Author Topic: Well, Silverware is Racist Now  (Read 1932 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Well, Silverware is Racist Now
« on: September 10, 2019, 03:41:45 PM »
Much as I love to grab a rib eye with both hands and dig in, and scoop up a pile of mashed taters with my hand and shove it in my face, sometimes it's just inconvenient. Inconvenient... not racist.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/09/10/stick-a-fork-in-us-so-called-food-activist-says-its-actually-kind-of-racist-to-teach-your-kids-its-better-to-eat-with-silverware/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Well, Silverware is Racist Now
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »
Someone needs to start recording these types of things for posterity (should writing survive) under "Signs your society is nearing total collapse."

Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it.

And, its corollary: Those who learn history are doomed to watch as those who didn't repeat it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 03:54:04 PM »
Everything is racist if you ask the right person.  This person happens to be Canadian though they would probably say I am racist for pointing that out.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:51:19 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
Everything is racist if you ask the person.  This person happens to be Canadian though they would probably say I am racist for pointing that out. 

That's racist.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 04:01:02 PM »
Scanning through the article, the only message I see is that different cultures have ways to eat their foods that are considered proper in their culture and kids ought to learn about different cultures.  I guess that alone would be boring and get no attention or clicks so they set up the click-bait title.  Bad publicity is good publicity. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 05:13:13 PM »
The author seems confused.  On one hand she acknowledges that there are some things in Canadian and British culture that are acceptable to eat with hands (her examples include sandwiches, asparagus, and fries) and other things which are not acceptable.  She also recognizes that there are likely valid reasons to use silverware for some dishes.   Yet her complaints all seem to be that Canadians don't want anyone to eat anything with their hands.

It's almost as though she wants to impose her own cultural norms on all dissimilar cultures.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »
The fact that you weren't aware it was racist is racist
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 05:26:46 PM »
It's almost as though she wants to impose her own cultural norms on all dissimilar cultures.

Krauts kinda do that too. Not the forcing, but the eating everything with silverware. Current generations are much better, and have kinda taught the older generations to lighten up. The popularity of American style pizza, burgers, and some Mexican has also helped acclimate them. When I was there in the 80's, I watched some older relatives cut their burgers with a knife and eat them with a fork. They about looked disgusted whenever I would grab burgers and pizza with my hands.  :laugh:

The last batch that were here, I gave a lot of Mexican snacks like chips and salsa, and they were all happily digging in with hands.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 05:41:05 PM »
Growing up I was taught by my finishing-school mother to avoid actually touching  food on my plate.  I learned how to neatly dissect a chicken leg (or whatever) with just my knife and fork.  If such touching were necessary, one used the finger bowl to rinse one's finger tips one hand at a time, wiping the fingers dry with a knapkin below the table edge.

Racial overtones were totally absent.  And pointing this out is obviously racist itself, n'est-ce pas?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:15:14 PM by 230RN »

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
Growing up I was taught by my finishing-school mother to avoid actually touching  food on my plate.  I learned how to neatly dissect a chicken leg (or whatever) with just my knife and fork.  If such touching were necessary, one used the finger bowl to rinse one's finger tips one hand at a time, wiping the fingers dry with a knapkin below the table edge.

Racial overtones were totally absent.  And pointing this out is obviously racist itself, n'est-ce pas?

Terry, 230RN

No, not racist, just elitist!! I mean really, who grew up with finger bowls? ;)

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 06:21:06 PM »
Where the hell is my SMOD!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 06:51:13 PM »
When my now wife first came to my apartment, I owned One (steak)Knife, One Spoon, One Fork and 5 pairs of chopsticks. (true story)

If I'm eating East Asian foods, I use chopsticks. I still try to keep some around the house for Sushi, Sashimi and whatever else. When eating Raman, chopsticks for the noodles and pick up the bowl and sip from it for the broth.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 06:55:50 PM »
The author seems confused.  On one hand she acknowledges that there are some things in Canadian and British culture that are acceptable to eat with hands (her examples include sandwiches, asparagus, and fries) and other things which are not acceptable.  She also recognizes that there are likely valid reasons to use silverware for some dishes.   Yet her complaints all seem to be that Canadians don't want anyone to eat anything with their hands.

People eat asparagus with their fingers?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 08:01:13 PM »
Silverware is RACIST?

If a cannibal uses a fork, isn't that progress?

Here's some background information - decide for yourself. Cannibals with Cutlery

Table conversation probably went something like:

First person: "I don't like your mother in law."

Second person: "Okay, just eat the vegetables."

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 10:33:10 PM »
People eat asparagus with their fingers?

People eat asparagus?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 11:56:20 PM »
People eat asparagus?
Yes .... there's something wrong with that? ? ? ? ? ? ?   [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 09:51:39 AM »
Everything is racist if you ask the right person.  This person happens to be Canadian though they would probably say I am racist for pointing that out.  

When everything is racist, nothing is.  Maybe the Democrats are just trying to provide cover for their buddies the KKK.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 10:06:08 AM »

Terry, 230RN
Okay, a finger bowl is something new to me.  Never heard of that one. 

If I think about it, when my Mother was teaching us young barbarians proper table manners (because we might have dinner with the President one day), we were pretty much told to use our silverware and not our hands.  Hamburgers weren't really the type of food one would be eating at nice dinners anyway (that would be chicken fried steak). 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 10:07:34 AM »
When everything is racist, nothing is.  Maybe the Democrats are just trying to provide cover for their buddies the KKK.
That is an interesting angle I hadn't thought of.  Would be something interesting to pull out in a discussion with a liberal. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 10:46:04 AM »

The fascinating part is he never runs out of sausage.  It's a miracle!   You could probably feed 5000 people with that and a few dinner rolls.
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 10:51:17 AM »
The fascinating part is he never runs out of sausage.  It's a miracle!   You could probably feed 5000 people with that and a few dinner rolls.

It's a candy bar. Cutting a sausage (sans bun) wouldn't be weird.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 11:07:22 AM »
It was a running gag on an episode of Seinfeld. A rich guy ate a Snickers with a fork and knife. Then everyone started doing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pledge_Drive
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 11:25:56 AM »

Argh! How did I miss being first in with that?!?  :laugh:

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 12:32:11 PM »
MechAg94:

Just don't drink the water in the finger bowl, even though it may have a lemon slice or other aromatic thing in it.  Très gauche !

See also:
https://www.wonderfulinfo.com/finger-bowl-true-story/

Oh, and the correct term for "barbarian" nowadays is "deplorable," thanks to Mrs. Clinton.

Terry
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:06:26 PM by 230RN »