuable food source, why have humans been using it for rope and such, instead of eating it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Hemp as a food source
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »
You don't eat the hemp plant itself, you eat the seeds.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 01:23:07 PM »
If the hemp flowers have been prepared properly you get CBD oil which is infused into the eatable and you get the benefit of the cannabidiol for stress, better sleep and reduction of inflammation inter alia.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 01:58:22 PM »
You don't eat the hemp plant itself, you eat the seeds.

It was my understanding that the seeds (and stems) were less desirable.

They are certainly cheaper for the same size bag.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 02:15:26 PM »
How hard is it on soil?

Corn and tomatoes from what I gather really deplete the soil.

How about hemp?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 02:30:31 PM »
Hemp seeds do contain complete proteins and unsaturated fats, but not enough to substantively affect the nutritional values of a snack-sized bar. All things hemp are a hot trend right now so I'm guessing the primary benefit is the marketing value.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 02:39:33 PM »
^^^I tend to lump hemp seeds, chia seeds, kale and quinoa all together from the standpoint of fad food marketing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 02:49:09 PM »
Except Quinoa is actually a very nutritious grain. It's far less fad and far more thunder.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 02:55:50 PM »
Friend of mine will stir a dab of butter and a little cream cheese into quinoa while it's still hot from cooking. A little salt and pepper or whatever her spice craving for the day is. She uses it like a spread on toast or crackers. Surprisingly good.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 03:27:19 PM »
Two questions:

When Conspiracy Coworker Alternative Medicine guy offers me a "hemp bar," is it wrong of me to respond with, "No thanks. I'll stick with my Big Corporate snacks"?

If hemp be such a valuable food source, why have humans been using it for rope and such, instead of eating it?

People have eaten it historically. After being more or less illegal for almost 100 years in the US. People don’t really know all it was used for. Oil for lamps, or in foods, seeds in food. Rope, clothing, paper, sails. Lots of uses. Yeah currently a lot of it is fad/marketing, but there are a lot of real world uses besides getting high for marijuana and hemp which are related, but not the same exact strains of various members of the Cannibis family of plants.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 03:39:22 PM »
I've had a hemp ale, I didn't specifically ask for it, but it was pretty good.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 03:55:17 PM »
How hard is it on soil?

Corn and tomatoes from what I gather really deplete the soil.

How about hemp?

Has the similar inputs as dent corn. Plus at harvest you remove the whole plant which reduces organic matter in the soil.  

The unanswered question is "What do you do with it after harvest?" it is a bulky raw fiber product that per lb isn't worth much. The seed part is a bit different, one can treat that like soybeans, truck it to a market. There is going to have to be processing mills near the growing areas to make the fiber even marketable. I think the old tobacco and cotton areas are doing/going to do this. Places like Iowa and Illinois, row crops are king due to how the farm economy is/has changed to. Will take many years to break that style of agronomy/farming.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:31:15 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »
People have eaten it historically. After being more or less illegal for almost 100 years in the US. People don’t really know all it was used for. Oil for lamps, or in foods, seeds in food. Rope, clothing, paper, sails. Lots of uses. Yeah currently a lot of it is fad/marketing, but there are a lot of real world uses besides getting high for marijuana and hemp which are related, but not the same exact strains of various members of the Cannibis family of plants.

This

The seeds are good and nutritious.  Not enough caloric value as a primary food source but fine enough to be part of a snack bar or eaten raw on a salad.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 07:54:51 PM »
I've had a hemp ale, I didn't specifically ask for it, but it was pretty good.

Well-played invirtuous signal.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »
My airline advises us not to eat hemp products as we may get a false positive for THC during a drug test.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 03:02:04 PM »
I was offered the hemp bar again, and was hungry enough to accept it. I didn't think it was that great, but it was "cookie dough" flavored, and I'm not a cookie dough guy. (Though I am a bit doughy from eating cookies.)

The guy I work with seems to assume, since he's knows I'm a conservative Evangelical, that I'm all upset about pot being legalized. He's tried for a couple of years now to get a rise out of me about the subject. Maybe he thinks it's working. I don't know. As soon as I ate the bar, I started watching the I Am the Walrus music video, and talking about all the pretty colors, and how I have the Reefer Madness. He didn't seem to get the joke.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 05:53:42 PM »
Well hell, you mean way back when I could have been eating those seeds and not tossing them out or missing one and have it cause of shower of sparks that was dangerous to my clothing....the things we learn when we get older.  =|

bob