Author Topic: Oyster Pie...  (Read 3306 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oyster Pie...
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »
So, I'll be spending the holidays with Castle Key, Mrs. Castle Key, and his family again this year.

CK raises oysters, and we should have a pretty good crop this year for eating and other uses.

I'm thinking I want to try my hand at making a traditional Virginia/Carolina oyster pie for either Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I'm finding dozens of recipes with ingredients that are all over the place.

Anyone have an old family recipe that they like? Or am I pissing up an oyster tree here?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Oyster Pie...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 07:57:35 AM »
Hum...

Just happened on these recipes...

I think I might find something in here that will work.

https://midatlanticcooking.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/chesapeake-oyster-pie/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 09:26:30 AM »
I have no advice as I have never heard of oyster pie. However, as I particularly enjoy meat pies, this intrigues me.

Please report back with results.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »
This is probably going to be a Christmas thing after talking to Castle Key.  I'm really thinking that from that list that the Virginia Ham and Oyster Pie is going to be the winner.

Right now we're talking about trying to catch some legal sized rockfish off his pier to stuff them with crab meat for the T-giving table.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 09:52:48 AM »
Can you just use an apple pie recipe and substitute oysters?
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »
Oyster pie????

Is that anything like:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zb1qsVqjwg

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 12:37:18 PM »
I'm thinking that the oyster pie might be off.

I forgot that half or more of the people who will be at Christmas don't eat oysters.

And when I brought it up to those who do eat oysters, the result wasn't particularly overwhelmingly positive.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
Makes me jealous. I never have had much desire for much of a house, but to have a dock where I can acquire stripers and oysters? Arrrgh I wish. My great aunt had a place on Pax river, but that is long gone.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.