Author Topic: Turkey Roasting Pan  (Read 4610 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Turkey Roasting Pan
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »
I need a turkey roasting pan. For those who do theirs in the oven, what do you like? I saw a nice one, reasonably priced, at Costco, but it is non-stick. Not to be an eco-hippie, but I'm not crazy about non-stick. All my other pots and pans except for one are either cast iron, stainless, or carbon steel.

Maybe non-stick isn't bad for something I just use a few times a year. Otherwise, when I was a kid, my parents always used one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Granite-Ware-18-Inch-Covered-Roaster/dp/B000050AVC?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

I'm kinda thinking of something like that just for the nostalgia. Open to suggestions though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Turkey Roasting Pan
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »
I need a turkey roasting pan. For those who do theirs in the oven, what do you like? I saw a nice one, reasonably priced, at Costco, but it is non-stick. Not to be an eco-hippie, but I'm not crazy about non-stick. All my other pots and pans except for one are either cast iron, stainless, or carbon steel.

Maybe non-stick isn't bad for something I just use a few times a year. Otherwise, when I was a kid, my parents always used one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Granite-Ware-18-Inch-Covered-Roaster/dp/B000050AVC?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

I'm kinda thinking of something like that just for the nostalgia. Open to suggestions though.

That one looks just like the one I use, except mine is stainless steel. I'd think it should work perfectly well.

Oh, and I've had nothing but rave reviews of my turkeys the last few years. It's a simple recipe: Inject with butter and pepper, and coat the outside with same.  

Crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. For the cavity, use whatever you'd like. I prefer a little bit of apple and some sage for flavor.  (I always make actual stuffing separately.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »
I've had one of those Granite Wear pans for years.  I have the larger size, but same materials.  Works great.  Use it for roasting meats, mac and cheese, lasagna.  Clean up is pretty easy, maybe a soak with hot soapy water if it gets crap stuck on it.  The enamel clad works well.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »
I've been wanting a granite ware like you linked to, only thing holding me back is how much room it takes up in storage for just using it 2-3x a year.

I normally roast my turkey in a deep roasting pan with a rack, turkey is in a roasting bag. I use this roasting pan several times a year.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
Unless you are in a hurry and need it soon I would hit the paper and look for garage/estate sales. Every grandmother had one and none of the kids seem to have any desire to own it. They go pretty cheap at estate sales.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 10:25:03 AM »
That one looks just like the one I use, except mine is stainless steel. I'd think it should work perfectly well.

Oh, and I've had nothing but rave reviews of my turkeys the last few years. It's a simple recipe: Inject with butter and pepper, and coat the outside with same.  

Crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. For the cavity, use whatever you'd like. I prefer a little bit of apple and some sage for flavor.  (I always make actual stuffing separately.)

I use a similar method to good results. I both stuff the turkey and make separate stuffing, because I am a stuffing fiend.

I have one of the graniteware coffee pots, and it has held up extremely well.

I would get this one with the matching rack. It would be like thirty five ducats all together, which seems pretty dang reasonable.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 10:25:40 AM »
I've had one of those Granite Wear pans for years.  I have the larger size, but same materials.  Works great.  Use it for roasting meats, mac and cheese, lasagna.  Clean up is pretty easy, maybe a soak with hot soapy water if it gets crap stuck on it.  The enamel clad works well.

.... just how much mac and cheese are you making in a roaster that large?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »

.... just how much mac and cheese are you making in a roaster that large?

When I make mac and cheese, I use 2-3 pounds of pasta, and probably 2-3 pounds of cheese.  I have 2 teen sons, and they LOVE mac and cheese.  The roaster pan full will generally last 2-3 days, unless I make bacon mac and cheese.  Then it never lasts more than 2 days.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 10:37:18 AM »
When I make mac and cheese, I use 2-3 pounds of pasta, and probably 2-3 pounds of cheese.  I have 2 teen sons, and they LOVE mac and cheese.  The roaster pan full will generally last 2-3 days, unless I make bacon mac and cheese.  Then it never lasts more than 2 days.

Well, I suppose that's a silver lining for me only having one son. My 3 daughters probably won't eat as much as your 2 sons when they are all teenagers*. However, knowing my own appetite as a teenager makes me wonder how I'll keep my son fed for those years.

*Yes, in another decade or so, I will have 3 teenager girls and one teenage boy in my family.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 10:38:16 AM »
Unless you are in a hurry and need it soon I would hit the paper and look for garage/estate sales. Every grandmother had one and none of the kids seem to have any desire to own it. They go pretty cheap at estate sales.

bob

Cheapest place I have seen the Graniteware roasting pans has been at farm and home stores.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 12:27:11 PM »
I use a stainless steel open rack pan from Cuisinart that we received as a gift.  This is for larger turkeys or when I am doing a prime rib.  In recent years, we are now hosting dinner for 25+ people, so we have two matching Oster 22 quart electric roasters that fit on the kitchen counter. We roast a whole turkey in one, two turkey breasts in the other and this frees up vital oven space for other purposes.  We serve the fancy ham at room temperature.  We have several vegans this year, so I have to figure out what to make for them.  I am thinking maybe one of those Field Roasts Celebration Roasts.

Those foil roasting pans are a danger to yourself and others: they collapse when loaded with the weight of a turkey unless you have a support under them. We do use those pans for stuffing, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »
Friend of mine has a very nice, very expensive roasting pan.

Last time I saw it it was in his shop, filled with sand paper, nails, screws...

It apparently migrated out there one holiday and never migrated back.

He'd better hope his wife doesn't see it or he may not migrate out of his shop back to the house for awhile...  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 12:34:59 PM »
We have the one from Costco and have used it but THIS YEAR my wife has been researching and we will be doing it on a shallow pan with rack (actually my oven jerky racks) after cutting the bird into 5 pieces and dry brining it.
Some of the experts are now recommending NOT roasting whole bird. Because light and dark meat should be cooked to different temps to keep it moist when done.
My wife gave me the article to read. It was in Bon Appetite or Cuisine or some such magazine.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 12:35:52 PM »

That'll work just dandy. Also works for brisket (...and changing oil if the missus ain't looking). Get some turkey roasting bags. Makes for easy cleanup.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 01:02:59 PM »
I may be buying a new pan today

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-7117-16UR-Classic-Stainless-Rectangular/dp/B003YLJZ6M

I think that is the one we received as a gift.  We really like it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
At this point I guess I should have put this in the food forum  :laugh:, but somebody tell me about roasting bags. I've never done that.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 01:38:32 PM »
At this point I guess I should have put this in the food forum  :laugh:, but somebody tell me about roasting bags. I've never done that.

Open bag, put in food, seal bag, put in oven. Follow directions on box o' bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_696Ixz-I8

How about crock pot liners, ever tried those?  =D

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 01:39:36 PM »
After experimenting several times, I am not a fan of the roasting bag.  It does make clean-up easier and the juices are contained for making gravy.  The big advantage is to keep the turkey moist.  My turkeys already stay moist in the enclosed electric roaster, or when using the open roasting pan, I drape the turkey in cheesecloth and baste frequently.  I remove the cheesecloth for the last part of roasting to help ensure even browning.  I found that the turkey did not brown as evenly when using the roasting bag.  My gravy also tastes better when I use the juices/basting sauce/browned bits of turkey and skin that fall off into the roasting pan or open roaster and caramelize a bit.  Although the real secret of my gravy is to use Better than Bouillon turkey base to add a punch of concentrated turkey flavor.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 01:51:32 PM »
After experimenting several times, I am not a fan of the roasting bag.  It does make clean-up easier and the juices are contained for making gravy.  The big advantage is to keep the turkey moist.  My turkeys already stay moist in the enclosed electric roaster, or when using the open roasting pan, I drape the turkey in cheesecloth and baste frequently.  I remove the cheesecloth for the last part of roasting to help ensure even browning.  I found that the turkey did not brown as evenly when using the roasting bag.  My gravy also tastes better when I use the juices/basting sauce/browned bits of turkey and skin that fall off into the roasting pan or open roaster and caramelize a bit.  Although the real secret of my gravy is to use Better than Bouillon turkey base to add a punch of concentrated turkey flavor.

I'll open up the bag in the last 30 minutes of cooking to even out the browning. Love that crunchy skin.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »
"Some of the experts are now recommending NOT roasting whole bird. Because light and dark meat should be cooked to different temps to keep it moist when done."

That's the point of a good brining... to keep the white meat moist even if it overcooks because the dark meat needs a somewhat higher temp.

It's also why you cover the breats with a tin foil triangle. See Alton Brown's work on turkey brining and roasting.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »

Use the bag as a pan liner. Makes cleanup a snap.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 04:18:09 PM »
"Some of the experts are now recommending NOT roasting whole bird. Because light and dark meat should be cooked to different temps to keep it moist when done."

That's the point of a good brining... to keep the white meat moist even if it overcooks because the dark meat needs a somewhat higher temp.

It's also why you cover the breats with a tin foil triangle. See Alton Brown's work on turkey brining and roasting.

Maybe it's a Midwest thing, but most frozen turkeys sold here are already brined. I just got a free turkey for buying a ham, it is already brined.

Uranus is a gas giant.