Author Topic: Need a cordless drill  (Read 3174 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Need a cordless drill
« on: September 19, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
We're putting up field fencing and to construct the H braces I need a good cordless drill.  What do you all recommend?  Been a long time since I've bought decent cordless tools so I'm not up on the latest technology, especially since it seems like the battery is the most important part.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Need a cordless drill
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »
Milwaukee.  I like their M12 series (12 volt), although most people probably go for the M18s.
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 09:10:36 PM »
I'm rather fond of the Dewalt 20V stuff.  Spring for a brushless model, if you can afford it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 09:40:43 PM »
I'm rather fond of the Dewalt 20V stuff.  Spring for a brushless model, if you can afford it.

I'll 2nd that recommendation. The version I bought came with 2 batteries.
It has enough torque to cause a severe wrist strain or worse if it catches and twists on you.
Battery life has been more than adequate for anything I've needed it for.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 09:43:34 PM »
Best- Milwaukee.
Performance per dollar- Ryobi. I picked up their 18v hammer drill a while back with 2 10cell batteries for $100 and it's got way more power than the DeWalt we have at work.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 09:51:14 PM »
Ikea all the way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 10:24:32 PM »
I have a Ryobi 18 volt tool kit that I got at Home Depot.  The drill works very well.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »

Careful of the Dewalt stuff.

That 20v battery is "Flex Volt" technology.  This means that each cell is hybrid-wired and depending on the pins used by the tool, can be connected in parallel for high amperage on a 20v tool, or in series for high voltage on a 60v tool.  The drawback to this is that the charger will charge each cell individually.  You wind up with variations in charge voltage from cell to cell, and when connected in parallel to a tool, the cells try to level-off each other, which results in degraded lifespan of all cells.

One of my newest guilty pleasures is a tool review channel called AvE on Youtube.  I've been shopping for a cordless air compressor and this guy had an amazing tear-down review of the DeWalt offering, and I just went down his rabbit hole for tool teardowns for a bunch of stuff.  I heartily recommend it for no BS, unsponsored truth about the quality of build of many lines of cordless tools (and other tools).

From his reviews, he tends to favor Milwaukee and Makita recently... but he's called some of their offerings rubbish recently, too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil

Keep your dick in a vise! :lol:

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 11:04:46 PM »
I've got a dewalt, but the battery charger is seems to be funny. Could just be my electrical outlets.

I was so happy to get it and now I end up grabbing the cheapo corded drill instead of fussing with it.  =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 12:18:31 AM »
I have Milwaukee. It's OK. The first one gear stripped and stuck in low gear. The second one, the chuck kind of sucks. But it's ok.

I'm biased against DeWalt because their marketing is dishonest. They have the same batteries everyone else calls 18V, but they lie and call them 20V so people think they are better.

If you care about buying into a system, check what's available and what you care about. Milwaukee has a nice soldering iron and leaf blower, but DeWalt has an air compressor and lawnmower.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 07:08:45 AM »
I've been very happy with Dewalt's 20v brushless drills and impact drivers.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 08:31:52 AM »
Tractors are green and tools are yellow. I have a bunch of 20v DeWalt tools, never had any problems with them and long battery life.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »
I have a Ryobi 18 volt tool kit that I got at Home Depot.  The drill works very well.

I have the same, and can confirm it works well.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 10:31:53 AM »

One of my newest guilty pleasures is a tool review channel called AvE on Youtube.  I've been shopping for a cordless air compressor and this guy had an amazing tear-down review of the DeWalt offering, and I just went down his rabbit hole for tool teardowns for a bunch of stuff.  I heartily recommend it for no BS, unsponsored truth about the quality of build of many lines of cordless tools (and other tools).

Another vote for AvE. He calls it like he sees it. No pulled punches. His BOLTR series (Bored Of Lame Tool Reviews) are always informative and fun to watch. Guy sure knows his enginerding.

I'm a big fan of Makita. A little more, sure, but I look at their stuff as a lifetime purchase (plus, I'm an unrepentant tool whore).

Brad
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:22:55 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »
Bosch, but only when you find a good sale price on it.
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 04:52:10 PM »
Bought a Bauer drill at Harbor Freight last year.  The drill is pretty decent, but the batteries suck.  I've had two die due to failed cells since I bought the drill.  They are supposedly Samsung Li-Ion cells, but I really wonder if they are counterfeits.  It was the same first cell in the pack the failed both times.  I've got a couple of new cells waiting at home for me to try a repair on both packs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »

Ditto.  I have been very happy with mine.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 06:28:02 PM »
I have Milwaukee. It's OK. The first one gear stripped and stuck in low gear. The second one, the chuck kind of sucks. But it's ok.

I'm biased against DeWalt because their marketing is dishonest. They have the same batteries everyone else calls 18V, but they lie and call them 20V so people think they are better.

If you care about buying into a system, check what's available and what you care about. Milwaukee has a nice soldering iron and leaf blower, but DeWalt has an air compressor and lawnmower.

Big as my lawn is and as long as my driveway is there is no way I can tolerate battery lawn tools.  And it's generally better to keep me away from soldering.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 06:29:28 PM »
We're going to probably get the postholes dug and set the posts this weekend. I'll likely buy the drill after I get back from dallas, so early October most likely.  So, still time to influence my decision.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »
We're going to probably get the postholes dug and set the posts this weekend. I'll likely buy the drill after I get back from dallas, so early October most likely.  So, still time to influence my decision.

But right now you're leaning toward the Ikea?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »
But right now you're leaning toward the Ikea?

Yes. Ikea post holes are so much easier as long as you can read the Swedish instructions.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2019, 09:01:59 PM »
I have a Ryobi 18v drill from Home Depot - came in a kit with 2 batteries and a charger. It works well - I installed a bunch of decking in my attic with it.

At the time I bought it, I could have bought 2 complete Ryobi kits for the price of one Milwaukee cordless drill kit plus one extra battery.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 09:11:56 PM »

I'm transitioning my Rigid 18v equipment as it breaks, to Bosch.  So far I've been very happy with my drill, jig saw, band saw and 4 1/2" angle grinder.

(Says something about Rigid there...)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 11:17:06 PM »
I'm transitioning my Rigid 18v equipment as it breaks, to Bosch.  So far I've been very happy with my drill, jig saw, band saw and 4 1/2" angle grinder.

(Says something about Rigid there...)

Bosch makes very good jigsaws!  I couldn’t believe the difference when I replaced an old Crapsman jigsaw.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 01:04:08 AM »
I have gone through a half dozen or so old Makita's, a half dozen Hitachi's, a half dozen old dewalts,  (all of them ni cad of various voltages) and now have a dozen or so dewalt 20 volt li ion. several impact drivers, several drills, and a couple oddball tools.  The lithium ion batteries are great- they can be stored charged for a long time and not lose the charge. Never had a problem with any of them, they are in daily service. I keep them with dedicated bits and drills in them, so as to not have to change them.  Have not had a battery pack go bad yet, which is a big change from ni-cad.

IMO, Any of the new lithium ion brand name tools are going to be OK- the competition in cordless tools is intense.  I really doubt any normal use will show a big favorite- of course, I am coming from an era when Milwaukee's cordless drill had a cord, and a 12 volt belt mounted battery.....

I would put ergonomics first- does the tool fit your hand?  And shop the sales- sometimes you can buy  two tools, two battery packs and a charger for the cost of two spare batterys...crazy.

and the most important part- buy good driver bits, and lots of them, and long enough so your fingers don't take a beating.