Author Topic: Welp, Virginia is screwed  (Read 37713 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Welp, Virginia is screwed
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
I suspect (hope?) that if the Governor were to mobilize the Virginia contingent of the National Guard to pull this crap that Trump would nationalize the guard and order them to stand down.

Does he have any advisers smart enough to remind him he can do that?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2019, 10:56:04 AM »

And also - I don't know the mechanics of it - how easy is it for him to do? Any potential unintended consequences?

I ask this while at the same time liking the idea.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »

Pretty sure he does .....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2019, 11:47:15 AM »
I'm not certain the National Guard can be federalized without the states consent.  It's a murky area of mixed funding and authority, and I'm not Guard, but I seem to recall some legal classes where they said the state had to sign off on the call up.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »
I'm not certain the National Guard can be federalized without the states consent.  It's a murky area of mixed funding and authority, and I'm not Guard, but I seem to recall some legal classes where they said the state had to sign off on the call up.

IIRC Eisenhower nationalized guard to protect schools and enforce desegregation 60 years ago .... I doubt he asked state pefmission...

If it turns out he needs permission .... I suppose Trump could order in the U. S. Army to stop the NG  .... which would be quite interesting.   I have NO IDEA if Trump would do this.   
It presents a rather dark picture of what would be an ugly development, though .... =|
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »

I think that changed in 2007, and yes he can.  The John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007.  That's from a quick search online and I haven't dug into it yet in much depth (like does Congress have to declare an emergency) but all 50 governors were pissed off about it.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2019, 11:59:35 AM »

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that's the case. There is at least one instance which is directly onpoint...

In 1957 Arkansas Governor Orville Faubus called up the Arkansas National Guard to prevent black students from enrolling in/attending Little Rock High School. In doing so Faubus was directly contradicting a Federal integration order.

President Eisenhower federalized the Guard, effectively removing them from Faubus' control, and ordered troops back to their armories and sent in units from the 101st Airborne Division to maintain civil order and protect the black students.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2019, 12:50:47 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that's the case. There is at least one instance which is directly onpoint...

In 1957 Arkansas Governor Orville Faubus called up the Arkansas National Guard to prevent black students from enrolling in/attending Little Rock High School. In doing so Faubus was directly contradicting a Federal integration order.

President Eisenhower federalized the Guard, effectively removing them from Faubus' control, and ordered troops back to their armories and sent in units from the 101st Airborne Division to maintain civil order and protect the black students.

Eisenhower may have exceeded his authority when he did so.  It still sets a precedent.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2019, 08:55:28 PM »
I suspect (hope?) that if the Governor were to mobilize the Virginia contingent of the National Guard to pull this crap that Trump would nationalize the guard and order them to stand down.

It has been done in the past and according to the Constitution, Congress has to provide for calling forth the militia. Does that law that was passed in 2007 constitute that provision? Does it still or did it sunset? Just curious.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2019, 10:44:30 PM »
It has been done in the past and according to the Constitution, Congress has to provide for calling forth the militia. Does that law that was passed in 2007 constitute that provision? Does it still or did it sunset? Just curious.

Woody

The Constitution? Is that still a thing?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2019, 10:46:45 PM »
The Constitution? Is that still a thing?

Obviously, things can be ignored by the government whenever convenient.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
Obviously, things can be ignored by the government whenever convenient.

I think you're right. Isn't that in the "Why Bother" clause?  :old: Or is it in the "What the F*** For" clause?  :facepalm:

Woody

"I swear to protect the Right to Keep and Bear Arms,  but I am not trigger-happy.  I am merely prepared and determined in its defense. It's a comfortable place to be. I don't suffer doubt."      B.E.Wood
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »
The attacker draws his knife to attack . . . and gets shot by a passerby.

And shot again by another. And shot again by a third until the attacker is no longer a threat.

See, in West Virginia, concealed carry is a right within the confines of the state. It reflects the state motto: Montani Semper Liberi. Mountaineers are always free.

Welcome to West Virginia. It’s where America begins.

https://amgreatness.com/2019/12/01/a-tale-of-three-bridges/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2020, 12:20:33 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2020, 08:11:23 AM »
https://legiscan.com/VA/bill/HB567/2020

That bill is designed to do one thing and one thing only... shut down the NRA Range. It's punitive. NRA needs to fight the hell out of that one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
I think you're right. Isn't that in the "Why Bother" clause?  :old: Or is it in the "What the F*** For" clause?  :facepalm:

Woody

"I swear to protect the Right to Keep and Bear Arms,  but I am not trigger-happy.  I am merely prepared and determined in its defense. It's a comfortable place to be. I don't suffer doubt."      B.E.Wood
I thought it might be the "What difference, at this point, does it make?" clause. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »
If the dumb-o-crats in Virginia wanted to foment armed rebellion what do you think they could do differently?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »
If the dumb-o-crats in Virginia wanted to foment armed rebellion what do you think they could do differently?
I recall when Obama mentioned creating some sort of peace corps type organization that was as powerful as the military.  That might be one way.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2020, 09:54:46 AM »
That bill is designed to do one thing and one thing only... shut down the NRA Range. It's punitive. NRA needs to fight the hell out of that one.

The fact that it'll produce a list of people who go shooting at the government owned ranges is a bonus.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »

That is what they are counting on, a violent emotional response they can parlay into their propaganda narrative of disarming the public.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2020, 10:46:10 AM »
I just don't think it'll work out like they think it will.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2020, 10:58:57 AM »
Next thing you know they'll start requiring a valid current ID, which we all know is racist, to purchase a gun.

Oh wait.....
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2020, 05:15:58 PM »
Now one of the VA retards has introduced a bill to require VA’s electoral votes to follow the “popular vote”...just like CO.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2020, 12:47:48 AM »
Now one of the VA retards has introduced a bill to require VA’s electoral votes to follow the “popular vote”...just like CO.

I hope stuff like this really drives the state red for a long time.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.