Author Topic: The deepfakes are real and our reality is at risk  (Read 1405 times)

MechAg94

• friend
The deepfakes are real and our reality is at risk
« on: November 14, 2019, 09:34:52 AM »
https://www.thepostmillennial.com/watch-the-deepfakes-are-real-and-our-reality-is-at-risk/

The article is about modern computer tech that can create realistic fakes of video and such.  They link to a video a group made as an example showing both British PM candidates endorsing each other. 

I am a bit surprised Democrats didn't pull this out on Kavanagh, but I guess ABC's Battle of Knob Creek in Syria might be a pretty good example. 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
Re: The deepfakes are real and our reality is at risk
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 09:56:13 AM »
It's been going on for a while.  What used to be considered paranoia is today considered healthy skepticism . . . .

Here's a more in-depth article:

https://www.livemint.com/technology/tech-news/ai-powered-deepfakes-are-a-bigger-threat-than-fake-news-1568308128713.html
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
I'm coming to view a great percentage of what I see as, to some extent, a lie.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 08:27:39 PM »
Thirty years ago, a guy I worked for used to say that, "Everything you see in the media is true ... unless you have first-hand knowledge of the facts."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »
I used this as an illustration in an adult Sunday school class I got conned into substitute-teaching :D
https://babylonbee.com/news/snopes-rates-the-devils-lies-as-mostly-true
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »
Thirty years ago, a guy I worked for used to say that, "Everything you see in the media is true ... unless you have first-hand knowledge of the facts."
In the (relatively) few instances in which I DID have first-hand knowledge of the facts, the media DID in fact get things wrong.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 09:05:50 PM »
There's been talk for a while about the evidentiary value of digital media, be it photos, videos, or audio recordings.  The tech exists which allows for easy manipulation of the image or recording, and that manipulation can be basically undetectable.  I've read discussions of requiring film photos for law enforcement to minimize the risk of fakes. interesting times...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 09:41:53 PM »
They used to use Polaroids integral films, which have serial numbers, for documentary purposes. For exactly the reason that there is no practical way to have any sort of evidence integrity of digital "photos". It could technically be done, cryptographically speaking, but in practice there is no method.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 11:20:13 AM »
Even chemical photos are not immune from being "Mostly True," in the Snopes sense.

TRUE                               MOSTLY TRUE
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:05:54 PM by 230RN »