Author Topic: On Daily Carry Knives  (Read 1955 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On Daily Carry Knives
« on: October 18, 2019, 09:08:01 AM »
So through whatever circumstances of grubby work I've had to do around the farm along with the weather, I've recently been switching pants once a day so I don't have dirty, muddy pants in the house. In doing so, I've been forgetting to either put a second knife in the second pair of pants, or swap my regular knife (rectified now).

That lapse hit me with, how can anyone walk around all day with no knife (or multitool or whatever)? I had an infuriating number of times where I needed my knife, reached for it, and came up empty. It really hit me that I use my EDC knife every day for something or other. I don't know what people who never carry a knife around with them do.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
Re: On Daily Carry Knives
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 09:21:21 AM »
Real men use their teeth.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »
I used to be in the Army Guard.  Everybody had a knife.  Some had two.

Now I'm in the Air Guard.  Nobody has a knife.  Even after our shop chief ordered everybody a Gerber multi-tool, nobody carries them.  One guy in particular was always asking to borrow mine, so after my boss got me a dozen box cutters I put them in a bucket and left them on this guy's work bench.

He eventually lost all of them.  :facepalm:
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 10:00:16 AM »
I see a lot of people that don't carry a knife. I don't understand them.
I think some of it may be due to the de-masculinity trend that's been going on for decades.
A pocket knife could be used as a weapon dontcha know?
Of course that 8" scissors in your desk drawer couldn't possibly used to hurt someone. And that sheepfoot electrician's knife hanging on your belt can't be used as a weapon either, or that 3' length of unistrut in the corner, or the keyboard on your desk....

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 11:12:45 AM »
Agreed, once you start carrying a knife daily, you only realize how freakin much you actually use it when you forget it or lose it and don't have it on you. Hint: it's a LOT
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
I have two EDC knives every day with rare occasion.

A Swiss Army Mini Champ

Victorinox Swiss Army MiniChamp II Pocket Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005ML8D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2UDQDbKMSC43B

That does daily duties.

Also I carry a Benchmade.

It touches nothing but flesh or an occasional steak. It is a weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
So through whatever circumstances of grubby work I've had to do around the farm along with the weather, I've recently been switching pants once a day so I don't have dirty, muddy pants in the house. In doing so, I've been forgetting to either put a second knife in the second pair of pants, or swap my regular knife (rectified now).

That lapse hit me with, how can anyone walk around all day with no knife (or multitool or whatever)? I had an infuriating number of times where I needed my knife, reached for it, and came up empty. It really hit me that I use my EDC knife every day for something or other. I don't know what people who never carry a knife around with them do.

Likewise.  Got my first, a cheap Barlow type folder, at about age 8.  Carried continually since about age 12.  Carried mostly one Swiss Army Knife or another since early adulthood.  

Current EDC is the Deluxe Tinker.   Except for the carry hook, I use every single blade, plus the toothpick and tweezers.  The scissors are probably what gets used most.

I find the usual multitool to be clumsy.  The only general use function it does better than an SAK is the pliers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:39:04 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »
I have a few knives I switch between.  I usually end up carrying the smaller knife just because it stays out of the way of other stuff in my pocket like a spare mag.  My favorite is an automatic knife.  I need to mess with the clip as it has a tab that rubs the back of my hand when I reach in my front pocket.  

I don't do much heavy knife use, but I like having it available.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »
I carry a small folder at all times.  For a while after switchblades became legal, I carried a point-out (as opposed to a swinging-blade) switchblade, but found it was too sensitive to the dust and lint in my pockets.  Solutions?  (a) keep my pockets clean or (b) switch to a swing-out switcher, or (c) go back to my old manual folder.

Chose c.

I'm sure there's a correct term for a switcher where the blade comes straight out, but I don't remember what it is.

Terry

Top:  EDC folder I went back to.
Bottom:  Switchblade that got gummed up from pocket dust bunnies.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:41:20 PM by 230RN »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 01:01:12 PM »
I'm sure there's a correct term for a switcher where the blade comes straight out, but I don't remember what it is.
Out The Front?

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 02:15:04 PM »
FWIW a good flipper can be just as fast and easy as an automatic.

I think that what makes or breaks the habit of carrying a knife is finding the right one for you. I used to be a non-carry person until I found something that just worked for me and it became effortless and even desirable.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 02:18:00 PM »
Out The Front?

Yes.  But I think there's a name for them; especially the German ones, and I can't quite remember it.  ;/  Or maybe there's not and Terry just planted that idea in my head.
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 02:39:24 PM »

If I don't have a knife on me, it's likely I've forgotten my pants.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 03:43:02 PM »
FWIW a good flipper can be just as fast and easy as an automatic.

