Author Topic: So it's not just Americans who are loco  (Read 642 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
So it's not just Americans who are loco
« on: November 10, 2019, 12:16:26 AM »
A French woman was refused citizenship in Quebec because she didn't demonstrate sufficient mastery of ... French.

https://www.newser.com/story/282812/quebec-tells-french-woman-she-failed-to-prove-ability-to-speak-french.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: So it's not just Americans who are loco
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 10:36:09 AM »
This is the most French story I have ever heard. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 10:41:58 AM »
French is a terrible language which has only spread, and which only survives now, by this type of protectionism. French would certainly die out in Canada if it weren't protected by the Language police. You probably fail the test if you don't pledge undying allegiance to la langue francaise über alle, which looks like what happened here.

If you read TFA, it says she was applying on a fast-track program for people with high proficiency. To be fair, native proficiency does not equal academic proficiency. In that type of program, the standard is probably an academic standard. Put it this way, if there were an English equivalent, none of us would pass it either. Could you give me a complete explanation of the English subjunctive verb tense, with examples please? I couldn't; I didn't even know English had a subjunctive until I looked it up. Could YOU write a thesis in English that English professors would read and approve? If not, you do not have academic proficiency in English, and you might be rejected for such a program despite being a native speaker. Not only was part of her thesis in English, who knows how bad the French part was. She prolly be like "je sais pas ecrire, mais je parl le bien verlan, mdr. can haz citoyen maintenant stp???" When I read this, I'm more inclined to see a snowflake who is surprised she didn't automatically get accepted because she's French. I have a family member who thought he could write too, until he enrolled in a Master's program and got steamrolled, native English speaker and all. In academia, native proficiency is a starting line not the finish line.

An interesting video about Canadian French accents I found the other day (video in French). I'll be honest I first thought it was about people living with speech impediments, but apparently they are genuine Canadian regional accents. And I have to admit the narrator lady's accent is super adorable.

https://youtu.be/vR_nHIVBoI0
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 11:59:28 AM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »
May I again point out that one of the top SJW countries all our liberals want to "escape" to, and point to as a banner of inclusiveness, has immigration laws like 10X more stringent than ours?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 10:52:23 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 11:25:29 AM »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.