Author Topic: Driving class (horses) cluster screw-up.  (Read 1239 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Driving class (horses) cluster screw-up.
« on: September 13, 2019, 11:20:05 AM »
Relevant to another post, I got to poking around on horse videos.  This one reminded me of one of Benny Hill's chase scenes with the Yakety Sax theme going in the background.

https://youtu.be/03YcT74h5Mg (6:47)

Too bad about the horse being injured at the end, though.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:35:12 AM by 230RN »

MikeB

• friend
Re: Driving class (horses) cluster screw-up.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 03:49:37 PM »
1000+ lb animals can be dangerous and difficult to stop. Probably why Cavalry charges worked so well.

Also jumping off a horse that seems out of control is not really the best first option and the broken ribs from doing so tend to hurt for months. Try to ride it out...

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 04:16:58 PM »
1000+ lb animals can be dangerous and difficult to stop. Probably why Cavalry charges worked so well.

Also jumping off a horse that seems out of control is not really the best first option and the broken ribs from doing so tend to hurt for months. Try to ride it out...

From the video, jumping out of that cart was a MUCH better choice than trying to ride it out. Did you see what happened to the carts on the out of control horses?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 04:43:45 PM »
From the video, jumping out of that cart was a MUCH better choice than trying to ride it out. Did you see what happened to the carts on the out of control horses?

I wasn’t talking about the carts, I was talking about riding.

The problem with the carts is it looked like the first cart broke or at least part of the harness did and I think the lady then bounced out. They failed to clear the rest of the carts and contain the runaway horse and things just got worse and worse. This is why for many events only one horse is even allowed in the ring at the same time.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 04:49:48 PM »
Okay, just a short ways into the video:  Why are people trying to grab those reins or get in front of the horse when it is moving that fast?

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 04:57:39 PM »
Okay, just a short ways into the video:  Why are people trying to grab those reins or get in front of the horse when it is moving that fast? 

My guess is to try and stop it, it looked like many of them weren’t particularly experienced, but hard to tell from small video and no sound. You can often stop a horse by getting in its way and waving your arms, but you can also get run over as happened to several people there. It looked like at one point a guy was able to grab the harness and stop the one horse and then another got spooked.

I’ve had horses almost come over or through a 5 foot gate when I was working Western Gymkhanas. That was with a rider on it. You did not open that gate though until the rider had the horse stopped and under controlor you might have another 20 or 30 or more horses going wild in the holding pen. Pretty much even if it meant taking a 1000lb horse in the face. Same reason most classes didn’t allow more than one or two horses in the ring.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 06:45:23 PM »
Worse things can happen than being behind a runaway horse . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTpDL84z12A
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »
Where's Ben Hur when you need him?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 11:47:58 PM »
Worse things can happen than being behind a runaway horse . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTpDL84z12A
:rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero