Author Topic: Supreme Court Rules that Excessive Fines Clause Applies to States  (Read 1088 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://reason.com/2019/02/20/supreme-court-rules-that-excessive-fines/

Earlier today, the Supreme Court issued its ruling in Timbs v. Indiana. The decision is potentially a major victory for property rights and civil liberties. The key questions before the Court are whether the Excessive Fines Clause of the Eighth Amendment is "incorporated" against state governments and, if so, whether at least some state civil asset forfeitures violate the Clause. The justices answered both questions with a unanimous and emphatic "yes."

I haven't had a chance to read through this yet, but it looks like a good step in the right direction.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Supreme Court Rules that Excessive Fines Clause Applies to States
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 03:52:36 PM »
It's also 9 months old...

But still a good step. Hopefully it will help put a stop to this crap happening next door to Indiana:

https://reason.com/2019/11/06/a-michigan-man-underpaid-his-property-taxes-by-8-41-the-county-seized-his-property-sold-it-and-kept-the-profits/
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 04:29:19 PM »
Not really the same thing, but fits in the same protections.  I am surprised he was able to go 2 or 3 years with unpaid tax debt without a stack of reminders telling him exactly how much he now owed.  Or that he would have to "calculate" the interest owed rather than him just paying a bill. 

I find it easier just to go to the local county annex building and pay property taxes in person.  They are usually very helpful and fast if you are giving them money as opposed to doing title transfers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 05:23:47 PM »
^^^I love that I can pay my property taxes online whilst in my jammies.  There is either a $ 60 'convenience fee' if using a credit card, or $0.50 as an electronic check.  Guess which option I go with.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 06:21:04 PM »
U.S. Code § 1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/1983
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 07:54:44 PM »
Not really the same thing, but fits in the same protections.  I am surprised he was able to go 2 or 3 years with unpaid tax debt without a stack of reminders telling him exactly how much he now owed.  Or that he would have to "calculate" the interest owed rather than him just paying a bill.  

I find it easier just to go to the local county annex building and pay property taxes in person.  They are usually very helpful and fast if you are giving them money as opposed to doing title transfers.  

In the article, it indicates the counties are doing the absolute minimum to alert people of the problem so they can foreclose. Lots of evil people in those governments. They have exchanges gleeful about what they'll do when they are allowed to steal the properties.

What's funny is they are acting like the caricature of the greedy capitalist... Bit they're from the government and they're here to help.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought