Author Topic: Need a cordless drill  (Read 3175 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Need a cordless drill
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 02:22:57 PM »
Bosch makes very good jigsaws!  I couldn’t believe the difference when I replaced an old Crapsman jigsaw.
Agree.

I have a cheap old Skil jigsaw from Walmart - worked OK, but cuts weren't that precise and with the bendy plastic construction, I couldn't even get the blade and shoe perpendicular. I looked at Festool jigsaws but the price was  :O

The Mafell jigsaw price was  :O :O

I tried a new DeWalt but the %$#!@ blade kept falling out. What a wretched POS.

So I bought a (gently) used older Bosch off Ebay - the blade is stabilized by a couple of fingers that come in from the sides, it cuts straight, doesn't vibrate much, and has lots of power. I'm happy with it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
One of my newest guilty pleasures is a tool review channel called AvE on Youtube.  I've been shopping for a cordless air compressor and this guy had an amazing tear-down review of the DeWalt offering, and I just went down his rabbit hole for tool teardowns for a bunch of stuff.  I heartily recommend it for no BS, unsponsored truth about the quality of build of many lines of cordless tools (and other tools).

From his reviews, he tends to favor Milwaukee and Makita recently... but he's called some of their offerings rubbish recently, too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil

Keep your dick in a vise! :lol:

If you watch too much AVE, you will also start to use "chooch" as a verb in sentences, sometimes when talking to you're boss's boss.  Fair warning.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:12:42 AM by dogmush »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 03:34:02 PM »
Nothing like 60's tech when all the new fangled stuff fails.  My 18v battery to my Rigid crapped out and wouldn't take a charge,  when I needed it today.  So I drag out my Black and Decker corded drill that I bought in 1966 and got the job done.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
Got a Hitachi from Lowes few years ago. 18v I think. Works great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 11:23:47 AM »
Video on who owns various tool manufacturers.

https://youtu.be/yGRVDRZbPkQ

The interesting part to me is that the 2 Independent makers (according to the video) are Hilti and Makita.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2019, 08:13:59 PM »
I've got 2 Makita corded tools, a buffer that I bought last year, great tool, and a 4".angle grinder I bought in 1987.
The Makita 4" angle grinder is the standard by which I judge all corded power tools.
I have used and abused that thing for 32. Granted, it is not in daily industrial use but 32 years and counting is a damn good run.
The angle grinder has also taken more skin than any tool I've ever owned. It just doesn't care what it's grinding.
Loaned it to dad, told him to wear good leather gloves,  he didn't, it took meat. Loaned it to my brother, told him to wear good leather gloves, he didn't, he still has the scar on the side of his hand.
I *expletive deleted*ing told 'em.  Nobody ever listens to Larry.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2019, 11:40:13 PM »

Nobody ever listens to Larry.
 =D

Oh, sorry. Did you say something?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »
Oh, sorry. Did you say something?

Brad

Who, me?  No.  Why do you ask?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 10:31:10 AM »
I'm happy with the Milwaukee I bought four years ago, about $129.  It gets the serious woodworking and other shop tasks, such as driving 3x1/4" lag bolts into 2 inches of oak.

Just to have a second drill upstairs and not have to run downstairs to my garage, and mostly to hang pictures in the wall,  I got one from Harbor Freight, about $19.  It's not nearly as good, has ni-cad batteries, and has a charger that has to be kept under 5 hours or it will burn up.  The drill chuck is hard to keep tight.  But for $19 it will drill holes in the wall.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 11:55:42 AM »
I have gone through a half dozen or so old Makita's, a half dozen Hitachi's, a half dozen old dewalts,  (all of them ni cad of various voltages) and now have a dozen or so dewalt 20 volt li ion. several impact drivers, several drills, and a couple oddball tools.  The lithium ion batteries are great- they can be stored charged for a long time and not lose the charge. Never had a problem with any of them, they are in daily service. I keep them with dedicated bits and drills in them, so as to not have to change them.  Have not had a battery pack go bad yet, which is a big change from ni-cad.

IMO, Any of the new lithium ion brand name tools are going to be OK- the competition in cordless tools is intense.  I really doubt any normal use will show a big favorite- of course, I am coming from an era when Milwaukee's cordless drill had a cord, and a 12 volt belt mounted battery.....

I would put ergonomics first- does the tool fit your hand?  And shop the sales- sometimes you can buy  two tools, two battery packs and a charger for the cost of two spare batterys...crazy.

and the most important part- buy good driver bits, and lots of them, and long enough so your fingers don't take a beating.

I find even the newer light weight LiOn drills tire out my wrist eventually. You're always fighting the torque the weight puts on your hand in two directions. A belt mounted battery to shave the weight off the drill might be something a manufacturer should look into. The small stick batteries that don't extend past the grip are nice for smaller drivers, but they don't last as long.

The 18650 battery certainly seems to be a pinnacle in energy density for discreet cells, but eventually some drill will come out with a flat-pack LiPoly brick, if they haven't already.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2020, 11:05:06 PM »
Project Farm's impact driver test that popped up in today's YouTube subscription.

https://youtu.be/4jxZAKk_nSk

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2020, 04:01:56 AM »
Nothing like 60's tech when all the new fangled stuff fails.  My 18v battery to my Rigid crapped out and wouldn't take a charge,  when I needed it today.  So I drag out my Black and Decker corded drill that I bought in 1966 and got the job done.

You must be my long lost brother.  I'll bet you installed a Real Man's Jacob's Chuck on the Rigid and threw its new-fangled twist-tighten chuck as far into the pasture as you could, too.

Welcome back to the fambly.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:14:02 AM by 230RN »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2020, 06:38:49 AM »
I find even the newer light weight LiOn drills tire out my wrist eventually. You're always fighting the torque the weight puts on your hand in two directions. A belt mounted battery to shave the weight off the drill might be something a manufacturer should look into. The small stick batteries that don't extend past the grip are nice for smaller drivers, but they don't last as long.

The 18650 battery certainly seems to be a pinnacle in energy density for discreet cells, but eventually some drill will come out with a flat-pack LiPoly brick, if they haven't already.

Milwaukee makes a high capacity M12 battery that is still light. Their stuff works very well and tends to be very well thought out.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2020, 11:17:37 AM »
Milwaukee makes a high capacity M12 battery that is still light. Their stuff works very well and tends to be very well thought out.

I have one of those.  I like it better than their 18V because it's small and light but not too small
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2020, 11:19:05 AM »
I threw one of the batteries for my Hitachi on the charger last weekend and it seems that it's failing. Sigh.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2020, 12:15:37 PM »
I recently replaced my old dewalt 14.4v with new 18v Milwaukee cordless. They have really built on the red lithium 18V with several ma/h batteries and over 200 different cordless tools and more being announce frequently according the email blasts I've been getting. I'm real happy with my 1/4" impact driver and drill combo. I couldn't justify the cost of stepping up to the FUEL pro line.
I'm banking on the 18v batteries and the Milwaukee line being around for a good long time.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2020, 12:28:34 PM »
Thanks to some reasonably-priced multi-tool kits from Home Depot, I have gone over to the Ryobi 18 volt system.  For my use, they work great.  Someone who works for a living would probably want something more heavy-duty.  The last two Ryobi cordless tools that I bought was a compact shop vac in the shape of a large toolbox, and a heavy-duty inflator.  I am using both of them a surprising amount lately.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2020, 01:08:27 PM »
OK, I've found replacement batteries that will fit my drill for under $30.

Need to keep that in mind if this battery is truly clapped out.

Earlier this year I helped Castle Key build the deck for his greenhouse and the next week his greenhouse.

It was VERY convenient having two identical drills and 4 identical batteries. We burned through a lot of electric with all of the screws we had to drive to put the whole schmear together.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2020, 01:10:30 PM »
OK, I've found replacement batteries that will fit my drill for under $30.

They will work, but don't expect much from them. They are usually the cheapest chinese batteries available.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2020, 01:19:15 PM »
The ones I'm looking at on Amazon have a couple hundred positive ratings, and from what I'm finding, they may be from the same manufacturers who made the OEM batters for Hitachi.