I find my ZT knives (my usual EDC) flip open VERY fast, especially once muscle memory is developed. I was never able to legally have an auto in CA, so I want to buy one now just because, but I will likely stick to the flippers for EDC.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 04:40:50 PM »
Yes.  But I think there's a name for them; especially the German ones, and I can't quite remember it.  ;/  Or maybe there's not and Terry just planted that idea in my head.
Gravity knife?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 04:46:17 PM »
No, Viking, they're spring-powered , but the blade shoots straight out from the body of the knife and locks instead of swinging out and locking.  I know I've seen the name somewhere.

Push the activating button the other way and the blade retracts and is ready to go again.  There's a delicate balance of spring tensions involved.

ETA: This site calls them OTF ("Out The Front") knives, but I thought there was a slicker name for them.

https://bladeops.com/out-the-front/

This vid shows the double-action version starting at 1:00:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CznvftzS_4M

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 05:04:58 PM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 05:05:23 PM »
I keep an SOG "Twitch II" in my EDC Carry Bag and a Kershaw "SpeedSafe" next to my recliner. I also have a Leatherman "Blast" in the bag as well.
I need to update the image as LOCAL is "dead" and I sold the S&W and carry my G19 now :old:

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 09:03:10 PM »
I keep an SOG "Twitch II" in my EDC Carry Bag and a Kershaw "SpeedSafe" next to my recliner. I also have a Leatherman "Blast" in the bag as well.
I need to update the image as LOCAL is "dead" and I sold the S&W and carry my G19 now :old:

"Clergy badge"?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 10:50:03 PM »
He's on a mission from God.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 10:53:44 PM »
I probably use my flashlight more than my pocket knife.  Both get used daily though.

The flashlight was a perspective-changer for me.  It is now a zero effort thing to whip out the light and look more closely at a puddle under my vehicle at night, or peek at a shadow behind a trash can, or a million other mundane uses.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 01:43:21 AM »
I probably use my flashlight more than my pocket knife.  Both get used daily though.

The flashlight was a perspective-changer for me.  It is now a zero effort thing to whip out the light and look more closely at a puddle under my vehicle at night, or peek at a shadow behind a trash can, or a million other mundane uses.

Truth. Amazing how many times a day I use the pocket flashlight.  And the knife, a little Leek with good steel. I wish they made them left handed.
 I cut a lot of corrugated cardboard, and make a lot of boxes- one thin tablesaw score through the corrugations, and a compression down the groove with the end of the knife handle, and a perfect fold results.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 08:10:54 AM »
+1 on the flashlight. I don't know if I use it more than the knife, but I do use it frequently. When you have one handy, it comes in, well, handy. :)

As I get old, I find it especially helpful in low light situations where I'm looking at small parts or text (like reading instructions for something I'm installing) because my eyes are getting for *expletive deleted*it for that kind of thing if the area is not well lit. For my kind of EDC, it's why I like my Fenix E15 with the four levels off the bezel, starting with low. More often than not, the low is all I need. Immediate super lumen setting, for me, is tactical, and in that case I'll either have a pistol with an attached light or put a Surefire in a holster on my gun belt.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »
The Art Of Negotiation

Looking back over the thread, I was amused because...

I used to be in the Army Guard.  Everybody had a knife.  Some had two.

Now I'm in the Air Guard.  Nobody has a knife.  Even after our shop chief ordered everybody a Gerber multi-tool, nobody carries them.  One guy in particular was always asking to borrow mine, so after my boss got me a dozen box cutters I put them in a bucket and left them on this guy's work bench.

He eventually lost all of them.
 :facepalm:

Everyone was always "borrowing" a steel tape measure from me and making them disappear even though they were labeled with my department.  So one day I ordered ten 25-footers and naturally I got a kickback from Purchasing wanting to know why I needed ten of them.  Smartassed me said I needed to measure out 250 feet.

That went over like a lead balloon, but of course we settled on three of them after I 'splained the situation (and as I had pre-planned).

They lasted almost a year before I had to order more.

Terry, 230RN

(Knives and flashlights and what-all.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:30:14 AM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 10:17:59 AM »
"Clergy badge"?

Hey, free parking! LOL, I got ordained just for shits & giggles. Got all the papers and everything. I can marry people in a LOT of states, including mine.  :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 10:24:01 AM »
^"Universal Life Church?"

Me too, same reasons, but I never got a Clergy Badge.

I feel left out.

Rev Terry, yo.