Author Topic: TPM, homebuilds, and Win11  (Read 3425 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: TPM, homebuilds, and Win11
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2024, 08:09:17 AM »
Depending on how long this Windows 7 system lasts, if I have to get another system built, I've already decided to get some version of Linux.  I may have to take a course at the local "jr. college" to learn how to use Linux, but I'd rather do that than paying a "subscription fee" to MS.

If you have a spare computer, just dive in.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2024, 02:56:07 PM »
Depending on how long this Windows 7 system lasts, if I have to get another system built, I've already decided to get some version of Linux.  I may have to take a course at the local "jr. college" to learn how to use Linux, but I'd rather do that than paying a "subscription fee" to MS.

Wow, using W7 on the internet, umm, yeah
Anyway
With Linux you have to pick a flavor, yes they are usually referred to as flavors, and stick to it since many can be quite different.
Probably the most recommenced is Mint Cinnamon followed by Zorn. Mint has other versions but Cinnamon is the full up version. Neither are really hard to learn but it may take some time to get use to where everything is. As far as program compatibility you may have to ditch certain software packages that you used to and learn some new ones. Drivers may or may be available for some hardware although Linux has been getting better about it
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2024, 11:24:43 PM »
Wow, using W7 on the internet, umm, yeah
Anyway
With Linux you have to pick a flavor, yes they are usually referred to as flavors, and stick to it since many can be quite different.
Probably the most recommenced is Mint Cinnamon followed by Zorn. Mint has other versions but Cinnamon is the full up version. Neither are really hard to learn but it may take some time to get use to where everything is. As far as program compatibility you may have to ditch certain software packages that you used to and learn some new ones. Drivers may or may be available for some hardware although Linux has been getting better about it.

That was a "given".  My earlier XP Pro was using Office 2000 and I reloaded it on this 7.  My 98 system has apparently died (hadn't used it in over a year) as it said "OS not found" when I tried to boot it up recently.  After my mother's passing, I took that XP back as it still has Movie Maker on it, something not on 7.  I have a lot of prints (and slides) I need to scan and her scanner has a transparency scanner built into it - IF I can get it to work !
I went through about 500 slides today, saving maybe 50 but I still have almost 1500 to get through.
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #53 on: Today at 12:38:16 PM »
Most known methods of bypassing MS account requirement are now being blocked during installs of 23H2. Dick move on MS part. F Y MS.
One solution would be to install 22H2 and then update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6zViY3sbo
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: Today at 01:00:22 PM »
I was going to recommend using the domain join bypass, but it looks like the video has that covered.