Author Topic: My Poor Milwaukee Hole Shooter  (Read 3945 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
My Poor Milwaukee Hole Shooter
« on: October 17, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »
My beloved Milwaukee Hole Shooter, one of only two corded power tools I still own (the other is an old Skil 77), seems to have died. I haven't used it since the move, but needed to drill some big holes in steel, so broke it out. I plugged it in, hit the trigger, and... nothing.

Any ideas on stuff a moron could check? New Hole Shooters are freakin' expensive. Plus this a circa 1980s one, when they didn't skimp on anything quality-wise.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: My Poor Milwaukee Hole Shooter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
Could be the switch.  Could be as simple as a failed power cord.  Could be the motor winding failed like my Dad's old Skil drill I was trying to rebuild.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 11:32:23 AM »
Do they have a fuse inside the drill housing?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 11:37:01 AM »
Brushes?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
I will open it up in a little while here and see if I can see anything obvious.

I looked at the wrong place, apparently, when I said new ones were expensive. They don't seem to be out of line with other brands with similar power, but they sure don't get great reviews anymore.

If I have to replace it, I might just get a Ridgid and be done with it. I have had good luck with that house brand.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 11:53:28 AM »
Take it apart, start probing out continuity.  Might be something simple.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 12:19:46 PM »
Is it plugged in?

Does that outlet work?

Turn it off and on?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 01:01:56 PM »
Is it plugged in?

Does that outlet work?

Turn it off and on?

When did you start working in IT?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »
Spin the chuck manually for a bit.

Ive pulled old power drills out that haven't been used for a ling time and have had them run slow, smoke a little then all of a sudden start running normal
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »

If I have to replace it, I might just get a Ridgid and be done with it. I have had good luck with that house brand.

When did Ridgid become a house brand? And of what house?

I worked in a factory for two summers during college beack in the 1960s, making swimming pool filters. A lot of the tools in the shop were Ridgid brand -- that brand was sold by all the plumbing supply houses.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
When did Ridgid become a house brand? And of what house?

I worked in a factory for two summers during college beack in the 1960s, making swimming pool filters. A lot of the tools in the shop were Ridgid brand -- that brand was sold by all the plumbing supply houses.

Didn't know that. I've only ever seen the brand sold at Home Despot.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 05:21:07 PM »
Spin the chuck manually for a bit.

Ive pulled old power drills out that haven't been used for a ling time and have had them run slow, smoke a little then all of a sudden start running normal

Dang Ron, that was it! I spun the chuck a bunch, hit the trigger, and the drill struggled for just a sec, then spun up and started running fine.

Thanks!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 05:23:44 PM »
Dang Ron, that was it! I spun the chuck a bunch, hit the trigger, and the drill struggled for just a sec, then spun up and started running fine.

Thanks!

Awesome I was going to post something similar to what Ron suggested but reading through the post he beat me to it, glad it worked out for you.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 06:16:00 PM »
Brushes?

My one-worder, too, assuming there's actual power to it.

Test it by rotating the chuck a little.  Might just be a dead / dirty spot.

ETA:  Yeah, what Ron said.

Awesome I was going to post something similar to what Ron suggested but reading through the post he beat me to it, glad it worked out for you.

Me, too.

Nap time.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 09:00:25 PM »
Glad you got it running again.
I bought one of those for my dad sometime in the 1980’s. My mother told my sister and me that we could take whatever tools we wanted from dads 24x36 shop. When I got there my sister and her husband had already loaded a trailer with everything he wanted. I had always bought quality tools for dad for Christmas presents. Now my idiot BIL has some really nice tools. He was taking tools he didn’t even know what they were used for but they looked like something he didn’t have. I’m still sore about that.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 01:45:22 AM »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 09:42:28 AM »
My mother told my sister and me that we could take whatever tools we wanted from dads 24x36 shop. When I got there my sister and her husband had already loaded a trailer with everything he wanted. I had always bought quality tools for dad for Christmas presents. Now my idiot BIL has some really nice tools. He was taking tools he didn’t even know what they were used for but they looked like something he didn’t have. I’m still sore about that.

I'm sorry you went through that. My brother did the same thing when my grandfather died.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 10:41:10 AM »
Yep. Brushes.

In older "hole shooters," this sometimes results from stalling the motor while drilling.  There's lots of current going into those one or two segments of the commutator with no back-EMF to oppose it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »
Since I already have Milwaukee 12V batteries for my screw gun, I'm going to get one of their 12V drills. Is there any reason why I should get the 3/8" instead of the 1/2"? The cost is about $70 for either one.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:28:00 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
Since I already have Milwaukee 12V batteries for my screw gun, I'm going to get one of their 12V drills. Is there any reason why I should get the 3/8" instead of the 1/2"? The cost is about $70 for either one.

Depends if you are planning on using small drill bits or not, think of under 1/16" of an inch. If you are going to be on the small side, then 3/8" chuck is what you want, if you are going to be on the bigger side, then go 1/2"
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 10:18:32 PM »
Get the 1/2".  If you have to use smaller diameters, chuck a pin vise into the 1/2" chuck, and the tool into the pin vise.

However, guiding a small tool (e.g. 1/16" bit) chucked into a heavy hand drill results in a high breakage rate unless you're stone cold sober, had a good night's sleep, and had no coffee since Tuesday.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 10:41:34 PM »
Depends if you are planning on using small drill bits or not, think of under 1/16" of an inch. If you are going to be on the small side, then 3/8" chuck is what you want, if you are going to be on the bigger side, then go 1/2"

OK, I hadn't really thought about that. I think, just to get my money's worth, I'll get the 1/2" chuck, and keep plenty of hex-drive drill bits on hand in those really small sizes. (I mean for the screw gun.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:28:09 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 01:18:16 AM »
Be aware that chucking a pin vise and or smaller chuck into a bigger chuck adds rotational inertia (which helps snap smaller pits) as well as runout.  Runout is not normally an issue with hand drilling although I have seen some Home Depot grade chucks that had enough runout you couldn't use them even in a hand drill, so it's worth remembering.

I would also caution that issues with chucks and cost cutting aren't just their size, but their holding as well.  I *expletive deleted*ed up a lot of nice drill bits and driver bits by letting them spin in chucks that you couldn't possibly get tight enough due to crap design and assembly.  For a screw gun that will mostly run hex driver bits, not a big deal, but for a drill and drill bits, especially small ones, it can make a big difference.

I've been slowly changing the chucks on my main drills out to vintage Jacobs Super Chucks (which are rebuildable) as I find deals on ebay.  I confess, my cordless still wears the craptastic keyless it came with, but I no longer put round things in it.