Author Topic: Judge Rules Terrorism Watchlist Violates Constitutional Rights  (Read 709 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Judge Rules Terrorism Watchlist Violates Constitutional Rights
« on: September 10, 2019, 04:12:40 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/us/politics/terrorism-watchlist-constitution.html#click=https://t.co/JQc9vCpSv6

In a 32-page opinion, Judge Anthony J. Trenga of United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia said the standard for inclusion in the database was too vague.

“The court concludes that the risk of erroneous deprivation of plaintiffs’ travel-related and reputational liberty interests is high, and the currently existing procedural safeguards are not sufficient to address that risk,” Judge Trenga wrote.

I don't care for CAIR all too much, but I think this is a victory for individual liberty even if only temporary.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Judge Rules Terrorism Watchlist Violates Constitutional Rights
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:21:06 PM »
Given they want to use terror watch lists to strip 2A rights, this is an excellent thing.  Particularly with San Francisco voting to designate the NRA a terrorist organization.  If that were to spread it wouldn't take much to make a huge number of gun owners felons simply for possession of their guns.  With no registration, or anything else passing Congress.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:23:54 PM »
I think it's a splendid ruling, in spite of the lowlifes that brought the case forward in the first place.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:04:15 AM »
Given they want to use terror watch lists to strip 2A rights, this is an excellent thing.  Particularly with San Francisco voting to designate the NRA a terrorist organization.  If that were to spread it wouldn't take much to make a huge number of gun owners felons simply for possession of their guns.  With no registration, or anything else passing Congress.

Not how it works. Terrorists are #notallMuslims, meaning they are Special People of Color. Their rights matter.

Gun owners are Deplorable Men of Whiteness. Their rights are nothing.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife