Author Topic: Welp, Virginia is screwed  (Read 37893 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Welp, Virginia is screwed
« Reply #325 on: January 24, 2020, 02:05:32 PM »
Don't say never.

TDS is kind of what happened in Wisconsin back in 2010-2011 writ large.

When we got a GOP governor with GOP majorities in both houses of the Legislature, they started on a program of fiscal responsibility. And the Left/Teacher's and .gov Unions went nuts. They refused minimal concessions that still left them sitting pretty as compared to the private sector, to balance the budget.

So the WI GOP, getting no cooperation went and just busted all teachers and .gov unions in WI with Act 10. The WI Left then went turd-throwing-monkey nuts. They went on a full court press to recall the governor and several legislators. Strident leftists were seen in every retail parking lot approaching people to sign recall petitions. Families had fights and even a few marriages were split over it. Much like Trump's win in 2016. There was a chanting and a drum circle protest that ran in shifts inside the WI capitol rotunda for years.

Long and short of it, they made the WI Right dig in and get determined, and more importantly, they alienated the entire WI political middle. And the Governor won the recall election with more votes than he'd gotten in the general. And the GOP held onto the Legislature too.

I also see little signs that some of the American Left at the Federal level is getting a sinking feeling that all their efforts to oppose and remove Trump might actually create a backlash. Stuff like Adam Schiff already making excuses for Trump winning the 2020 election for instance...

https://thefederalist.com/2020/01/22/adam-schiff-is-already-claiming-the-illegitimacy-of-a-trump-reelection/

I'm pretty sure that whole mess is part of why WI went Trump in '16
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #326 on: January 24, 2020, 02:05:56 PM »
I'll say never when Los Angeles County his more voters in it than what, something like 26 states?

I think that any municipality/county with a population higher than Wyoming, or that meets some other proportional factor as compared to it's own original home state, ought to be it's own little state. I don't think places like CA, IL, and NYS being held hostage to a diametrically opposed set of cultural and fiscal values by their large cities is what the founders intended.

Having NoVa and SoVa split for instance would solve much of the current tussle over gun laws for instance.

Far from a perfect solution, but I think it would be a start, and help a bit with the bubbling undercurrent of CWII going on in America.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #327 on: January 24, 2020, 02:10:48 PM »
"Having NoVa and SoVa split for instance would solve much of the current tussle over gun laws for instance."

Not for me it wouldn't.  :mad:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #328 on: January 24, 2020, 02:14:55 PM »
"Having NoVa and SoVa split for instance would solve much of the current tussle over gun laws for instance."

Not for me it wouldn't.  :mad:

You'll have to shoot your way out I'm afraid. I asked Mrs. Dual if I could cash in some vacation time and be your battle buddy, but she said "no".  =|
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #329 on: January 24, 2020, 02:26:27 PM »
"I asked Mrs. Dual if I could cash in some vacation time and be your battle buddy, but she said "no"."

Fly home, Buddy! I work alone!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #330 on: January 24, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »
I think that any municipality/county with a population higher than Wyoming, or that meets some other proportional factor as compared to it's own original home state, ought to be it's own little state. I don't think places like CA, IL, and NYS being held hostage to a diametrically opposed set of cultural and fiscal values by their large cities is what the founders intended.

Having NoVa and SoVa split for instance would solve much of the current tussle over gun laws for instance.

Far from a perfect solution, but I think it would be a start, and help a bit with the bubbling undercurrent of CWII going on in America.
Just set up a county by county electoral college in each state.  

Sometimes I wonder if we should not have capped the number of Representatives in the House.  Make them expand to many hundreds to the point none of them are special.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #332 on: January 25, 2020, 10:16:38 PM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/new-deadlier-ar-16-introduced-which-is-an-ar-15-wearing-a-maga-hat
Does that mean they made a head shaped carry handle mount to hold the hat?  Need to make it compatible with picatinny rails and M-lok.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #333 on: January 26, 2020, 11:14:48 AM »
For you folks in VA, if you want relief (a cure) for the overwhelming liberal/leftist population in the cities controlling the entire state, make Virginia to a republic. All it takes is to give each county one senator. Then, it won't matter how the population is divided/Gerrymandered for the House of Representatives. If VA is anything like OK, you have two houses of representatives, and you folks living out in the countryside are at the mercy of the population centers.

Reform your senate as I described, and nothing will pass out of the VA legislature that isn't good for either the cities or the countryside. If the cities want to do something special, let them handle it on their own and not drag the rest of the state, kicking and screaming, along with them.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #334 on: January 26, 2020, 11:21:17 AM »
For you folks in VA, if you want relief (a cure) for the overwhelming liberal/leftist population in the cities controlling the entire state, make Virginia to a republic. All it takes is to give each county one senator. Then, it won't matter how the population is divided/Gerrymandered for the House of Representatives. If VA is anything like OK, you have two houses of representatives, and you folks living out in the countryside are at the mercy of the population centers.

Reform your senate as I described, and nothing will pass out of the VA legislature that isn't good for either the cities or the countryside. If the cities want to do something special, let them handle it on their own and not drag the rest of the state, kicking and screaming, along with them.

Woody

What's your plan for getting it through the current government of Virginia?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #335 on: January 26, 2020, 11:25:04 AM »

Yep.  Sadly the time to do that passed long ago.  Those in power won't let it happen now.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #336 on: January 26, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »
There are times I wish it was this simple

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #337 on: January 26, 2020, 12:13:40 PM »
Yep.  Sadly the time to do that passed long ago.  Those in power won't let it happen now.

Just like California. Republican legislators are simply there now and in such small numbers that the dems just use them for the butt of their jokes. I wish I could say I hope it changes someday, but I think it's too late.

It might not be too late for VA yet, but they are at a minimum at a critical stage where everyone has to get out and vote. Much of what happened in CA happened because conservative people said, "It'll never happen" and too many fence sitters never bothered to pay attention or vote. Now it's likely too late and everyone is asking, "How did this happen?"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #338 on: January 26, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »

Woody

I want to scream. WE HAD THIS!   It was stolen from us by the USSC.  Most states used to have a system like the Federal system, where the representatives were based on population, and the Senators were by geographic location (Counties).

"Baker vs Carr" and associated cases, rescinded that and required Senators be allotted by population, thus ensuring Seattle would RULE Washington, Denver Rules CO, etc and on-

This was  done to ensure "equality, one person, one vote , the same old bushwah. One opposing Justice made the comment, the plaintiff is not saying they are not represented, they are saying they did not get their way...  This is the same reason the communists Democrats are talking about getting rid of the electoral college-to ensure the major (communist Democrat dominated) areas can rule over the rest of the US. 

On retirement, Earl Warren, Chief Justice, said this was the most important case of his tenure on the court. THE MOST IMPORTANT. 

People are always complaining about how the urban areas seem to have control of their state, but most do not seem to understand why- it was a deliberate attack on a well designed system that had been set up to give rural areas a voice.

Of all USSC cases, this is the one I would like to see challenged. The situation in Virginia, where 95 percent of the counties are opposing Richmond, might be a good argument that representation has been illegally taken away from the rural areas.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #339 on: January 26, 2020, 06:26:47 PM »

First off, it isn't up to me. It's up to Virginians. If Virginia has initiative petition, the people can get it done.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2020, 06:29:36 PM »
I want to scream. WE HAD THIS!   It was stolen from us by the USSC.  Most states used to have a system like the Federal system, where the representatives were based on population, and the Senators were by geographic location (Counties).

"Baker vs Carr" and associated cases, rescinded that and required Senators be allotted by population, thus ensuring Seattle would RULE Washington, Denver Rules CO, etc and on-

This was  done to ensure "equality, one person, one vote , the same old bushwah. One opposing Justice made the comment, the plaintiff is not saying they are not represented, they are saying they did not get their way...  This is the same reason the communists Democrats are talking about getting rid of the electoral college-to ensure the major (communist Democrat dominated) areas can rule over the rest of the US. 

On retirement, Earl Warren, Chief Justice, said this was the most important case of his tenure on the court. THE MOST IMPORTANT. 

People are always complaining about how the urban areas seem to have control of their state, but most do not seem to understand why- it was a deliberate attack on a well designed system that had been set up to give rural areas a voice.

Of all USSC cases, this is the one I would like to see challenged. The situation in Virginia, where 95 percent of the counties are opposing Richmond, might be a good argument that representation has been illegally taken away from the rural areas.

Another case that caused this is Reynolds V. Sims.

Woody

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
« Reply #341 on: January 26, 2020, 06:36:40 PM »
Virginia's constitution allows for initiative petitions for it to be amended. (Many states allow that and some much more via initiative petition.) That is the path that needs to be pursued. And SOON! Like maybe last week!

Woody

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #342 on: January 26, 2020, 06:48:16 PM »
Can the Virginia governor be recalled, or only impeached?  What I've read of VA law seems ambiguous on the matter.  And the petition doesn't trigger a recall election, it triggers a recall trial in a circuit court.
"It's good, though..."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2020, 09:43:45 PM »
Another case that caused this is Reynolds V. Sims.

Woody
Yes- Can't remember which came first, they were both associated in some manner.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #344 on: February 10, 2020, 10:13:33 AM »
Can't let this fall off the first page, because the Democrats aren't done!!

Not guns this time, but the "FIGHT FOR 15!!!" idiots:

https://wtvr.com/2020/01/07/democrats-push-to-raise-minimum-wage-in-virginia-during-2020-ga-session/

So, we'll have a $15 minimum wage by 2025, no matter which of the Democrats' stupid proposals win.

And, we were ranked "Best State for Business" last year. Democrats are moving as fast as possible because that's just not fair to other states. By 2015, we'll easily be in the bottom half.

Secession and joining West Virginia is looking better and better for the vast majority of the state.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #345 on: February 10, 2020, 10:17:12 AM »
What?

No mention of the fact that the Dems are pushing VERY hard to overturn Virginia's right to work state status?

https://www.thecentersquare.com/virginia/bill-to-fully-repeal-right-to-work-protections-passes-first/article_93c03646-49ea-11ea-8e85-fbfa879537b8.html

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #346 on: February 10, 2020, 10:41:04 AM »
What?

No mention of the fact that the Dems are pushing VERY hard to overturn Virginia's right to work state status?

https://www.thecentersquare.com/virginia/bill-to-fully-repeal-right-to-work-protections-passes-first/article_93c03646-49ea-11ea-8e85-fbfa879537b8.html

Everyone must be forced into being part of the democrat apparatus for their own good
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #347 on: February 11, 2020, 05:48:25 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #348 on: February 11, 2020, 05:55:48 PM »
I wonder what the chances are of getting a say on it should it go all the way through? Or maybe a procedural delay long enough to get through the election cycle?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #349 on: February 11, 2020, 07:02:41 PM »
Geez - to top it off, the VA house passed the "Whatever CA and NY say" popular vote bill as well.