Author Topic: How to legally carry concealed in Cali  (Read 716 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
How to legally carry concealed in Cali
« on: September 14, 2019, 01:22:26 AM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: How to legally carry concealed in Cali
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 09:05:31 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if most states had such an exemption.

Colorado's sounds like "while legally engaged in the act of hunting."

Which I guess means during legal hours and seasons, with a license for that game, and in actual hunting areas.  You can't claim you're hunting the Longhaired Tibetan Yak in Denver.

I kind of figured this was so you could keep the rain and snow off your handgun.  That's what I kind of figured.

Keep in mind, though, that in general, it's not a good idea to try to "finesse" the legal system, so watch it.  "Finesse," as in "Wul it dint say I couldn't do (whatever) on Sunday," that kind of thing.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:29:16 AM by 230RN »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »
Got a summary? 
Allegedly there is an exemption in CA for carrying an unloaded pistol to and from licensed fishing and hunting with no requirement it be done openly.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 11:45:18 AM »
Allegedly there is an exemption in CA for carrying an unloaded pistol to and from licensed fishing and hunting with no requirement it be done openly.

Unloaded.  How is that defined?  Nothing in the chamber or no mag in the gun?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 12:02:51 PM »
Unloaded.  How is that defined?  Nothing in the chamber or no mag in the gun?

Unless they changed it, no mag in the gun. The way I car carried in CA was using one of those quick open lockboxes with a loaded mag and empty gun in the same box. As long as the mag wasn't in the gun, the gun was unloaded. The way they're going there now, it won't be long before a gun is considered loaded if you have ammo in the same house as the gun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 12:11:17 PM »
Unless they changed it, no mag in the gun. The way I car carried in CA was using one of those quick open lockboxes with a loaded mag and empty gun in the same box. As long as the mag wasn't in the gun, the gun was unloaded. The way they're going there now, it won't be long before a gun is considered loaded if you have ammo in the same house as the gun.

I am getting ready for a trip to Las Vegas and San Diego. I am looking at 3-4 days in California so that is driving my gun choice. I will have to take a 1911 and will probably take two lock boxes, one for the empty gun and the other for the magazines. No way I am taking my XDm 10 with its standard capacity magazines. Nope, won't do it.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 02:28:12 PM »
The way they're going there now, it won't be long before a gun is considered loaded if you have ammo in the same house state as the gun.

FIFY
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 02:38:26 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if most states had such an exemption.

I would. I'm pretty certain my state has no such exemption. I just wasted half an hour searching the statutes, and I came up with nothing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
I am getting ready for a trip to Las Vegas and San Diego. I am looking at 3-4 days in California so that is driving my gun choice. I will have to take a 1911 and will probably take two lock boxes, one for the empty gun and the other for the magazines. No way I am taking my XDm 10 with its standard capacity magazines. Nope, won't do it.

bob

Bob, again, unless the laws have changed in the last half year, you can absolutely put the pistol and mag in the same lock box. Though I can't argue with an abundance of caution in that state.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 04:16:45 PM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 04:47:57 PM by 230RN »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 09:01:53 PM »

Pfaah!  We had folks doing that in Illinois for years before we finally got legal carry.  They changed gun transportation with the intent of making things a bit easier for hunters and such.  "Unloaded, enclosed in a case".  Folks noticed, and it turned out to be the case, that a fanny pack met the requirements of the law.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »
^
"Folks noticed, and it turned out to be the case, that a fanny pack met the requirements of the law."

I wonder if that was a result of some poor shnook getting cited for using a fanny pack and having to fight it out in court for a favorable decision.