Author Topic: Dutch company planning to train crows to pick up cigarette butts  (Read 672 times)

Pb

• friend
Putting the cigarette butt in the receptacle would reward the crow with a piece of food.

Once a few learn, they are smart enough to teach each other to use the device.

If this is a success, I can see the crows learning to snatch cigarettes out of people's mouths.   :rofl:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/505089/dutch-startup-wants-train-crows-pick-cigarette-butts

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Dutch company planning to train crows to pick up cigarette butts
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 11:13:33 AM »
After they start stealing lit butts and get addicted to them, there will be a huge government program to stop it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 11:29:26 AM »
Butt, butt, what about cow farts and climate change and all that?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 12:02:48 PM »
After they start stealing lit butts and get addicted to them, there will be a huge government program to stop it.
Or they will put lit butts in the container which will end up on fire.  May not burn it down, but it would smoke it up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 12:17:28 PM »
Or they will put lit butts in the container which will end up on fire.  May not burn it down, but it would smoke it up.

Or they walk up behind another cow at just the right moment 

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 02:33:08 PM »
Jeeze, don't get me started on my diatribe about a-holes who casually discard cigarette butts in the first place.

(Mostly city folks for whom the whole world is non-flammable asphalt and concrete... but don't get me started.)

<snarl>
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 04:17:53 PM »
Jeeze, don't get me started on my diatribe about a-holes who casually discard cigarette butts in the first place.

(Mostly city folks for whom the whole world is non-flammable asphalt and concrete... but don't get me started.)

<snarl>
The sad part is when you see a bunch of them scattered on the ground around one of the containers meant to dispose of them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge