Author Topic: Trump looking to buy Greenland?  (Read 3119 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Trump looking to buy Greenland?
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:19:38 AM »
Someone in the media pointing out that Greenland is actually mostly white in 10,9,8,7.................

The idea to purchase the land came up during a roundtable last spring when someone told him Denmark was in financial trouble over spending approximately 60 percent of its annual budget on subsidies to the island.

Since then, he’s discussed the possibility with advisers and asked his White House counsel to explore the matter further. Proponents of the idea have noted Greenland’s abundant natural resources and geopolitical significance, while critics have dismissed the possibility of purchasing it altogether, The Wall Street Journal reports.

Trump Is Reportedly Considering Buying the Largest Island In the World
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2019/08/16/trump-considering-buying-greenland-n2551798
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
Re: Trump looking to buy Greenland?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 10:28:58 AM »
I can't believe I am the first to say it... APS group buy?   =D

Polar bear hunting, anyone?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »
Someone in the media pointing out that Greenland is actually mostly white in 10,9,8,7.................

But they are trying to be woke. They have redone the runway at Thule in the last few years from the white it used to be to a more traditional runway of color, like most other runways.

bob

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 10:47:18 AM »
Denmark says it's not for sale.... but Trump knows how to work a deal.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 11:00:34 AM »
He should get a lower price for their false advertising
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:17:06 AM »
Well we can buy it or we can just sort of squat there. Not like Greenland or Denmark could really force the US off Greenland.

I’m not sure I buy the original reporting on this. I did read somewhere that it may have been a joke in some meetings or some people couldn’t tell if he was serious or not or something. We’ve had other reports and supposed information reported in the past that wasn’t exactly accurate when it comes to Trump and his administration.

You know what, come to think of it. Maybe there is a group in the Whitehouse that has a betting pool on who can get the press to believe the most outrageous whopper. I could see playing that game for fun.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 11:18:26 AM »
Considering this, it may be a very smart move. Not only from the known resources on the island, it would put us with a land mass even closer to the north pole, where there are current disputes with Russia and China(!? Really, China?) over resources there.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 01:22:06 PM »
Maybe we could trade Puerto Rico?  Give them a warm vacation property. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »
Maybe we could trade Puerto Rico?  Give them a warm vacation property. 

Make America Less Tropical
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 02:57:00 PM »

Puerto Rico is green.  Greenland is green (its in the name!).  Fair trade.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 02:59:03 PM »

Tell the Climate Changers that Trump wants to lower the average temperature of the United States.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 03:01:41 PM »
Trump Is Reportedly Considering Buying the Largest Island In the World

All continents are islands. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 03:06:48 PM »
Just out of curiosity, I looked up the largest islands to see how they compare.

https://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/islands.htm

Greenland is more than double, nearly triple the next largest island. CLEARLY the US needs to own that. Especially with Trump at the helm. "We have the largest, most luxurious island in the world!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 03:10:04 PM »
Tell the Climate Changers that Trump wants to lower the average temperature of the United States.   =D

Ha!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 03:34:57 PM »
All continents are islands. 

I don’t think that is true. Continents can’t tip over from having too many people on them.  =)

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 04:24:52 PM »
I don’t think that is true. Continents can’t tip over from having too many people on them.  =)

Touché

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »
Greenland is more than double, nearly triple the next largest island. CLEARLY the US needs to own that. Especially with Trump at the helm. "We have the largest, most luxurious island in the world!"
It should be renamed North Texas.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 12:43:42 AM »
Quote per WLJ:

A:The idea to purchase the land came up during a roundtable last spring when someone told him Denmark was in financial trouble over spending approximately 60 percent of its annual budget on subsidies to the island.

B:Since then, he’s discussed the possibility with advisers and asked his White House counsel to explore the matter further. Proponents of the idea have noted Greenland’s abundant natural resources and geopolitical significance, while critics have dismissed the possibility of purchasing it altogether, The Wall Street Journal reports.

A:What on earth can they be subsidizing on it?  Or is their budget just that small?  Anyhow, we buy it, then we pay those "subsidies."

B: Sounds like Alaska (Seward's Folly).  He (ha-ha) might be thinking in terms of a gradual thawing of the place someday.

MikeB remarked,
You know what, come to think of it. Maybe there is a group in the Whitehouse that has a betting pool on who can get the press to believe the most outrageous whopper. I could see playing that game for fun.

Ayup.  That thought tickles me, too.

(Alaska sold in 1867 for a figure of $7.2m.)

Greenland is surprisingly close to Canadian territory:

The distance from Franklin Island (territory belonging to Greenland) to Ellesmere Island (Canada), across the Nares Strait, is about 25 km. If the Canadian claim to Hans Island is considered valid, Canada is even closer, at a distance of approximately 20 km.
https://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_distance_between_Greenland_and_Canada

Terry
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:30:56 AM by 230RN »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Re: Trump looking to buy Greenland?
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 07:31:23 AM »
Quote per WLJ:

A:What on earth can they be subsidizing on it?  Or is their budget just that small?  Anyhow, we buy it, then we pay those "subsidies."

B: Sounds like Alaska (Seward's Folly).  He (ha-ha) might be thinking in terms of a gradual thawing of the place someday.

MikeB remarked,
Ayup.  That thought tickles me, too.

(Alaska sold in 1867 for a figure of $7.2m.)

Greenland is surprisingly close to Canadian territory:

Terry
Maybe the administration can seek someone out who has a lot of real estate experience to work out a win win deal   😁

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 10:29:18 AM »
Greenland isn't as big as it looks in the usual Mercator projection, which emphasizes size as you approach the poles.  Same thing with Alaska, purchased for $7.2 million

Alaska's "value" today at 3% inflation for 145 years is $523 million based on the latest arm's length purchase price.

Greenland is approximately 2,166,086 sq km, Alaska is about 1,717,856 km2, so it's about 30% bigger than Alaska.

So, correcting for area, Greenland ought to go for about $680 million, neglecting the amenities.  I think it's got an extra bath and a couple more bedrooms than usual, as a licensed appraiser would soon find out.

Terry, 230RN

(I find I have to use this more and more lately: =D )

PS What would become of the Danish Nationals already there?  Dual Citizenship?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:26:40 AM by 230RN »

JN01

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »
It would be a great place for Trump to put a political asylum request processing center.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 03:25:25 PM »
It would be a great place for Trump to put a political asylum request processing center.

All new immigrants are welcome, so long as they live only in Greenland.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 05:35:57 PM »
They'd figure out a screwball way to redistrict it so it ended up with 128 House votes.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 06:35:08 PM »
They'd figure out a screwball way to redistrict it so it ended up with 128 House votes.

Not if it is a territory. >:D

230RN

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »
Not if it is a territory. >:D

Certain unpalatable assumptions in the fullness of time were made involving screaming people and the hand-wringing news media.

See:
https://youtu.be/vPBrt-mdNmQ

Lots can happen "in the fullness of time."

=D