Author Topic: Forum software?  (Read 512 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Forum software?
« on: September 12, 2019, 03:17:55 PM »
I sometimes hang out on a Jeep forum. One of the guys there wants to set up a small forum for off-roaders in his part of the universe, and he's trying to decide what software to use to run his forum. Simple Machines was mentioned as a possibility, but he seems to think it's not up to his needs. It seems to do well enough for this site, so I would think it could also work for him.

One of his considerations is that he'd like his forum to offer a mobile device view/style/skin in addition to the default view for desktop computers. So -- to the admins here: Does Simple Machines offer a mobile view? Those of you who use their phones to participate here, what do you see? Are you getting a mobile-optimized view, or are you getting a very small version of the default, desktop computer view?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Forum software?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »
I sometimes hang out on a Jeep forum. One of the guys there wants to set up a small forum for off-roaders in his part of the universe, and he's trying to decide what software to use to run his forum. Simple Machines was mentioned as a possibility, but he seems to think it's not up to his needs. It seems to do well enough for this site, so I would think it could also work for him.

One of his considerations is that he'd like his forum to offer a mobile device view/style/skin in addition to the default view for desktop computers. So -- to the admins here: Does Simple Machines offer a mobile view? Those of you who use their phones to participate here, what do you see? Are you getting a mobile-optimized view, or are you getting a very small version of the default, desktop computer view?

Small version of the desktop. I usually just hold my phone in landscape to read.

I had Tapatalk for a while, which was an app that allowed the forums to be viewed in a more mobile-friendly environment. I'm not even sure it still works, but it didn't really work all that well, when I used it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 03:41:08 PM »
Keep in mind that we are NOT running the current version of the software though I am trying hard to get there, it is out of mu control without permission and access from Oleg and other admin.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »
The term he is looking for is "responsive design" or "responsive theme".  A site using responsive design will adjust/hide/reveal elements based on the actual size of the window being used to view it.

There are responsive themes available for modern Simple Machines versions.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »
Tapatalk is *expletive deleted*it. Another forum I am on uses Xenforo and it is pretty mobile friendly
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!