Author Topic: Recession coming down the road?  (Read 2147 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Recession coming down the road?
« on: August 14, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/14/stock-markets-wall-street-in-focus-amid-earnings-economic-data.html

We are now in a yield curve inversion, which is a pretty reliable indicator of a future recession.  It will be interesting to see if one happens within the next year or two.  Pay off your debts, increase your savings and update your resume.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Recession coming down the road?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 09:00:44 PM »
The media sure seems determined to talk us into one.  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:52:12 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »
These inverse yield curves never seem to have been wrong, though there is quite a bit of wiggle room on when a recession might start. ~6 months to ~2 years is a pretty big window.

I'm actually more concerned with where we are on interest rates. We keep this up, and we're gonna end up like Germany, where with negative interest rates, you have to pay banks to keep your money.

I still submit that 4-5% on a 30 year treasury is a good and stable interest rate. It's not outlandish for loans and mortgages, and it lets banks make a little bit, which means they can pay reasonable interest rates, which are especially good for the elderly, who generally can't survive 10 year stock fluctuations in their retirement accounts, but who also can't survive on 1% payouts in Tbills and the like.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 09:21:32 PM »
Looks like the Dems may get their wish. A recession that gives them more people dependent on the government and they can blame Trump.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 11:49:59 PM »
Of course it is Trump's fault, but truth is we are way overdue.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 11:53:35 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/14/stock-markets-wall-street-in-focus-amid-earnings-economic-data.html

We are now in a yield curve inversion, which is a pretty reliable indicator of a future recession.  It will be interesting to see if one happens within the next year or two.  Pay off your debts, increase your savings and update your resume.

Recession means job security for me, might be flat COL during that time, but Ag producers will be grumpy and that will keep me employed.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 06:33:02 AM »
The media sure seems to determined to talk us into one. 

This, for sure.  And a recession will tank Trump's already slender re-election odds.  I think that's why the media is pushing recession talk so hard right now.
Even Drudge has been linking to any and all recession related stories he can find for weeks now.  Of course, he's never been a real Trump fan, and he's been slowly drifting left for some time.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 08:44:48 AM »
If you take another historical datum into account, no president has ever been re-elected to a second term if a recession kicked in during the first two years of his first term.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »
Experts debate whether or not this inversion curve means we'll have a recession.  OTOH,   predicting another recession is like predicting tomorrow's sunrise:

"Yes,  the sun will rise tomorrow morning .... don't know what time,  but tomorrow.  In the A M."

One report I heard said it could be 22 months out. 
 ???

Will it hurt Trump?

Given the sheer nuttiness of the democrat menagerie,  I'd like to think Trump's 2020 victory is pretty certain.

Then I remember Obama was reelected.
And elected the first time.

And then I recall Trump's own ... uh .... er.... "irregularities,"  shall I say? =D

And yea ..... it ain't no way certain..... :facepalm:

=(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 05:27:06 PM »
Interesting segment on NPRs "All Things Considered" this am.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 05:38:38 PM »
TDS is a broad spectrum.  There are money people that would like him gone too.    Especially if they are behind the scenes investing in a bad market.  The media is a given.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 05:42:51 PM »
TDS is a broad spectrum.  There are money people that would like him gone too.    Especially if they are behind the scenes investing in a bad market.  The media is a given.

I think a bunch of money folks would like to see more predictability in the .Gov. Even a predictable bad market can be made to make money,  whereas worldwide volatility is really hard on long term strategies. You might make a ton, or you might lose everything.

Trump seems to be pretty hard to predict.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 10:21:15 PM »
The one issue I disagree with Trump on is the Stock Market and interest.  Interest rates being as low as they are is an aberration not a norm.  The stock market is at a high that has never been seen.  That is an aberration as well. 

Interest rates would be normal at about 4% on savings/CDs/money market.  The problem is that those artificially low interest rates we have are artificially propping up the stock market.  The Fed was slowly increasing those rates which in my view is what good money/investment policy should happen.  Do it slowly over a few years and the market, though it may decrease, could be stabilized.  That's a win win.  That actually was happening and now it's been reversed.

Retired people and those who are a short time from possible retirement should be able to safely invest in savings instruments.  The banks would be healthier as they could be more conservative.  People are being forced into the volatile market or to be content with very low interest rates on savings.  I don't see where this is good economic/money policy.   
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 10:30:44 PM »
The media sure seems to determined to talk us into one. 

WE ARE DOOMED!!! DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!111
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 04:17:57 AM »
Recessions have be predicted since before Trump was elected, we were told just electing him would cause one. I think this is more media hopefulness than reality. The economy is doing things it hasn't done in a long time with some transition away from a service economy back to manufacturing. The Fed is doing stupid things, but they have always done stupid things. Finally 800 points is a drop in the bucket today, all the biggest drops have been in the last few years, yet we've also had the biggest gains. By percentages those drops aren't quite so big.

Finally I'm sort of surprised the article would even include this nugget as evidence of economic problems.

"Shares of Macy’s tanked more than 13% to their lowest level in a decade after the retailer posted second-quarter earnings way below analysts’ expectations as heavy markdowns used in spring to clear unsold merchandise weighed on profits."

I'm pretty sure Macy's has been going the way of the Dodo bird for at least a decade now. Malls are not the thing they were in the 80's and that is where that business mostly exists.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 08:14:46 AM »
Brick and mortar stores are in their death throes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 01:03:08 PM »
Brick and mortar stores are in their death throes.

Yea, but horse buggy whip makers are doing much worse. =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 01:10:50 PM »
I’ll just leave this here. And the DOW is up about 285 at the moment.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/08/16/stock-market-us-bond-market-trump-china-relation-in-focus.html

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »
If you take another historical datum into account, no president has ever been re-elected to a second term if a recession kicked in during the first two years of his first term.
So does that mean Trump is in the clear?  "first two years"
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 04:22:20 PM »
A mild recession would give me the opportunity to get more bang for the buck in my TSP over the next few years, and then would actually help our other business. People don't like starting new businesses when there's jobs everywhere... [tinfoil]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 04:47:35 PM »
Speaking as someone who will likely be retiring in the next couple of years, I would be thrilled if I could get 4% in a FDIC-insured savings account.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »
Quote from: Donald J. Trump
Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing your companies HOME and making your products in the USA. I will be responding to China’s Tariffs this afternoon.
:O
There might be a few "bumps in the road" coming.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
Economists have predicted 12 of the past 5 recessions.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Pb

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
:O
There might be a few "bumps in the road" coming.
That doesn't sound good.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 03:23:46 PM »
35 minutes left to go, and the Dow is down 564 points so far.