Author Topic: Welp, Virginia is screwed  (Read 37708 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Welp, Virginia is screwed
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2020, 06:30:20 AM »
Generally speaking, once a state goes blue, the transition is permanent.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »
I hope stuff like this really drives the state red for a long time.

For a purple state, the dems certainly seem to be going full retard in a short time span. I'll give the dems credit in CA and other very blue states for incrementally going retard and slowly boiling conservatives in water before they went "Gavin Newsom".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2020, 09:13:01 AM »
For a purple state, the dems certainly seem to be going full retard in a short time span. I'll give the dems credit in CA and other very blue states for incrementally going retard and slowly boiling conservatives in water before they went "Gavin Newsom".

The Dems seem to be convinced that the demographic shift is complete (in Virginia) and don't have to worry about challenges to their power ever again.

While I hope that is not the case, the pessimist in me sees that they have been fighting a long war to change the make up of this state (like the US as a whole) and have been winning. The Republicans, on the other hand, have been doing nothing but losing, especially in this state, because they refuse to fight.

I'm STILL angry about how they knee-capped Ken Cuccinelli, all because they didn't want some "So-con" to win the governorship. The Republican "elites" are more concerned about who gets to run the Republican party than they are about defeating the Democrats.

I really want to spit on most of the feckless party apparatchiks in the state.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2020, 12:43:40 PM »
"The Dems seem to be convinced that the demographic shift is complete (in Virginia) and don't have to worry about challenges to their power ever again."

Not by the e-mails I'm getting from the state Democratic Committee. They're nervous as hell that Virginia is still seen as a battle ground state instead of being solidly anti-Trump. And they seem to recognize that they need to walk something of a fine line on the Free *expletive deleted*it policies that they're coming out with. A lot of them have been scaled back from what was originally proposed.

Remember, it was only in 1994/1995 that Virginia flipped from Blue to Red at the state level. Prior to that, the state had been pretty solidly blue since Reconstruction.

There had been Republican three consecutive Republican governors in the early 1970s, but the legislature stayed in the hands of the Democrats. Prior to Linwood Holton, who was elected in 1970, the previous Republican governor was Gilbert Walker... in 1869. And he was initially appointed by the US Army, but was later elected outright.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2020, 01:58:08 PM »
It's way more in play than they want to admit. I think without Kaine on the D ticket that Trump narrowly flips the state next election. The real question is how does the state R party suck so bad? Mark Warner and Kaine are turds, yet here we are. We elect D child molestors at state level. Huge numbers of races are uncontested. The party seems to be very pre-trump rules. Screw it, Nick Freitas for president, seems one of the few bright spots.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2020, 02:43:16 PM »
Warner was actually pretty damned good for Virginia gun owners when he was governor. He signed/supported some pretty favorable legislation. But, of course, once he got to Washington, his true stripes showed themselves.

And yes, Virginia's Republican Party apparatus is a *expletive deleted*ing nightmare. They didn't oppose what, 30% or so of the races this past November? In other words, they very meekly surrendered 30% of legislative seats to the Democrats without even as much as a fight.

That's a disgrace.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2020, 06:25:20 PM »
(Blatantly usurped from cs&d's Faceplace post earlier this afternoon.)

Nope, we're not funding a squad of troopers to confiscate your guns. Instead, we're funding something far worse... a squad of bureaucrats to figure out ways to charge money and make even more of you paperwork felons.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2020/01/07/no-virginia-the-governors-budget-doesnt-fund-an-18-officer-gun-confiscation-squad/?fbclid=IwAR25bNSQn9PIhof66KtPz449s-g19LU1o4L3Iz4FP_CLqbS5IWoCnZTXdCs

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2020, 09:10:29 PM »
I went to my county's special session sh-tshow tonight. 380 people in a county of 2100 is a big deal. 24-1 on speakers as in favor vs. opposed. Gotta give credit to the one person for saying their piece. Commonwealth attorney must have sucked a whole bag of lemons to hold that look for two hours. Board always has been a bunch to avoid getting pinned down on anything, their plan was to table the resolution for the next regular meeting. And....that's where the meeting got ugly. In the end they voted for it. They need to go just because they never have a spine on anything. Our county's one black guy talked well from the perspective of a rights restored felon who had observed that the urban extra-legal gun enthusiast will get guns no matter the laws. I tried to shape my remarks towards the board in that they should be very offended that the limited time of the General Assembly will be dominated by this issue and that they, the representatives of the state's smallest county, will get ignored even more than normal.
AKA Navy Joe   

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2020, 11:43:10 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2020, 11:49:51 PM »
https://legiscan.com/VA/bill/HB899/2020

Laugh or cry? Some of that is hopelessly outdated, lifted from the 80's hysteria on soft armor penetrating handgun bullets. And the other part bans that M2 armor piercing that was tragically in my tackle box on that fateful day, M855, any combloc steel core garbage, Barnes X bullets, any other copper monoliths, enviro friendly lead free ammo, who knows what all it bans.
AKA Navy Joe   

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2020, 12:06:51 AM »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2020, 07:41:30 AM »
Laugh or cry? Some of that is hopelessly outdated, lifted from the 80's hysteria on soft armor penetrating handgun bullets. And the other part bans that M2 armor piercing that was tragically in my tackle box on that fateful day, M855, any combloc steel core garbage, Barnes X bullets, any other copper monoliths, enviro friendly lead free ammo, who knows what all it bans.

They saw in a Hollywood movie so it must be true. The feeling is settled.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2020, 11:05:43 AM »
Generally speaking, once a state goes blue, the transition is permanent.

The democrats controlled my state for well over a hundred years.

No more, as of ten or so years ago.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »
So laws don't go into effect until July 1. Session started this week. Lobby day with large gun rights attendance on 1/20. Hmmm, what to do? Rules committee bans all guns in the capitol building and associated offices. Previously GA members and CHL were permitted to carry. And they are probably going to try to pass a bunch of crap real quick like next monday.
AKA Navy Joe   

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2020, 01:20:14 AM »
So laws don't go into effect until July 1. Session started this week. Lobby day with large gun rights attendance on 1/20. Hmmm, what to do? Rules committee bans all guns in the capitol building and associated offices. Previously GA members and CHL were permitted to carry. And they are probably going to try to pass a bunch of crap real quick like next monday.

What about antiques?  Some Colt SAA's (probably too valuable to carry) and late 19th century S&W .38 revolvers are antiques even tho' they use a modern cartridge.  And anything muzzleloading, like a Ruger Old Army.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2020, 07:33:00 AM »
I've not been able to find any confirmation of this, but I saw a report saying that the Assault Weapons ban legislation has been shelved at least for the time being in Virginia.

Anyone know if that's true?

OK, I just found an article on WTOP (DC radio news station) saying, in one line at the absolute bottom of the article, that the assault weapons bill had been struck. https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/01/virginia-democrats-advance-gun-bills-in-senate/

But I don't understand... Governor Blackface, Lt. Gov. Accused Rapist, and Atty Gen. Blackface tell us that hundreds of thousands of Virginians are being slaughtered every second by white rednecks wielding assault weapons. Won't someone think of the children?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2020, 07:42:21 AM »
And, the other shoe drops...

It's looking like the sponsor of the assault weapons ban that was withdrawn, Richard Saslaw, did so to make way for an even more draconian bill that's currently in the house. The difference? The house bill would make anyone possessing a magazine holding greater than 10 rounds a felon.

That's right, a *expletive deleted*ing felony.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »
If you were a globalist leftist intent on provoking "bubba" to violence so you could justify disarming the public, what would you do differently?

Also ...

Large public demonstrations are a tactic of the left. The media will not put an accurate or positive spin on the right attempting to use the same tactics.

The risk of false flag or moron actions is high.

The capital is their terrain.

I hope I'm wrong.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2020, 08:24:21 AM »
I saw an article yesterday about VA apparently restricting guns in state buildings and installing metal detectors. It showed lines of state employees waiting to go through the detectors, sometimes waiting 1-2 hours. That's gotta make VA taxpayers happy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2020, 09:44:09 AM »
I saw an article yesterday about VA apparently restricting guns in state buildings and installing metal detectors. It showed lines of state employees waiting to go through the detectors, sometimes waiting 1-2 hours. That's gotta make VA taxpayers happy.

Yep, just enacted. And, unlike most other laws that are passed by the legislature, it went into effect IMMEDIATELY.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2020, 09:47:17 AM »
https://www.virginiamercury.com/blog-va/hour-plus-lines-ensnare-access-to-general-assembly-building-on-first-day-of-new-security-measures/

Read the last sentence in that.

It ensures a safe environment...

Because it Newark, New Jersey when legal guns were allowed in before, apparently.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2020, 12:13:10 PM »
Sounds like VCDL and other pro 2A groups needs to start showing up in mass early enough to be first in line. Unarmed of course but prominently wearing pro 2nd Amendment  message clothing. Give the legislature what they voted for good and hard.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/01/12/nra-30-round-mags-va-fight-against-northam-gun-ban/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
The NRA will be handing out 1,000 30-round magazines in the Virginia Capitol City of Richmond Monday as part of the fight against Gov. Ralph Northam’s (D) gun grab.

If any of you are close, might be a chance to get some of your NRA money back. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2020, 12:40:34 PM »
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/01/12/nra-30-round-mags-va-fight-against-northam-gun-ban/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
If any of you are close, might be a chance to get some of your NRA money back. 

They are provided by Magpul. Wayne already spent your money.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2020, 07:20:24 PM »
Governor Northam declares a state of emergency to thwart pro-2A demonstration on the 20th:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/virginia/northam-declares-state-of-emergency/65-e88451aa-ab3e-4de0-9e01-a1533a0b88e9

RICHMOND, Va. — Virginia Governor Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency Wednesday afternoon ahead of Monday's gun rights rally at the state Capitol.

He said there are credible threats of Charlottesville style violence that could repeat at the capitol grounds on Monday. He also said that credible intelligence reveals white extremist militia groups plan to enact violence during the rally.

Uh-huh ...

Potential threats include "weaponizing drones above the state Capitol" and "storming the Capitol grounds," Northam said Wednesday.

Riiiight ....

The Governor has prohibited all weapons, including firearms, from Capitol grounds.

Of course.  Can't have those unwashed rednecks exercising their Constitutional rights, can we?

Gun rights supporters are planning to sweep into Richmond on Martin Luther King Day. Organizers from the Virginia Citizens Defense League are predicting as many as 130,000 armed protesters from across the country could rally in Capitol Square on Martin Luther King Day. But they insist they're trying to avoid the kind of deadly chaos that swept Charlottesville in the summer of 2017.

"This is just average gun owners and average Virginians coming out to support them," Stewart Rhodes, founder of far-right group Oath Keepers, said. "It has nothing to do with white nationalism."

Oath Keepers are far-right?

Of course, when no violence materializes, the governor will claim his state of emergency prevented it.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama