Author Topic: Trump on the shootings...  (Read 4841 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Trump on the shootings...
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2019, 01:36:10 PM »
I think the best response to the Red Flag situation is to anonymously Red-Flag-Report all the politicians and cops that support the concept or execute Red Flag seizures.

Oh, it's not like an ahole like Trump couldn't be red flagged immediately.

He's had at least 2 rape accusations (neither credible, as far as I can tell).

Losing your gun rights because someone is mad at you and makes unsupported allegations is a due process nightmare.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2019, 02:50:01 PM »
Oh, it's not like an ahole like Trump couldn't be red flagged immediately.

He's had at least 2 rape accusations (neither credible, as far as I can tell).

Losing your gun rights because someone is mad at you and makes unsupported allegations is a due process nightmare.
And how many politicians and others who should know better talked about those allegations like we should take them seriously even though no evidence was presented.  Makes me think any evidence requirements will just be waved due to the "seriousness of the allegation". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
When it's a Fox News poll, and it still heavily leans "gun control", I start to worry. Even the Rs polled said shootings are 60% mental health and 30% firearms access. If Trump pushes either "enhanced" background checks or red flag laws, I'm still saying he won't lose many votes. We have to remember gun owners are a smallish portion of his overall base, and much of his base would, sadly, seem to be fine with the proverbial "common sense" legislation.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-most-back-gun-restrictions-after-shootings-trump-ratings-down
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2019, 07:59:15 PM »
I think red flag laws are the easy, safe win for R's. Due Process is a nebulous idea to most people,  and everyone know at least one person the think shouldn't have guns.

Sadly, I think they are the more dangerous laws for liberty in general.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2019, 08:04:21 PM »
and everyone know at least one person the think shouldn't have guns.

As far as the Ds are concerned that's everyone but themselves and their goons
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 09:30:36 PM »
I for one am somewhat on pins and needles waiting for the next one to push them over the edge. I keep expecting to see a breaking news report pop up.

You just had to go there, didn't you?

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/08/14/6-philadelphia-police-officers-shot-in-philadelphias-nicetown-tioga-section-officials-say/

It will almost certainly turn out that the perp is a convicted felon who should already have been prevented from possessing firearms by a half dozen or more laws that didn't work (likely because they weren't enforced), so the obvious solution WON'T be to start enforcing the laws we have, it will be to enact more laws that won't be enforced.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2019, 11:41:54 AM »
I think the best response to the Red Flag situation is to anonymously Red-Flag-Report all the politicians and cops that support the concept or execute Red Flag seizures.

Don't forget Fredo.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/08/14/6-philadelphia-police-officers-shot-in-philadelphias-nicetown-tioga-section-officials-say/

It will almost certainly turn out that the perp is a convicted felon who should already have been prevented from possessing firearms by a half dozen or more laws that didn't work (likely because they weren't enforced), so the obvious solution WON'T be to start enforcing the laws we have, it will be to enact more laws that won't be enforced.
Good prediction.  I don't know how you guessed that.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2019, 12:01:48 PM »

Called that one.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia-police-shootings-six-shot-suspect-maurice-hill-20190815.html

Hill’s history in the adult criminal justice system began in 2001 when he was 18 and was arrested with a gun that had an altered serial number.

Public records show that he has been arrested about a dozen times since turning 18, and convicted six times on charges that involved illegal possession of guns, drug dealing, and aggravated assault. He has been in and out of prison; the longest sentence handed him came in 2010, when a federal judge gave him a 55-month term.
Hill also spent time in federal prison. In 2008, he pleaded guilty to federal firearms violations after he was caught with a Smith & Wesson .357 and later a Taurus PT .45 semiautomatic. His prior felony convictions should have barred him from owning those weapons. U.S. District Judge Paul S. Diamond sentenced him to four years and seven months in prison.

But the solution is more new gun control laws.

To rif on Dana Loesch, "How much more illegaler can we make it?"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2019, 12:02:34 PM »
Good prediction.  I don't know how you guessed that.   =D

Some days you're the hammer, some days you're the nail.

Yesterday must have been my hammer day.