Author Topic: Miniature Horses Cleared For Take Off As Service Animals  (Read 1420 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Miniature Horses Cleared For Take Off As Service Animals
« on: August 17, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »
https://kprcradio.iheart.com/featured/walton-and-johnson/content/2019-08-15-miniature-horses-cleared-for-take-off-as-service-animals/
https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2019/08/14/miniature-horses-cleared-for-take-off-service-animals/

And I thought the last flight I took was a crowded.  I don't recall seeing a service animal of any kind.  

I wonder if they would be just as accommodating for people who wanted to change seats.  

I am also waiting for their statement about pigs flying. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Miniature Horses Cleared For Take Off As Service Animals
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 04:00:16 PM »
Just wait for the lawsuit when that horse stomps on a passenger's foot.  Miniature or not, that's going to break bones.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 04:51:13 PM »
I'd also be more worried about a strange miniature horse kicking someone with those hooves that can be sharp and biting than I would be a dog biting me. Not all miniature horses are very people friendly, sometimes they are more aggressive and stubborn than a full size horse.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 04:53:08 PM »
Miniature horses have been approved as "service" animals for quite some time. This is not new news.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 05:54:42 PM »
Miniature horses have been approved as "service" animals for quite some time. This is not new news.

Speciests, they will do a miniature horse but as soon as I show up with my miniature donkey every one wants to be an ass about it!!

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »
I wonder if they would be just as accommodating for people who wanted to change seats.

We will try, but we can't guarantee anything.  If it comes down to you vs the horse, the horse (or other ADA animal) wins every time.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:42:51 AM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 06:58:20 PM »
 [tinfoil]  I'm still waiting for my Velociraptor service animal ...... >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 07:51:47 PM »
Can I have a Black Mamba on a leash as a service animal?  Would one of those qualify?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 08:02:51 PM »
Can you housebreak a horse?  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 08:15:49 PM »
Can you housebreak a horse?  ???

Having talked to some people in the business, the answer ends up being "Sort of".  It's more housebreaking the owner.  You feed the animal a set amount of food at a set time, and the animal will crap a set time after being fed.  You arrange for the horse to be outside or in the proper area at the proper time.

Training gives you a bit better of a window.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »
Having talked to some people in the business, the answer ends up being "Sort of".  It's more housebreaking the owner.  You feed the animal a set amount of food at a set time, and the animal will crap a set time after being fed.  You arrange for the horse to be outside or in the proper area at the proper time.

Training gives you a bit better of a window.
So the answer is basically "no" . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 11:56:27 PM »
I think it's fair enough for mini horses to be allowed where legitimate service animals are allowed, generally. They are better than dogs in many ways. However, I don't think they should be allowed on planes for safety reasons. Those things weigh over 100 pounds and have sharp hooves. Have you ever been on a plane when it goes through bad turbulence, the kind where you will hit your head on the ceiling if you don't have your seatbelt on?

I have to put my laptop away during landing for legitimate safety reasons of avoiding heavy things flying around the plane in case of accident. But I'm supposed to believe this horse just standing there is safe?

Until they figure out a restraint for them I will not fly if I have to sit near one.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 09:01:52 AM »
We will try, but we can't guarantee anything.  If it comes down to you vs the horse, the horse (or other ADA animal) wins every time.

Can you make the owner of the horse buy space on the plane for it?

Just in that picture the horse is occupying most of the legroom of the window seat. Had I paid for that space I would be more than a little put out.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 09:39:41 AM »
Can you make the owner of the horse buy space on the plane for it?

No, I don't think so.

We would try to move you, but if we couldn't, you would get a refund/voucher for the flight.  It sucks, but that is the ADA for you.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »
No, I don't think so.

We would try to move you, but if we couldn't, you would get a refund/voucher for the flight.  It sucks, but that is the ADA for you.
That was my question.  If you were stuck with a horse in front of you, could get you get off the flight.  I guess so.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »
[tinfoil]  I'm still waiting for my Velociraptor service animal ...... >:D
My Dinosaur Is a Service Animal (with Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard!) | CH Shorts
https://youtu.be/N7HFXgyTya0

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »
No, I don't think so.

We would try to move you, but if we couldn't, you would get a refund/voucher for the flight.  It sucks, but that is the ADA for you.

I'm curious from the legal side (I have zero knowledge): If, say, your seatmate's miniature horse broke your foot, are they responsible for the bills, or would the airline be? Without ADA, I would say you would be able to sue the airline for putting you in that position. With ADA, I'm wondering if the airlines have some immunity because they are basically forced to allow this. Then of course if they're immune from lawsuits, you have to hope the animal's owner has funds to cover your medical expenses, or else you're right out of luck.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 10:43:54 AM »
There was an incident recently where someone's dog bit a passenger.  I am curious how that one will end up.  With a dog, I think the liability would fall on the pet owner.  I don't know if a horse would change that.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »
My Dinosaur Is a Service Animal (with Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard!) | CH Shorts
https://youtu.be/N7HFXgyTya0

:rofl: :rofl:   That was great!!!!

Now you know why I want one of those critters ...... [tinfoil] .... =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero