Author Topic: Math actually works!  (Read 2123 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Math actually works!
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 08:34:45 AM »
Bob gets the concept.

Once you establish the right angle you have mother point.

You extend the right angle to set the other corner post of the narrow dimension (daughter) and the first post in the long side (son).

After that it's a tape measure and string line job to lay everything else out.

Getting the mother, daughter, and son posts set correctly is critical. One of those is out and everything else will skew.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 05:38:10 AM »
Talked to Castle Key the other day about this and it dawned on me, and no one here thought of it, either...

You make a story pole to set your poles. A very straight 2x4, a piece of iron pipe, whatever. Use it carefully and everything is set to the same distance apart.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »
Talked to Castle Key the other day about this and it dawned on me, and no one here thought of it, either...

You make a story pole to set your poles. A very straight 2x4, a piece of iron pipe, whatever. Use it carefully and everything is set to the same distance apart.

How is that easier than laying out the 60' side first with wooden stakes and a piece of string, then marking 10' sections on the string?  Unless the 10' measure is less critical than just having them all the same; then I guess it might be.

Triangulate the first 10' corner to get a right angle, using whatever is your favorite pythagorean triple. ;)  Use a 10' string and a 60' tape measure to locate the 4th corner, then check that the diagonals are the same and make any necessary minor adjustments at that 4th corner post because that's where any errors should show up.  Mark off 10' sections again.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
As we can see, there are probably as many ways of doing this as there are people laying out bocce courts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2019, 03:27:26 PM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2019, 04:19:01 PM »
A storey pole eliminates the creeping errors that can factor in when trying to make final adjustments before your concrete sets.

A tape flexes, kinks, bows out, all of which can throw your measurements off over distance. A storey pole doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk