Author Topic: Baseball debacle  (Read 2096 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Baseball debacle
« on: November 12, 2019, 08:35:37 PM »
High school junior varsity coach tells his player to slide. Kid breaks his ankle -- major lawsuit results.

https://www.nj.com/slide-trial/

What happened to the kid sucks. That (IMHO) doesn't eliminate the fact that injuries happen in sports. Heck, that kid is still alive. Just a couple of days ago I read an article about a college gymnast -- top flight -- who slipped, fell, broke her back and died. Should her family sue the coach?

The father wants "somebody" to be responsible. To be contrarian, maybe somebody should have taught the kid how to slide.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Baseball debacle
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:45:38 PM »
How many high school kids do we here about dieing when football practice starts? Or basketball or any other sport.
Bad things happen to kids but sometimes there is too much push on kids playing a game.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:57:08 PM »
The father and a lawyer smell money
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:01:35 PM »
How many high school kids do we here about dieing when football practice starts? Or basketball or any other sport.
Bad things happen to kids but sometimes there is too much push on kids playing a game.

True enough.

My senior year of high school, one of the guys whom I had known since first grade collapsed and died on the rink at a pre-season hockey practice. His parents did not sue the school or the coach.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:20:39 PM by Hawkmoon »

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 05:16:21 AM »
Good thing he didn't slide head first.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 07:51:10 AM »
Back when I was a student trainer for my college I accompanied the team to a football game at Catholic University in DC. During a play a couple of our players tackled the quarterback and the result was one of the most devastating injuries I've ever heard of. Essentially the only thing holding his leg on was the skin; everything else was torn.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1986/09/14/gallis-is-just-happy-he-can-walk/493adf7c-1771-4339-b7b2-8cec32687c57/

He also ended up suing, but sued the university over an alleged failure to provide proper protective equipment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1988/12/14/ex-quarterback-gallis-sues-catholic-u-over-football-injury/0fc10280-fa52-4be3-be51-e8001e526e4a/

Not exactly sure what kind of equipment would have prevented that kind of knee injury. Linemen wear knee braces to prevent side-to-side collapse, but those can really limit mobility, especially for a scramble-type quarterback like he was.

Not sure how the lawsuit ended, but they must have come to something agreeable as he was inducted into CU's hall of fame in 2016.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 07:49:21 AM »
My wife slid off the 2nd or 3rd bottom stair in the basement and broke/dislocated her ankle about a month and a half ago. When I talked to the orthopedic surgeon, I got the impression that this was a very common injury, as he said it’s the most common surgery he does- fix ligaments and tendons that encircle the ankle, screw the fibula back together.
Pic was from immediately before they relocated the ankle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bq5z2bsfud2lemx/Photo%20Oct%2002%2C%201%2006%2046%20PM.jpg?dl=0

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 09:17:05 AM »
The father and a lawyer smell money

There's also probably a sense of "he got SERIOUSLY hurt. Someone should have to pay (be punished) for that!!"

Lots of people cannot accept that sometimes bad things happen. The breaking of an ankle was a possible consequence of a bad slide. USUALLY you don't get a broken ankle.

USUALLY a broken ankle heals up easily. Sometime you get complications. USUALLY those are dealt with and people have a perfectly normal life.

The father can't accept that his son got what is likely a Billion to 1 injury. It sucks, but sometimes life just sucks. Taking it out on someone who did nothing wrong but was there doing his job properly just increases the amount that life sucks for someone else. It doesn't help your son.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »
I doubt this was the first time he ever slid in a game or practice.  IMO, as long as the infield was in decent condition, I don't see where there is a claim.

I messed up my ankle once playing softball.  Slid into 3rd base.  The dirt of the infield was a thin layer over gravel.  My trailing foot caught and turned under me.  Lucky I didn't break it.  I never attempted to slide again after that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »
His coach told him to slide.

Ultimately, though, he MADE the decision to slide.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »
IMHO, it's another facet of the victim culture that has developed in this crazy world.  No on takes responsibility for what happens to themselves.  Crash a car, so the car or the tires or the road must have been bad.  Add to that the fact that lawyer rules now allow attorneys to advertise, which only exacerbates the issue.  So, you get hurt. Nothing is your fault.  Lawyer on TV says everyone deserves money.  So, sue.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 03:39:41 PM »
IMHO, it's another facet of the victim culture that has developed in this crazy world.  No on takes responsibility for what happens to themselves.  Crash a car, so the car or the tires or the road must have been bad.  Add to that the fact that lawyer rules now allow attorneys to advertise, which only exacerbates the issue.  So, you get hurt. Nothing is your fault.  Lawyer on TV says everyone deserves money.  So, sue.

It's all those damn lawyers' faults!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 04:02:55 PM »

Something like 90% of the billboards around here along the local expressways are for accident lawyers
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
Something like 90% of the billboards around here along the local expressways are for accident lawyers
I got into a wreck because those billboards were distracting.  .....call lawyer on next billboard down.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 04:25:43 PM »
I got into a wreck because those billboards were distracting.  .....call lawyer on next billboard down.   =)

Most of them are the same guy

- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 04:43:49 PM »
Billboards are soooooo last decade. One of the biggest-name accident attorneys in my area has his ads plastered on the sides of all the public transit buses.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 04:46:13 PM »
Billboards are soooooo last decade. One of the biggest-name accident attorneys in my area has his ads plastered on the sides of all the public transit buses.

Here too
And benches
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 10:12:07 PM »

There has to be an extra chromosome in that one.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 10:27:04 PM »

So that's what the Incredible Hulk does between Avengers movies.

Seriously -- that dude lost his neck.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 12:46:00 AM »
That phone number must have set him back a couple of hundred thou.  I only found out recently (I don't get out much) that the phone companies put special numbers up for bids.

I remember my lawyer (and hunting buddy) bellyaching when lawyers were allowed to advertise.  I felt as a private organization the no advertising rule was OK, but as an overall free enterprise thing, it wasn't proper.  But I never said anything.  After all, we often went afield together with loaded guns.

I was going to post something snotty about lawyers being the new Center for Disease Control.  Apparently they root around in medical statistics for things to sue over.  The latest, just coming to my attention today, is that apparently there are some nasty things in firefighting foam that firefighters can sue over.

rolleyes

Terry
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:36:25 AM by 230RN »