Author Topic: But does it fit in your pocket?  (Read 1162 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
But does it fit in your pocket?
« on: August 15, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
https://www.newser.com/story/279126/teen-who-says-mom-took-her-phone-tweeted-using-plan-d.html

15-year old girl has cell phone and other gadgets taken away by her mother. So she tweets ... using the family's refrigerator.

This is a kid who will either be President, or end up in federal prison at a young age.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:10:08 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: But does it fit in your pocket?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »
You caught me in dumb mode.  Made sense after reading it.  You need to put a "u" in front of "sing the family refrigerator."

Coming from the age where Dick Tracy's wrist radio was laughingly impossible, to now, when Son2 has one of those Apple watches which does everything, I'm not surprised.

You're right about prison and the Presidency.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:28:07 PM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
From the comments.  I wonder if this guy ever does anything without cursing Trump or red staters.
David Dennison 4 hours, 2 minutes ago
Too bad! . . Really it is just too bad! Too bad the whole house didn't burn down. ANYTHING that gets rid of red state trumptrash is a GOOD THING!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 05:11:44 PM »
You caught me in dumb mode.  Made sense after reading it.  You need to put a "u" in front of "sing the family refrigerator."

One of these days I need to teach my fingers how to type. Darned keyboard. Never had these problems with my old IBM "clicky" keyboards.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »
One of these days I need to teach my fingers how to type. Darned keyboard. Never had these problems with my old IBM "clicky" keyboards.

Thread drift:

Mechanical switched keyboards are having a renaissance. Turns out the pro gamers really like them. You can get a really nice "clicky " keyboard again, although they aren't the cheapest.

I'm seriously considering springing for one this fall.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 08:39:53 PM »
I have five or six of the real IBM clicky keyboards. They don't work with any of my computers using the cheap USB/PS2 adapters I have, but they supposedly will work if you have a higher quality adapter.

Make me an offer.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »
I'm going for a new one. I want multimedia keys and a USB passthrough.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 12:16:52 AM »
The old 102 key PS/2 keyboards rocked! Made a handy Melee weapon too!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 09:01:21 AM »
The old 102 key PS/2 keyboards rocked! Made a handy Melee weapon too!

Those are the ones I have.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »
They are also great for annoying office neighbors.

I did love the feel of those keyboards. I've gotten used to mushy keyboards now but those were some nice units. Easy to actually CLEAN too!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 03:22:23 PM »
They are also great for annoying office neighbors.

I did love the feel of those keyboards. I've gotten used to mushy keyboards now but those were some nice units. Easy to actually CLEAN too!

Take all the keycaps off, drop in a bucket of hot water with dishwashing detergent.  Scrub, rinse, dry and re-assemble.  Yep, done it a few times.

May even still have an industrial gray IBM keyboard around.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 03:22:51 PM »
I want an illuminated keyboard. I had a hard time when electric typewriters came out since I was trained on mechanical ones.  It seemed even the slightest preparatory finger touch would create a typo.  At least with the manual ones, you could point to an honest mistake and say, "See that mistake there? I made that mistake.  Right there.  See it?  It's mine."

Terry

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 03:30:51 PM »
I have about half a dozen old IBM clicky keyboards at work.  Rescued them from the dumpster whenever I would see one in there.  I really like them, even tho' I have to use a PS2-USB adapter with the newer computers.  When I retire, they will probably end up in the dumpster again.   :'(  I believe they are worth quite a bit on the used market, but they are not mine; they belong to the company and were expensed a decade or 2 ago.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 07:14:58 PM »
Dumpster rescues become personal property!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 05:49:10 AM »
What HeroHog said.  Just to make yourself comfortable in getting them out of the building, you could mention it to your superior.  But if someone in authority threw them out, I think you have a right to claim abandonment on the part of the company.  The only hangup I can see is that maybe nobody knew that adaptors could be used to restore their utility.

But basically, they're yours now.

(I wonder if it's even legal to (re-)dumpster them nowadays.  I thought all that electronical stuff had to be recycled somehow.  So you may be doing the Co. a favor by "re-cycling" them at home.)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:21:20 AM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 08:50:19 AM »
This was an internal dumpster (a cage, actually) where stuff goes to be reissued or recycled.  Not quite abandoned yet.  As far as the company is concerned, I could have put them there myself so I could pilfer them later.  I could ask my manager (or his manager, but it would be bad form to ask both) if I could take one when I leave.  They won't care, but if they follow the company policy they'll say "no".
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »
I always asked my direct boss, just to be safe. I wound up with working laptops! Sure, they were older and "obsolete" but still quite functional, albeit slow. Got some REAL nice powered speakers with sub-woofers too.
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »
I once set up a complete computer lab for a small, Catholic school serving an Apache reservation in northern New Mexico using entirely computers I scrounged from corporate cast-offs. They got ten (IIRC) computers (a mix of IBM PCs and IBM ATs, back when both were current), four or five printers, and a fax machine. My poor Jeep Cherokee was so heavily loaded that I was riding on the bump stops for three days from home to New Mexico.