Author Topic: Now Philly.  (Read 1164 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Now Philly.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/08/14/6-philadelphia-police-officers-shot-in-philadelphias-nicetown-tioga-section-officials-say/

Gunfire erupted when a warrant was being served at the location on the 3700 block of North 15th Street around 4:30 p.m., police say. Officers were first called to the scene for narcotics activity, according to Philadelphia Police Capt. Sekou Kinebrew.

I don't think this is the same.  Police going after bad guy, bad guy starting gun fight.  Not the same as the two shootings last week at all.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 06:37:02 PM »
Implication it was a narcotics warrant . . . considering what went on in Houston, I think it's important to reserve judgement until the facts are known. A major factor will be if and when police dash cam and body cam footage is made available.

Any word on whether or not it was a "no knock" warrant?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 06:53:42 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 07:01:17 PM »
That didn't take long

Tom Elliott @tomselliott

.@KamalaHarris suggests her 2020 gun-control policies would have stopped the anti-police mass shooting in Philly.
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/08/14/shes-despicable-kamala-harris-wastes-no-time-politicizing-active-philly-shooting-situation-and-cnns-only-too-happy-to-indulge-video/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — At least six Philadelphia police officers were shot during a gun battle in Philadelphia’s Nicetown-Tioga section and rushed to the hospital on Wednesday afternoon, authorities say. Another officer was injured in a car crash while heading to the scene. CBS News reports two officers are inside the second floor of the home with three prisoners, while the gunman remains on the first floor.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross says he believes the officers trapped inside the home are OK.
Sources tell CBS3 the suspect was live-streaming some of the shootout while he barricaded himself inside a building. The source says authorities are working to shut the live-stream down.
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/08/14/6-philadelphia-police-officers-shot-in-philadelphias-nicetown-tioga-section-officials-say/
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 09:19:53 PM »
Russian collusion with the NRA.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 10:09:43 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »
There is no way that her proposed policies would or could have prevented this.

And, as a former prosecutor, she knows it.

She knows it, and you know that she knows it, and she knows that you know that she knows it.
But her voters are too busy perfecting the art of nose picking to know it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 10:55:57 PM »
Mayor Jim Kenney called the officers “brave” and that they need help with gun control to keep weapons out of criminals’ hands.

Kenney said officers “don’t deserve to be shot at for hours.”
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 11:52:41 PM »
By our standards it is reasonable for criminals to be that prepared. They're dealing with a city that bombed itself, they'd be nuts to not be armed.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 12:35:41 AM »
They're dealing with a city that bombed itself, they'd be nuts to not be armed.

Good ... I'm not the only person who remembers that.

If there weren't two cops barricaded on the second floor, they'd probably do it again in this case.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 07:08:09 AM »
It's okay, they captured the white supremacist.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
From what I heard, a multiple felon with a long rap sheet who I am sure passed a background check to get his gun(s).  If only we had red flag laws, this could have been prevents. 

Oh? You say it started with police serving a narcotics warrant?   :facepalm:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 09:26:48 AM »
From what I heard, a multiple felon with a long rap sheet who I am sure passed a background check to get his gun(s).  If only we had red flag laws, this could have been prevents.  

Yup, and dems "pounce" on people who buy and own guns legally. Like clockwork.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/08/15/elizabeth-warren-and-other-dems-want-gun-reform-after-violent-felon-who-was-arrested-about-a-dozen-times-arrested-again-for-shooting-6-cops/

Hill’s history in the adult criminal justice system began in 2001 when he was 18 and was arrested with a gun that had an altered serial number.

Public records show that he has been arrested about a dozen times since turning 18, and convicted six times on charges that involved illegal possession of guns, drug dealing, and aggravated assault. He has been in and out of prison; the longest sentence handed him came in 2010, when a federal judge gave him a 55-month term.

Hill also spent time in federal prison. In 2008, he pleaded guilty to federal firearms violations after he was caught with a Smith & Wesson .357 and later a Taurus PT .45 semiautomatic. His prior felony convictions should have barred him from owning those weapons. U.S. District Judge Paul S. Diamond sentenced him to four years and seven months in prison.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »
With all his prior arrests and felony convictions, it's sounding very much like this guy should have been sitting in a prison cell rather than running around loose. If he was on parole, were there conditions of his parole that required him to submit to searches by law enforcement? Unknown at this point.

Oh? You say it started with police serving a narcotics warrant?   :facepalm:

When police present someone with a valid warrant, the proper thing to do is honor the warrant peacefully. This applies to everyone, regardless of their record (or lack of same), parole status, or whatever. Duh.

The question is - did the police present him with a valid warrant before attempting to enter his place?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 03:46:37 PM »
I think I was commenting on the fact that he was a known felon rather than a pillar of the community.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 04:12:24 PM »
I think I was commenting on the fact that he was a known felon rather than a pillar of the community.

In many communities being a known felon is the first requirement for being a pillar of the community.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »
In many communities being a known felon is the first requirement for being a pillar of the community.

True. How many of you picked up on the reports that the "community" was taunting the cops while the stand-off was playing out.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »

Honestly,  these days I'd want some context on the "felony" before I decided someone shouldn't be a pillar.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 05:50:59 PM »
Honestly,  these days I'd want some context on the "felony" before I decided someone shouldn't be a pillar.

This.

Quote from: HankB
With all his prior arrests and felony convictions, it's sounding very much like this guy should have been sitting in a prison cell rather than running around loose. If he was on parole, were there conditions of his parole that required him to submit to searches by law enforcement? Unknown at this point.

All we know is he's a drug dealer.  We don't know if he's a polite and consensual drug dealer, or not.  It's entirely possible to be a felon while serving a market that greatly desires what you have and not harming a soul.

Quote from: Ben
Yup, and dems "pounce" on people who buy and own guns legally. Like clockwork.

This is dangerously close to conflating legality with morality.

Quote from: Hawkmoon
True. How many of you picked up on the reports that the "community" was taunting the cops while the stand-off was playing out.

Good on them.  They remember the firebombing.  And they kept a sharp spotlight on the cops, so they didn't do a bunch of sketch shyt out of bravado/vendetta.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »

This is dangerously close to conflating legality with morality.

Huh?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 07:00:09 PM »
It's okay, they captured the white supremacist.

:rofl:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 08:38:46 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife