Author Topic: Welp, Virginia is screwed  (Read 37706 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Welp, Virginia is screwed
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2020, 08:00:29 PM »
Governor Northam declares a state of emergency to thwart pro-2A demonstration on the 20th:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/virginia/northam-declares-state-of-emergency/65-e88451aa-ab3e-4de0-9e01-a1533a0b88e9

Uh-huh ...

Riiiight ....

Of course.  Can't have those unwashed rednecks exercising their Constitutional rights, can we?

Oath Keepers are far-right?

Of course, when no violence materializes, the governor will claim his state of emergency prevented it.

Never let a crisis go to waste.
I have no doubt that the dems are capable of any manner of despicable act to advance their cause.
I hope I'm wrong but I've got a bad feeling about this situation.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
Oath Keepers are far-right?

Because you know, the constitution is a far right racist document written by old rich white men and we need to impeach Trump to protect it from Oath Keepers. Or something like that
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
Northam's Twitter account is getting lit up:

https://twitter.com/GovernorVA/status/1217538459793010688

One of the comments:  "Virginia Code 44-146.15 says you can't do that."

Can someone familiar with the Virginia Code elaborate?

ETA:   https://law.onecle.com/virginia/military-and-emergency-laws/44-146.15.html

Nothing in this chapter is to be construed to:
(3) Empower the Governor, any political subdivision, or any other governmental authority to in any way limit the rights of the people to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by Article I, Section 13 of the Constitution of Virginia or the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, including the lawful possession, sale, or transfer of firearms except to the extent necessary to ensure public safety in any place or facility designated or used by the Governor, any political subdivision of the Commonwealth or any other governmental entity as an emergency shelter or for the purpose of sheltering persons;

Presumably Northam will claim that the "extent necessary to ensure public safety" justifies his emergency order.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:42:02 PM by Angel Eyes »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2020, 10:13:22 PM »
I just learned of the state of emergency sham. Utterly shameless.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2020, 11:38:28 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2020, 06:44:18 AM »
If you wanted to create a combustible situation with a high likelihood of conflict what would you do differently?

VA needs right wing violence against the state to fully justify their coming actions.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2020, 08:09:40 AM »
Here's another one of Helmer's bill...

https://legiscan.com/VA/bill/HB568/2020

I'm not exactly sure what I'm reading. Can anyone figure it out? It almost seems that it's saying that anyone in a moving vehicle, even a person with a CCW, has to secure the gun in a locked container.

In other words, you can't CCW in your car. Is that what this is saying?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2020, 08:10:29 AM »
You know, we (gunowners and 2A supporters) often talk about what we will do and what will happen when the commie pinkos finally put that last straw on the camel's back that shows them who the majority are. VA may be a real world first run.

Not to mean shots fired, but pushback against the overreach. This may be a first run of, "I know i have a comfortable life and don't want to deal with the legal system, but this is worth it." It would be awesome to see 1000 people show up with holstered handguns and slung rifles. VA residents (including possibly law enforcement) may be just fired up enough to do it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2020, 08:11:04 AM »
Northam's Twitter account is getting lit up:

https://twitter.com/GovernorVA/status/1217538459793010688

One of the comments:  "Virginia Code 44-146.15 says you can't do that."

Can someone familiar with the Virginia Code elaborate?

ETA:   https://law.onecle.com/virginia/military-and-emergency-laws/44-146.15.html

Presumably Northam will claim that the "extent necessary to ensure public safety" justifies his emergency order.

The text CLEARLY states it can only be enacted within an emergency shelter. But, of course, the left will gleefully ignore any law standing in their way and then (as we have seen in this very instance) get really angry when the right starts to do that to their laws.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2020, 08:15:01 AM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:35:00 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2020, 08:56:24 AM »
The text CLEARLY states it can only be enacted within an emergency shelter. But, of course, the left will gleefully ignore any law standing in their way and then (as we have seen in this very instance) get really angry when the right starts to do that to their laws.

Has anyone heard of anyone trying to take the Gov to court over it?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
OK, just found this in a Richmond Times Dispatch article: https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/northam-declares-state-of-emergency-imposes-temporary-gun-ban-for/article_22db22fd-ad59-5a5c-ad78-0b1917ba8c4e.html

"VCDL President Philip Van Cleave said in an interview Wednesday that he has encouraged peaceful demonstrations by rally participants. At the same time, he said the group plans to challenge Northam’s decision, which he believes goes beyond the governor’s legal authority.

“We believe it is illegal what he is doing,” Van Cleave said. “At this point, we’re going to try to take the governor to court. So it may mean guns aren’t banned on Monday.”

“The rally is going on no matter what.”

And, nice...

"Northam added that he believed the VCDL “may have unleashed something much larger, something they may not be able to control.”

Van Cleave pushed back on Northam’s statement.

“Excuse me, the governor caused all of this stuff,” Van Cleave said. “This is on him, not on us. All of these people are stirred up because of what he is doing, trying to remove guns from law-abiding citizens.”

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »
There's a petition to have northam impeached:  https://www.change.org/p/united-states-supreme-court-impeachment-of-virginia-governor-northam-for-infringing-on-2nd-amendment-rights

I don't think that's how impeachment works, but it's interesting to see the number of signers climb . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2020, 12:45:03 PM »
I don't know why they picked MLK day, because many of the state workers and elected officials have it as a paid holiday.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2020, 05:57:49 PM »
I don't know why they picked MLK day, because many of the state workers and elected officials have it as a paid holiday.

The state legislature works and traditionally its considered lobby day in the state, because many constituents have it off.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »
The state legislature works and traditionally its considered lobby day in the state, because many constituents have it off.

Did not know that, our legiscritters are off work that day.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
Think it goes back to Virginia's contentious relationship with MLK day. For awhile the official state holiday was Lee Jackson King Day and not for Spike and Michael. But yeah, always on MLK day is lobby day. I have been to a gun rally there before, can't this time, two jobs.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2020, 09:36:13 PM »
I hope right-leaning voters around the country remember this as we head into November. Do NOT fail to vote, or take a chance on voting Democrat! Don't let your state be the next domino!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2020, 11:54:46 PM »
I hope right-leaning voters around the country remember this as we head into November. Do NOT fail to vote, or take a chance on voting Democrat! Don't let your state be the next domino!
QFT
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2020, 07:37:04 AM »
Whelp, a judge yesterday denied to overturn Northham's overreach, so VCDL is going to appeal.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2020, 09:33:02 AM »
I'm going in for rotator cuff surgery Monday, should have some interesting news to wake up to.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2020, 09:50:12 AM »
My fear is that someone a bit on the radical left side of things will be in the crowd and open fire to cause an incident. More laws that will make what they're proposing/passing now seem tame in comparison will thus be needed to prevent it from happening again.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2020, 10:27:29 AM »
The event is ripe for a false flag incident.

The Democrats have seriously gone crazy.

Nothing is business as usual in the political realm anymore.

There are a lot of high stakes maneuvers taking place.

Just my random morning thoughts ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...