Author Topic: Chicken fried steak  (Read 3076 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Chicken fried steak
« on: November 04, 2019, 09:18:43 AM »
I've been using the Pioneer Woman's recipe

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/chicken-fried-steak/

for chicken fried steak.  I tried a few others but I like hers the best.  For me, it's the gravy that makes this meal. 

I like the Idahoan flavored mashed potato mixes for this.  https://idahoan.com/product-category/flavored-mashed

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Chicken fried steak
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 10:28:07 AM »
I just made that last night.

I essentially follow that recipe with a few exceptions. I had never seen it before but it sounds basic and good.

I use just eggs for the dip (only 2 steaks). I place the flour, spices and herbs into a gallon zip lock bag. I put the (undipped) meat into the bag one at a time and shake to cover with seasoned flour. After those are done I dip the steaks one at a time into the egg mixture and place back into the zip lock bag and shake to cover. Remove and place in hot oil, repeat as necessary with remaining steaks.

For the gravy I will use the flour I dipped the steaks in to make the roux, one addition I make is the addition of one or two beef bullion cubes (smashed with a tenderizer to powder) into the gravy as it cooks. Chicken bullion works just as well.

By doing the first flour dredge (shake and cover) without dipping into the egg gives a lighter crust on the meat which we prefer.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »
I do the same thing with venison.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »
I do the same thing with venison.

Yep, that's how we made venison heart when I was a kid- slice it thin then chicken fry it. YUM!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »
Undersalted gravy is a sacrilege.

And grody.

AAAAAA-MEN, SISTER!!

That's essentially the recipe used on every ranch, well... ever, for pan-frying breaded steak/chicken and making gravy.

A lot of people don't realized just how easy cream gravy is to make. The only trick is to not add too much flour at once. Most recipes tell you not to add flour to hot oil, setting the pan aside to cool before incorporating. It's not a problem if you sift it on slowly. No leftover fry grease or bacon drippings? No problem Use a big dollop of butter instead. Salt & pepper the hell out of it for a passable gravy (by "passable" I mean about a thousand percent better than the package-mix stuff).

She didn't use buttermilk for the coating but I suppose whole milk is fine in a pinch. No points lost.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 01:21:21 PM »
"No problem Use a big dollop of butter instead."

Be sure to let the water foam out of the melted butter before you add the flour or you can get lumps that you'll never get out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.