Author Topic: She must be believed  (Read 1055 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
She must be believed
« on: August 13, 2019, 03:12:15 PM »
John Does accused of sexual misconduct in universities are suing over lack of due process.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/campus-men-were-punished-over-metoo-allegations-now-theyre-suing

An example of what they're up against:

Michelle Simpson Tuegel, who represented an accused student in a due-process Title IX lawsuit against Texas A&M in 2017, and has since represented gymnast survivors in the Nassar cases, pointed to the “chilling effect” that defamation lawsuits can have on survivors.

“It seems to me that it’s just another way to bully victims into being silent,” Simpson Tuegel said.

“There has to be some due process, and I think people have a right to have an attorney and to know the accusations against them,” she added. “But in these cases, it does more harm than good for both sides, and it very rarely is successful.”

So everyone is entitled to due process ... except when it's a male student accused on rape or sexual assault, in which case it does more harm than good for both sides. ??? How does that work, exactly? If I have been accused of something that stands to destroy my life and future career, exactly how does it do me MORE harm to allow me to have due process?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
Re: She must be believed
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »
My understanding is when you enroll the fine print basically says you agree to the school deciding such cases, so you have a "choice".  But the only real choice is to not get a degree, so hopefully suits like that will address the inequity.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 05:53:16 PM »
[A] Baylor spokesman said there were several “inaccurate claims” in Doe’s lawsuit but confirmed the Title IX office found Doe “responsible for, among other things, violating Baylor’s policy prohibiting non-consensual sexual contact with a student.”

I posted this to facebook, but I think one of the real issues is Universities trying to keep what are rightfully criminal matters out of their stats.  The policy mentioned above is at the least Sexual Assault, and might be Rape.  He should have gone to court.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 07:40:42 PM »
I posted this to facebook, but I think one of the real issues is Universities trying to keep what are rightfully criminal matters out of their stats.  The policy mentioned above is at the least Sexual Assault, and might be Rape.  He should have gone to court.

Ah, yes. The Miami-Broward solution at the university level ...

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »
She must be believed

Unless his name is Bill Clinton
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 10:02:57 PM »
Gee, I haven't posted this for at least a month:

Accusations are cheap.
Defense is expensive.

I think last time it was for another one of those "it's Trump's fault" things.  Or maybe it was for someone screaming "racist."

Something or other.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
If someone at a university commits rape or sexual assault, it ought to be a matter for the courts and police - and out of the hands of university administration.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 02:38:28 PM »
If someone at a university commits rape or sexual assault, it ought to be a matter for the courts and police - and out of the hands of university administration.

Agreed. 

It is a big mess.  I imagine it is a combination of:
1.  Universities that have too much money at stake,
2.  Administrators that are practically govt employees so their motivation is not necessarily to fix the problem.
3.  An area full of 18 to 24 year old adults (many with money) and all the immaturity and irresponsibility, and hormones that brings.

I am sure there are plenty of other factors. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 05:15:03 PM »
Agreed. 

It is a big mess.  I imagine it is a combination of:
1.  Universities that have too much money at stake,
2.  Administrators that are practically govt employees so their motivation is not necessarily to fix the problem.
3.  An area full of 18 to 24 year old adults (many with money) and all the immaturity and irresponsibility, and hormones that brings.

I am sure there are plenty of other factors. 

Not really. Basically, your numbers 1 and 2 are at work. The administrators are only concerned with not losing government money if they're seen as "soft" on sexual assaults.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 02:05:05 AM »
 #4 should be  "Good" girls wanting to be bad, then excusing the behavior to the world and to themselves by claiming they were forced.

You remember this old joke about how...

"Oh, no, Clem!"

"Please!"

"Don't!"

"Stop!"

Got changed to...

"Oh, no, Clem,  please don't stop!"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:18:52 AM by 230RN »