Author Topic: Greenpeace activists suspend themselves from Houston's Fred Hartman Bridge  (Read 624 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/greenpeace-activists-suspend-themselves-houston-bridge-protest-fossil-fuel-n1053036

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Protesters-arrested-after-day-long-demonstration-14436189.php

Activists suspended themselves off the Houston bridge yesterday.  This bridge is at the mouth of the Houston Ship Channel off Galveston Bay.  The Coast Guard shut down the Ship Channel while those people were hanging there and traffic lanes were blocked on that bridge which has become a major traffic artery. 

From what I heard, they were there most of the day and police finally went in to remove them late in the day while rush hour traffic was blocked.  I think the County Sheriff was going to let them hang there, but I believe a whole mess of highly influential people were burning up the phones about the Ship Channel being shut down and traffic disrupted.  I have heard a whole bunch of people say they wouldn't care if someone went along and cut all the ropes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Greenpeace activists suspend themselves from Houston's Fred Hartman Bridge
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 04:31:27 PM »
Why stop the ships?  Just plow through the hanging Chads.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »
A new style if pinatas
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »

From what I heard, they were there most of the day and police finally went in to remove them late in the day while rush hour traffic was blocked.  I think the County Sheriff was going to let them hang there, but I believe a whole mess of highly influential people were burning up the phones about the Ship Channel being shut down and traffic disrupted.  I have heard a whole bunch of people say they wouldn't care if someone went along and cut all the ropes. 

Not surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if that little stunt added up to a few million dollars in losses. Shipping is a minute by minute business.  I can't remember the numbers anymore, but I think it's in the thousands of dollars per hour for every hour a ship is held up from its projected timetable.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »
Wait that’s not how you tie a noose
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 05:23:49 PM »
Wait that’s not how you tie a noose

:lol:

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 09:52:05 PM »
Dunno why it took most of the day for the sheriff's department to find a decent pair of scissors.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 10:50:20 PM »
Why stop the ships?  Just plow through the hanging Chads.

:laugh:

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 01:26:05 AM »
Happened here in portland a few years back. I was up at the 911 center at the time, and we had lots of people volunteering to go up on the bridge with a variety of cutting implements.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy