Author Topic: Paper or Plastic ?  (Read 7756 times)

Paper or Plastic ?
« on: March 05, 2005, 03:16:31 PM »
Paper -

I can get more groceries into one bag, bread and such less likley to get "smushed" . Paper stays upright and don't scatter all over the truck....less trips in carrying in the groceries.

Glass or Plastic bottles ?

Glass tastes better, can be sterilized if need for re-use, make great  rolling pins, hand held weapons, works better for Roman Candles and ....err...other pyrotechnics.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 03:25:40 PM »
Paper or Plastic

Whatever I'm running low on. Smiley  The paper bags get used as recycling bags, the plastic bags get used as trash bags.

Glass or Plastic Bolltes:

Either, but I like plastic ones because you can fill them full of piping hot water and put them in bed at your feet in the wintertime.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

tarrigoni

Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 04:40:04 PM »
re bags:

I tell the checkout kid to use whatever is easiest for them..  on the self checkout lanes, the only option is plastic.  so that's that.

I don't really care with regards to glass or plastic.

Wingshooter

Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 06:13:54 PM »
Actually I try to use canvas bags as often as I can.  At the store I shop at I can use one of those scanner guns that tabulates your groceries as you shop and I just throw them into the bags.  When I'm done I just scan the card and pay.  I like them because they stand up life paper but have handles like plastic, but last longer than both.

No preference for bottles.
Pedro offers you his protection...

onions!

Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 06:41:04 PM »
Glass & paper.Plastic bags have about a 5lb weight capacity then the contents are on the ground.
Beer has to be bottled in glass.Root beer too.
Pop is easier to dink & drive w/plastic.

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 07:16:25 PM »
i make the bags.... and i choose paper, with paper twist handles....

Ale8one better come in a glass bottle, beer as well....

Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 09:13:49 PM »
It depends on what I am getting. I HATE taking more than one trip from the car and I can load up about 4 plastic bags on each arm if I have to (this makes the front door an amusing challenge though). If I am getting enough that it will all fit into a paper bag that is my preference though.

I used to bag groceries in highschool and I GREATLY preffered the paper bags for the most part unless someone was buying a lot of produce or a frozen chicken or something.

If you say "whichever is easier" your gonna get plastic, not because it is easier but because a lot of the people who say "whichever is easier" actually WANT plastic but don't want people to hear them say it because plastic is EVIL and kills the planet. Its a weird concept since the plastic bags are actually recycleable and take significantly less of a toll on the environment to make. I tried explaining this to a customer ONCE. That was my first encounter with real leftist dogma driven by ignorance.

Darkmind

Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 11:38:24 PM »
I'm gonna go with paper on this one.  I hate haveing to carry 20 bags 1/2 or 1/4 full when I would rather carry a lot less bags that are full.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

SEMPER FI

Zach S

Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 12:00:26 AM »
I prefer plastic.  This way I can carry eight bags in at a time.  Most of the time, thats one trip for me, one of the kids get the bag(s) with bread or chips.

Glass or plastic isnt a big issue for me, cans are.  I hate cans.  If its a drink in a can, I'm not gonna drink it because of the aluminum aftertaste.  It turns my stomach.  I think its where I worked for OMC, aluminum doesn't have a very pleasant smell when its being machined, brushed, or polished, and after having to smell it for 48 to 60 hours a week for a year you get sick of it.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 12:50:01 PM »
Plastic.  

I use them afterwards when I walk the dogs...   Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wasrjoe

Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 01:04:35 PM »
Paper Vs Plastic: Depends on the context. Plastic usually works fine, but paper is usually better for squishy stuff.

Glass vs Plastic Bottles: Glass, hands down, no contest. I hate the taste of plastic.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Paddy

Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 03:15:23 PM »
Don't make no difference to me.  I'm gonna throw it in the trash when I'm done with it either way.  Tongue

Mr. Mysterious

Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 04:09:53 PM »
Plastic:

I can carry a lot more at a time.

Also, we save them all and use them in our littermaid litter box for the cats.  Also use them as trash bags in the bathrooms.

MrM

Control Group

• http://control-group.livejournal.com
Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 04:58:09 AM »
Paper. I hang onto the paper bags, since they make cheap but efficient containers for transporting books. They're suitable for medium-term storage of a wide variety of items when one runs out of boxes.

More importantly, I don't subscribe to any newspapers, and paper bags provide a protective barrier between my table and my Hoppes. Wink

Smith

• friend
Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 01:14:02 PM »
With three applications of scissors, you have two IPSC style targets in your hands.

MaterDei

• friend
Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 03:31:46 PM »
I can do lots more with left over plastic bags than I can with paper ones.

Besides, who asks anymore?  Around here it's plastic unless you say otherwise.

grampster

• friend
Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2005, 03:36:10 PM »
Did ya ever notice that no matter what kind of bag you have, the keys are always in the pocket on the same side you are holding all the bags? rolleyes
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Paper or Plastic ?
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2005, 03:42:13 PM »
Did ya ever notice that no matter what kind of bag you have, the keys are always in the pocket on the same side you are holding all the bags? rolleyes

Oh.  My.  God.

You are right... I HATE that... possibly this is the most meaningful thing I've read today.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor