Author Topic: The Atlantic examines the nation coming apart  (Read 2711 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The Atlantic examines the nation coming apart
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:37:37 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/12/a-nation-coming-apart/600730/

Links to all the articles in the link above.  At first glance, looks like some interesting articles and it will take me a while to get through them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: The Atlantic examines the nation coming apart
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:40:54 AM »
The extreme over the top insane level of TDS caused me to zone out halfway through the first paragraph
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:56:17 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »
he 45th president of the United States is uniquely unfit for office and poses a multifaceted threat to our country’s democratic institutions. Yet he might not represent the most severe challenge facing our country. The structural failures in our democratic system that allowed a grifter into the White House in the first place—this might be our gravest challenge. Or perhaps it is the tribalization of our politics, brought about by pathological levels of inequality, technological and demographic upheaval, and the tenacious persistence of racism. Or maybe it is that we as a people no longer seem to know who we are or what our common purpose is.
The first paragraph of the link.  It sure seems to be starting with the assumption that Trump is bad. 

I'll take a lead from another quote:  Trump is the worst politician in Washington D.C. unless you consider all the others. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 11:42:21 AM »
Here is a quote from the link that says Trump is unfit for office.  They say the only other candidates they endorsed for office were LBJ and Lincoln. 

These concerns compel us, for the third time since the magazine’s founding, to endorse a candidate for president. Hillary Rodham Clinton has more than earned, through her service to the country as first lady, as a senator from New York, and as secretary of state, the right to be taken seriously as a White House contender. She has flaws (some legitimately troubling, some exaggerated by her opponents), but she is among the most prepared candidates ever to seek the presidency. We are confident that she understands the role of the United States in the world; we have no doubt that she will apply herself assiduously to the problems confronting this country; and she has demonstrated an aptitude for analysis and hard work.

Donald Trump, on the other hand, has no record of public service and no qualifications for public office. His affect is that of an infomercial huckster; he traffics in conspiracy theories and racist invective; he is appallingly sexist; he is erratic, secretive, and xenophobic; he expresses admiration for authoritarian rulers, and evinces authoritarian tendencies himself. He is easily goaded, a poor quality for someone seeking control of America’s nuclear arsenal. He is an enemy of fact-based discourse; he is ignorant of, and indifferent to, the Constitution; he appears not to read.
IMO, it shows a remarkable bias.  The author ignores a great deal of flaws/corruption on Clinton's part and gives her a whole lot of credit for being a First Lady and Senator yet completely dismisses any potential experience Trump may have from his domestic and international business experience.  Just looking at the individual criticisms of Trump, I find that much of it could easily be applied to Hillary Clinton as well, but the author ignores that.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 11:48:04 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/12/a-nation-coming-apart/600730/

Links to all the articles in the link above.  At first glance, looks like some interesting articles and it will take me a while to get through them.

I read two or three articles. I note how they are pointing out incivility, even highlighting that it is the left doing it, but do everything they can to stop short of calling on the left to stop it. I DID see a specific all out of the right, though.

Funny how that bias always seems to lean one way.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »
"The first paragraph of the link.  It sure seems to be starting with the assumption that Trump is bad."

Nope. Not an assumption. They believe it, so it's a fact. And if you don't believe them, and accept their version of it 100%, that means you're just a fascist hater and Orange Man lover.

This is nothing more than a chorus of shrill dog whistles to their progressive liberal base.

They're doing as much to fuel a nation "coming apart" as anyone else is. But of course they don't believe that. Because Orange Man, Conservatives, Billionaires, etc. BAD BAD BAD!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 12:26:52 PM »
"The first paragraph of the link.  It sure seems to be starting with the assumption that Trump is bad."

Nope. Not an assumption. They believe it, so it's a fact.

This is nothing more than a chorus of shrill dog whistles to their progressive liberal base.

They're doing as much to fuel a nation "coming apart" as anyone else is. But of course they don't believe that. Because Orange Man, Conservatives, Billionaires, etc. BAD BAD BAD!

They've been doing everything they can to divide us into little opposing groups for the pass 40+ years and still continue to blame everyone but themselves for the results
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/12/adam-serwer-civility/600784/
 Skimming this one, it reads like it is a leftist view of political history.  I don't know if it is worth the time later to read it more closely.  

If I had a stronger base of knowledge to pick apart of the historical references the author it making, it might be more interesting to read.  As it is, I think the author is mischaracterizing much of what happened in the past, but I am not sure I could cite proof without a lot more research I don't have time for. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »
MechAg94 said,

As it is, I think the author is mischaracterizing much of what happened in the past, but I am not sure I could cite proof without a lot more research I don't have time for.

They're relying on that.  A steady flood of repetitive propaganda is very effective, totally apart from the actual truths involved.

The first paragraph (which is all I could read, too) is nothing more than a sequence of emotional  character assassinations, to which the lemmings of the left would just chant "Right on!"

And it is nearly impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:18:59 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 01:26:55 PM »
The Atlantic is an amazing propaganda outlet.

They are masters of narrative creation.

It really is a shame we have so few writers on the right that have such a mastery of that art.

Then again, the best and brightest on the right are shackled by truth and reality. That is a self imposed limitation on using that particular skill set and toolbox.

Don't misunderstand me, there are propogandists on the right. They just aren't considered balanced and mainstream like the leftists.

Trumps biggest strength (amazing propoganda skills) is also his biggest negative in the minds of many of those on the right.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 04:07:28 PM »

It really is a shame we have so few writers on the right that have such a mastery of that art.

Then again, the best and brightest on the right are shackled by truth and reality. That is a self imposed limitation on using that particular skill set and toolbox.

Don't misunderstand me, there are propogandists on the right. They just aren't considered balanced and mainstream like the leftists.

Trumps biggest strength (amazing propoganda skills) is also his biggest negative in the minds of many of those on the right.

bold:  Who defines "balanced and mainstream" ?  I don't have to accept labels that come from biased people. 

underlined: I would be real curious how many on the right are actually anti-Trump now.  I can understand some apprehension in 2016.  Now, the only reason I see if some people just don't like the guy.  IMO, people need to remember why they dislike the normal political snakes in D.C.  I would rather have 454 "Trumps" in D.C. beating each other up in the press than what we have now. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 04:47:06 PM »

Then again, the best and brightest on the right are shackled by truth and reality.

And jobs and responsibilities, and a real, more balanced, life.  Not obsessed with a secular millenarianism.

That is a self imposed limitation on using that particular skill set and toolbox.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 05:12:56 PM »
The Atlantic examines the nation coming apart
Regarding this thread title, I have my doubts that the nation is actually coming apart.  I don't think it is greatly different than 20 years ago overall.  I think a small number of very loud radicals are amplified by a willing media and too many people take them seriously. 

I guess one could argue that, but I think it is the media (like the Atlantic) that are pushing/encouraging the separation rather than them simply witnessing actual events.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 10:12:06 PM »
Here is a quote from the link that says Trump is unfit for office.  They say the only other candidates they endorsed for office were LBJ and Lincoln.
LBJ?

The traitorous POTUS responsible for the death of 58,000 Americans in a war in which he deliberately and maliciously worked to prevent victory?
The originator of the "Great Society" welfare programs that are responsible for most of our national debt, while NOT reducing poverty?

THAT LBJ?

:mad:   [barf]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 09:06:27 AM »
LBJ?

The traitorous POTUS responsible for the death of 58,000 Americans in a war in which he deliberately and maliciously worked to prevent victory?
The originator of the "Great Society" welfare programs that are responsible for most of our national debt, while NOT reducing poverty?

THAT LBJ?

:mad:   [barf]

Who also committed election fraud and used the FBI to spy on his political opponents.

Possibly the most corrupt President we've ever had*.

*That we know of so far. I'm not going to be surprised if we find the previous administration was even worse.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 10:31:30 AM »
The Tara Westover interview wasn't new material for me, but it was interesting.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 12:11:25 AM »
Who also committed election fraud and used the FBI to spy on his political opponents.

Possibly the most corrupt President we've ever had*.

*That we know of so far. I'm not going to be surprised if we find the previous administration was even worse.

Don't forget,  LBJ  also used to pick up his beagle dog by its ears, and pee in the Rose Garden.   Classy guy, LBJ. :-X
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero