Author Topic: 15 Months for Murder  (Read 862 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
15 Months for Murder
« on: September 13, 2019, 08:03:50 PM »
We talked about this swatting incident back when it happened. The guy who made the call is getting a whole 15 months. Recall the cop who shot the innocent man got off with no charges filed.

Imagine being the family of the deceased.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-gamer-sentenced-to-15-months-prison-time-in-deadly-kansas-swatting-case
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: 15 Months for Murder
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 08:19:34 PM »
Tragic but, inasmuch as there was no premeditated intent by any of the protagonists to cause a death, definitely not murder. That said, I think the sentence is ridiculously inadequate for the gravity of the incident.

Also, Viner is not the person who actually made the call. However, he instigated it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 09:25:33 PM »
Yes, I know it's not legally murder. In Benland however, he would be tarred and feathered, then sent to wild hog island.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:40:16 PM »
Yes, I know it's not legally murder. In Benland however, he would be tarred and feathered, then sent to wild hog island.

I can't disagree.

I honestly don't know what an appropriate prison sentence would be for having set up the SWATting, but 15 months ain't nearly enough. Worse, though, is the "restitution." An innocent man is DEAD. Who is the $2,500 going to be paid to, and how in 'ell is that "restitution" for the loss of a human life? A life that had NOTHING to do with the original beef?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:53:16 PM »
Tragic but, inasmuch as there was no premeditated intent by any of the protagonists to cause a death, definitely not murder. That said, I think the sentence is ridiculously inadequate for the gravity of the incident.

Also, Viner is not the person who actually made the call. However, he instigated it.

Death is an expected potential outcome of swatting.  Depraved indifference and/or attempted murder.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 05:14:30 AM »
There were also two suicides caused by this - the guy's niece who had to walk over his body to get out of the house, and later, her boyfriend also killed himself. =(
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 07:45:21 PM »
There were also two suicides caused by this - the guy's niece who had to walk over his body to get out of the house, and later, her boyfriend also killed himself. =(

YIKES!

I hadn't heard/read about either of those.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »
Death is an expected potential outcome of swatting.

I don't think so.

Obviously, the potential is there. Does everyone who commits a SWATTING expect the victim to be killed? Unlikely.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 08:51:42 PM »
I don't think so.

Obviously, the potential is there. Does everyone who commits a SWATTING expect the victim to be killed? Unlikely.

Do they know it is a possibility?  Yes.  That is enough.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 09:40:18 PM »
Do they know it is a possibility?  Yes.  That is enough.

I have to disagree.

Quote from: Merriam-Webster
Definition of expect

transitive verb
1a : to consider probable or certain expect to be forgiven expect that things will improve
   b : to consider reasonable, due, or necessary expected hard work from the students
   c : to consider bound in duty or obligated they expect you to pay your bills
2 : to anticipate or look forward to the coming or occurrence of we expect them any minute now expected a telephone call
3 : suppose, think

I very much doubt that most people who commit SWATTING ever consider the possibility that someone might be killed as a result. I suspect the overwhelming majority just think the cops will break down the front door, the victim will have a bad night, and then everyone will go home for a beer. The fact that the potential for a death is there doesn't mean that the prankers always consider it, or that they expect it.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 12:52:55 PM »
''

In BTR land, he would have been shot.

Whoever said depraved indifference to life is right!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depraved-heart_murder

Should have been at least second degree murder.

Instead he got "compiracy."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 02:18:00 PM »
People have gotten a lot more time for manslaughter which generally doesn't require intent or expectation.  However, since this was federal court, I don't know what law they were prosecuting under.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »
Prosecutors and defense lawyers in their plea agreement had recommended a sentence of two years of probation, with the added condition that Viner be confined for six months to his home unless attending school, work or church. They also jointly recommended the gaming restriction.

But U.S. District Judge Eric Melgren said a prison sentence was required to reflect the seriousness of the offense. It was foreseeable that something bad could happen by calling an armed police force to respond to what officers thought was an escalating situation of violence, he said.
The judge had to insist on prison time or the prosecutor would have agreed to only probation.  Sounds like someone Trump needs to get rid of, but he is likely not the only one.

I didn't see any mention of the maximum prison sentence.  Maybe if he made the SWATing call while driving drunk, they would have gone for a stiffer prison sentence. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 04:08:50 PM »
If he'd been wearing a MAGA hat they would have given him the death penalty and called for impeachment.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams