Author Topic: Curious about your family tree?  (Read 2117 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Curious about your family tree?
« on: November 06, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »
So am I. And I'm really REALLY glad I haven't sent off my DNA to any of the family tree services.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/your-dna-profile-is-private-a-florida-judge-just-said-otherwise/ar-AAJU2mK
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Curious about your family tree?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 08:43:35 PM »
So am I. And I'm really REALLY glad I haven't sent off my DNA to any of the family tree services.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/your-dna-profile-is-private-a-florida-judge-just-said-otherwise/ar-AAJU2mK

Well I'm not planning on committing any felonies.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 08:50:47 PM »
They don't need your DNA, most of the recent cold crimes solved through DNA have been through chasing down DNA from a 4th cousin or some such thing. They hit up a company that narrows it down to who it *may* be and chase those leads down. Been some pretty cold/high profile stuff solved that way.

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:09:11 PM »
Why do Ancestry, 23, etc keep that data around?  Seems like if they really cared about privacy they would destroy any personal data markers and just aggregate what they could anonymize.  An analogy is storing customer passwords; you don't need to do that, for authentication you can just store a one-way hash of the passwords and if someone steals database that they haven't gotten much.
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 12:49:05 AM »
You can't walk to your car, drive it a mile, park it in the city, walk around the block, get in your car again  and drive it another mile without breaking five laws.

I used to use that a lot.  When I got challenged on it, I'd ask if they'd like to bet ten bucks on it.

If they agreed on the betting, I'd say "That's number one."

Terry
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:14:23 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 07:33:03 AM »
If your family tree goes straight up without branching, chances are you might be an APS member.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 12:09:33 AM »
I used to use that a lot.  When I got challenged on it, I'd ask if they'd like to bet ten bucks on it.

If they agreed on the betting, I'd say "That's number one."

Terry

You can't walk to your car, drive it a mile, park it in the city, walk around the block, get in your car again  and drive it another mile without breaking five laws.

I'm curious what those five laws are?

Uranus is a gas giant.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 10:54:49 AM »
If your family tree goes straight up without branching, chances are you might be an APS member.

Hah!!  When I was rehabbing our cottage into a year round residence back in 1993, I asked my builder friend if the roofer he had was good at what he did.  He replied that he was the best, but he also mentioned that his family tree was a straight line.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »

Interesting.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 05:39:10 PM »
I'm curious what those five laws are?

Mostly a comment on the state of laws in the US. There's a line in Atlas Shrugged that is fitting. Something along the lines of not being able to control an honest man so they keep making laws until they can find something to hold over your head.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 06:12:38 PM »
1. Betting (as above.)

2.  Signaling for a turn only 99 feet from the intersection.

4. Parking 16-1/2 inches from the curb.

6.  Your fly is open.

8.  You did not have a boy walking ahead of your car to warn the horses.

And so on.  It's kind of fun hefting "The Book" in your hand before you throw it at the low-down dirty rotten scoundrel.

(Thanks, RKL.)

Yeah, I know, off-topic, but that's the way our threads go.  At least I didn't start this particular thread drift.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Overzealous Prosecutors.  There are a couple of points made which might mesh with the average APSer's viewpoint):

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/01/8-ways-to-stop-overzealous-prosecutors-from-destroying-lives/267360/

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 06:51:07 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 07:08:10 PM »
Mostly a comment on the state of laws in the US. There's a line in Atlas Shrugged that is fitting. Something along the lines of not being able to control an honest man so they keep making laws until they can find something to hold over your head.

It's not just the felonies we have all already unknowingly committed, it's the ability to charge us for a felony just because they can. Ref: asset forfeiture laws and little old ladies pulled over for failure to give a turn signal who happen to have a couple grand cash on them. No one needs more than ten $1 bills.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »
What bothers me is that they charge the actual asset as a criminal... which cannot defend itself.

I am told this is based on sound legal principles, but sometimes it just seems that "sound legal principles" are insane.

Terry

REF: (Involved discussion, scroll to "History"):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_forfeiture_in_the_United_States

Cf also "Methods"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_forfeiture_in_the_United_States#Methods
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:18:34 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
What bothers me is that they charge the actual asset as a criminal... which cannot defend itself.

I am told this is based on sound legal principles, but sometimes it just seems that "sound legal principles" are insane.

Fortunately, this particular form of insanity may be coming to an end:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=61276.0
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 10:11:27 AM »
Fortunately, this particular form of insanity may be coming to an end:

I'd like to believe that, but reform has popped up numerous times in the recent past to pretty much no avail. Some communities and states have put the kibosh on it, but not so much others, and our illustrious Republicans at the Federal level continue to be in support of it. We saw Sessions advocating for it when he was AG.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 01:01:36 PM »
Republicans at the Federal level continue to be in support of it. We saw Sessions advocating for it when he was AG

When did Sessions become a Republican?  ???    :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 04:41:15 PM »
When he decided that was a good label to have in his District.  Like the label "Beto."

I still maintain that election to public office is too much of a gravy train. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 05:02:14 PM »
I was thinking of mistaken or misinterpreted DNA results as well.  That has put people in jail on occasion. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 05:44:55 PM »
I was thinking of mistaken or misinterpreted DNA results as well.  That has put people in jail on occasion. 

I think he error value on that is very low these days. I have enough relatives that have done it, that they have close enough DNA to me if they need it.

Uranus is a gas giant.