Author Topic: Nail Guns?  (Read 1941 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Nail Guns?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 11:36:33 AM »
Well, I bought the Ridgid palm nailer yesterday, and have been using it this morning on a few of the final things on the reloading room, mostly 2x4s plus 1/2" plywood for various shelving.

I like it. I think it's much easier than a drill driver and screws. I did some practicing with scrap wood first, and had a bit of a learning curve. 16D and 8D nails are no problem. Using 6D nails however, I'm still mangling them 50% of the time on their way in. I don't know if that's all me, or if the palm nailer is designed for heavier nails.

Regardless, sure wish I'd purchased one of these earlier. It's making me think I might want the nail gun too.

Side note: Harbor Freight air hose accessories suck. I bought (forget the brand) a variety pack of airhose accessories when I bought my new compressor a few months ago. They were the more expensive ones at the store. They are leaky and I find the quick connects somewhat unreliable. I'm gonna have to buy some brand name accessories.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
I have the Paslode Fuel nailer that I bought in the 90s.  Good solid nailgun.  When the framers were building the new house, they used palm nailers on the hurricane clips.  Those have short, fat nails.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 09:57:47 PM »
You're welcome.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 01:42:55 AM »
A framing nailer will shoot 16's, (3 1/4") down to 6's (2") good for general construction, 2x, sheathing, pallets , etc. 16 gauge nailers shoot 2 1/2" finish nails, but do leave a pretty big hole- OK for tract houses. 18 gauge brad nailers shoot -2" finish nails,then you go to the fine finish guns- for furniture. The 23 gauge are real treat-with stainless steel headless pins it is astounding what a guy can nail without splitting- tiny little work.
In a wood shop, one of the unsung used of a nailer or stapler is to make rapid , one time use jigs and fixtures.
A framing nailer is heavy, it has too be or the recoil would break you. The nice thing is there is little shock- framers elbow in painful and takes a long time to recover from.
And ditto the ear and eye protection- those nails can come out at strange angles- do not hold near where you are nailing- they can bend into a U and come out next to where they went in.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2019, 02:01:46 PM »
"Using 6D nails however, I'm still mangling them 50% of the time on their way in. I don't know if that's all me, or if the palm nailer is designed for heavier nails."

Some palm nailers can be "powered down" for use with smaller nails. Not all, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 09:55:09 AM »

Side note: Harbor Freight air hose accessories suck. I bought (forget the brand) a variety pack of airhose accessories when I bought my new compressor a few months ago. They were the more expensive ones at the store. They are leaky and I find the quick connects somewhat unreliable. I'm gonna have to buy some brand name accessories.

I made that mistake, too. Ended up getting a full spate of Milton products and threw the HF junk in the scrap metal bin.

An associated, musing... My brother has converted all his stuff to high-flow fittings. Amazing the difference it makes in air-hungry tools like impact wrenches.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB