Author Topic: I love my crock pot..  (Read 3807 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I love my crock pot..
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:16:53 AM »
Or I will when I get home.

This morning I threw a 2.5 pound eye round roast into the crock pot with a package of Campbell's Tavern Style Pot Roast sauce.

Turned it on low, and dinner will be ready when I get home around 3:30. Whip up some mashed potatoes and some frozen broccoli, and I'll have one hell of a tasty meal for a cold day.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: I love my crock pot..
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 08:51:24 AM »
Crock pot Kalua pork , so easy anyone can do it. It makes 3 meals at a minimum for the two of us. It does take some planning because it cooks for 16-20 hours.

bob

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 08:51:53 PM »
That's some friggin comfort food on a cold, shitty November day.

Ever try it with onion soup mix?  I've never heard of pot roast sauce, but I'd give it a whirl.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 07:56:24 AM »
"That's some friggin comfort food on a cold, shitty November day."

Damned straight, and that's exactly what it was. Pure comfort. Throw in my pellet stove pumping out heat and casting a nice glow plus Seren hanging out on the sofa with me and it was pure freaking bliss.

And tonight for dinner I'm going to thicken the remaining sauce (and maybe add a packet of McCormick's brown gravy) and make open faced hot roast beef sandwiches with mashed potatoes and gravy -- one of my all time favorite sandwiches. Sub in turkey and you do have my all time favorite sandwich.

I have done the onion soup mix and that is also good, especially if you throw in a ton of additional sliced onions and a bunch of mushrooms, but I normally reserve the onion soup for meat loaf.

I would have added mushrooms to the crock pot but be damned if I didn't forget to get when I was at the store.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 08:56:10 AM »
Crock pot Kalua pork , so easy anyone can do it. It makes 3 meals at a minimum for the two of us. It does take some planning because it cooks for 16-20 hours.

bob

So basically pulled pork?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 10:10:36 AM »
So basically pulled pork?

Yes, with a Hawaiian twist. This tastes like the pig from the ground from a luau. I like to serve it with white rice and grilled pineapple.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 12:27:51 AM »
Yes, with a Hawaiian twist. This tastes like the pig from the ground from a luau. I like to serve it with white rice and grilled pineapple.

bob

so pork, salt and liquid smoke? I'm a Midwest boy who has done many a whole pig roasts, seems pretty simple for a "Hawaiian pit pig"
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
so pork, salt and liquid smoke? I'm a Midwest boy who has done many a whole pig roasts, seems pretty simple for a "Hawaiian pit pig"

That's all you use and then about 20 hours in the crock pot. I was surprised at how well it tasted. All of my whole pigs roasts have been done in a Cajun microwave* so this has a different flavor. I have only been to 6 or so Hawaiian pig roasts and this is pretty close.

* https://www.lacajachina.com/wooden-la-caja-china-roasting-box-s/45.htm?msclkid=f6fe449064f7135463b0195ed9978804

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »
A few years back I had to buy a replacement slow cooker. The unit selected was bought for the capacity and a couple of features I wanted but also came with a temp probe. I didn't really think much about it but it has come in really handy.

The only thing I really despise about the current crop of slow cookers is lack of finite temp control. My old-reliable Dazey had an actual temp knob. It was a slow cooker/fryer combo so I could set it to whatever I wanted from barely warm to 375 degrees. The new one? Low/Med/High, though I'm not sure why it has a low and medium as both bring contents to at least a healthy simmer. I want Low to actually be Low, dammit, somewhere around 170-180 deg F, not a couple degrees shy of a full boil.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 01:42:48 PM »
"I want Low to actually be Low, dammit, somewhere around 170-180 deg F, not a couple degrees shy of a full boil."

Yeah, guess who ruined that for you?

People who got sick because food temperatures fell into the danger zone and nasty critters started to grow. Old crock pots would often hold a low temperature under 140 degrees, and warm would be about 110... danger danger ptomaine range...