Author Topic: Handgun lockbox for cars...  (Read 986 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Handgun lockbox for cars...
« on: July 16, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »
Since I started carrying regularly again, I've just been locking my carry gun in my glove box. Not a great solution, but better than nothing...

Came across the Liberty HD-50 on Amazon for $19.99 via Amazon prime, so I grabbed one.

https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Handgun-Vaults-Small-Vault/dp/B077FJB2Y9/ref=sr_1_26?gclid=CjwKCAjw67XpBRBqEiwA5RCocUoTWlKJJtN2AUoQvozco6bh9F7RvcOwEDpZ_E5_gcctTprMt-UPWxoCQUsQAvD_BwE&hvadid=282692397010&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1027106&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16239385430220443479&hvtargid=kwd-4213224406&hydadcr=9380_9621510&keywords=gun+safe+for+car&qid=1563295245&s=hi&sr=1-26

Probably not the greatest piece of kit in the world, but it's better than nothing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Handgun lockbox for cars...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:57:49 PM »
^^^I have the combination lock equivalent of that. It is cabled underneath my driver's seat in the Tacoma.  I figure it will deter the typical 'smash and grab' type of car prowl in this area and most of the thieves don't carry bolt/cable cutters.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
^^^I have the combination lock equivalent of that. It is cabled underneath my driver's seat in the Tacoma.  I figure it will deter the typical 'smash and grab' type of car prowl in this area and most of the thieves don't carry bolt/cable cutters.

I also have the combo lock equivalent, kept one number off the combination for quick access. Also figure it will at least stop smash and grab.

I used it more in CA as a workaround to the stupid vehicle carry laws there. I'm not really using it in ID. The only time I need to take my gun off is for quick trips into the post office, or my bank or whatever, so I end up just sticking it in the center console for the ten or so minutes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 01:25:00 PM »
"I figure it will deter the typical 'smash and grab' type of car prowl in this area and most of the thieves don't carry bolt/cable cutters."

Exactly my thinking. It will be a lot easier to get into the glove box than it will be into the lock box.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 03:00:38 PM »
I use something very similar- has cable to loop around seat hardware. I stuff it under the seat.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 05:00:47 PM »
I was thinking you could find an old CD case and put that box inside it so it doesn't look like something anyone would want.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 05:14:03 PM »
I was thinking you could find an old CD case and put that box inside it so it doesn't look like something anyone would want.

Where I work, lowlifes will smash your window if anything at all is visible

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 07:47:36 AM »
Fortunately there's not a lot of crime in my area. There are occasional car smash & grabs but they're fairly rare.

Some years ago I lost a bag out of my car when I left the car unlocked overnight and forgot the bag.

I found it behind my house, rifled through... I hope whomever stole it enjoyed sticking their hands in my gross, sweaty gym clothes...

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 07:55:03 AM »
I have one I use on the rare occasion I have to disarm in my car.  It lives cable-locked under my seat.

Our local issues are far more weighted toward people checking door handles for unlocked vehicles over smashing windows, although I'm sure if they thought they could get a gun out of it they'd break a window.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 07:59:42 AM »
My biggest gripe about this so far is that it's kind of hard to lock.

Apparently the slot in the locking bar, into which the key lock tab goes, are very similar in size so it can take some jiggling to get the tab into the locking slot. I'm thinking of taking a grinding wheel and relieving the slot a bit at an angle so that it will guide the tab into the slot a bit easier.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 08:11:14 AM »
My biggest gripe about this so far is that it's kind of hard to lock.

Apparently the slot in the locking bar, into which the key lock tab goes, are very similar in size so it can take some jiggling to get the tab into the locking slot. I'm thinking of taking a grinding wheel and relieving the slot a bit at an angle so that it will guide the tab into the slot a bit easier.

Also one problem I've found is that occasionally with a full size pistol, mine can become stuck in the locked position. I'm not sure exactly what causes it. Shaking the box usually frees the mechanism and gets it open.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 08:28:34 AM »
I just bought an Amazon Basics electronic pistol security container that I'm going to try to mount somewhere inside my car.  It got a good review from Bosnian Bill which is pretty impressive.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 09:16:46 AM »
I just bought an Amazon Basics electronic pistol security container that I'm going to try to mount somewhere inside my car.  It got a good review from Bosnian Bill which is pretty impressive.

Which one? I was surprised Amazon had a "basics" handgun safe, let alone several.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 09:32:26 AM »
Also one problem I've found is that occasionally with a full size pistol, mine can become stuck in the locked position. I'm not sure exactly what causes it. Shaking the box usually frees the mechanism and gets it open.

I've not had that issue. My guess is that the gun is shifting just enough that it's jamming the locking tab.

I don't have to worry about that, at least not right now, as the gun I'm carrying is quite a bit smaller than the box.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 10:02:57 AM »
Which one? I was surprised Amazon had a "basics" handgun safe, let alone several.
I actually ordered two.  One to sit on top of my safe to hold my carry guns overnight, the other for the car.

The one for the car that Bosnian Bill gave a thumbs up on: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GFDSKY3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note that this is kind of large to fit under a seat and would have to be bolted in as it does not come with a provision for cable locking.

The one for my carry pistol: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDYVN47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not completely thrilled with the fingerprint reliability but it isn't terrible.  If I'm in a hurry I'll grab the rifle above the closet doorframe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 08:18:37 AM »
Fortunately there's not a lot of crime in my area. There are occasional car smash & grabs but they're fairly rare.

Some years ago I lost a bag out of my car when I left the car unlocked overnight and forgot the bag.

I found it behind my house, rifled through... I hope whomever stole it enjoyed sticking their hands in my gross, sweaty gym clothes...

Unfortunately, I work in a very lefty neighborhood of Milwaukee. Property crimes are the rule, not the exception. =|

ETA: I saw bums camping out across the street from where I work when I came in I work this morning. At least the company I work for has recently put up a security fence around our parking lot after a lot of complaints from employees.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 08:22:49 AM »
"Unfortunately, I work in a very lefty neighborhood of Milwaukee. Property crimes are the rule, not the exception."

Ah, excellent! Rat-born plagues and *expletive deleted*it piles in the streets coming soon!