Author Topic: Propane Blowtorch  (Read 705 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Propane Blowtorch
« on: November 08, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »
Any of you guys have one? Recommended brand? I'm seeing a good variety on Amazon, and this morning while at D&B supply. They seem to really run the price range.

I'm looking for something that I can stick on a 20lb tank with a 10-15 foot hose. Starting brush fires, removing some fenceline weeds, and it seems some people use them on ice, which might be nice.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Propane Blowtorch
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 04:15:49 PM »
Kinda hard to screw up something that simple but I'd still want to stick with a brand you know.

This one seems good as any.
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electric-KH825-01-Inferno-Torch/dp/B00BJQUUHC/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=weed+burner+torch&qid=1573247587&sr=8-6

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 04:35:43 PM »
Kinda hard to screw up something that simple but I'd still want to stick with a brand you know.

This one seems good as any.
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electric-KH825-01-Inferno-Torch/dp/B00BJQUUHC/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=weed+burner+torch&qid=1573247587&sr=8-6

Brad

That is the one that floated to the top of my Amazon search as well. These blow torches seem to be simple, so I just wasn't sure if you're getting lots better for that price over a $35 one or not.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 05:11:43 PM »
That is the one that floated to the top of my Amazon search as well. These blow torches seem to be simple, so I just wasn't sure if you're getting lots better for that price over a $35 one or not.

My guess is a slight uptick in materials quality and build reliability. Other than that, nothing much to improve on.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 06:36:23 PM »
They're simple enough I would try the harbor fright version.
I have a more expensive version I've had for years of trouble free use, don't remember the brand and any identifying markings wore off long ago. I welded up a simple 2 wheel cart for the tank with hooks to hange the hose on. Carrying a full 20 pound tank around is a pain (actually mine is on the same 40 pound fork lift tank for years)
What we have here is failure to communicate.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:39:15 PM »
Harbor freight version works but is very sensitive to air mixture and standoff distance. Translation, it puts itself out a lot.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 07:56:01 PM »
I bought mine at Menards. It has a “pilot” burner and a handle to squeeze for full burn. It works very well. If my ailing memory is correct, it was $40-something.

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!