Author Topic: LA County school shooting  (Read 4130 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
LA County school shooting
« on: November 14, 2019, 12:30:33 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: LA County school shooting
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »
3 shot or 6 shot, unclear at this point.
Suspect is described as an Asian male

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-saugus-high-school-shooting
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »

Just got a notice on my phone... 2 dead.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 03:58:31 PM »
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said six people were shot, including the 16-year-old student suspect. Thursday was his birthday. No details were released on a motive.

A video of the shooting shows the gunman shooting himself in the head. Authorities say he was carrying a .45 caliber handgun.

The two students who died were 16 and 14. Their names were not released.

California School Shooter Struck on His Birthday Using a .45 Handgun, Tried to Commit Suicide
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/california-school-shooter-struck-on-his-birthday-using-a-45-handgun-tried-to-commit-suicide/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 04:02:09 PM »

What a terrible article.

Two students, a 16-year-old female and a 14-year-old victim, are dead and three other teens were injured Thursday ...

So 2 + 3 = 5. But wait ...

There was also one non-critically injured victim who was transported to a hospital, for a total of seven victims including the suspect, authorities said.

So the initial report of five victims omitted the sixth victim.

And I respectfully decline to label the shooter as a "victim." So we don't have seven victims, we have six victims and a shooter.

It was not immediately clear if the shooting occurred inside the school building, on school grounds or near the school.

But you've already reported that the shooting is on video. Doesn't the video show where the shooting happened?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 04:14:00 PM »
Sigh

- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 04:19:09 PM »
What was he supposed to do?  Take Air Force One to L.A. and personally execute the perp?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »
In the comments

itsatax • 2 hours ago

Would it help if Trump wrote books about murder and mayhem?

Stephen King thinks Donald Trump is ‘a useless piece of sh*t’ for ‘monitoring the situation’ after Santa Clarita shooting
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/11/14/stephen-king-thinks-donald-trump-is-a-useless-piece-of-sht-for-monitoring-the-situation-after-santa-clarita-shooting/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »
In the comments

Stephen King thinks Donald Trump is ‘a useless piece of sh*t’ for ‘monitoring the situation’ after Santa Clarita shooting
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/11/14/stephen-king-thinks-donald-trump-is-a-useless-piece-of-sht-for-monitoring-the-situation-after-santa-clarita-shooting/

Isn't that standard White House verbiage? I'm sure Obama was reported to be "monitoring" the situation on more than two occasions.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 12:25:44 AM »
According to USA Today, Everytown is reporting that there have been thirty school shootings in 2019.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/11/14/saugus-school-shooting-california-how-many-2019-school-shootings/4190941002/

I count ten -- and that includes two that were at universities, not grammar or high schools. I want to know what the other twenty were.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 12:45:47 AM »
Local news broadcast in St. Louis whipped up a nice little "Santa Clarita Shooting" graphic for their segment on the 5 o'clock news. How's about that now? Kill 2 people, and you get your own graphic. If you kill 10 or more, do they bring you on as a regular contributor?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 07:48:04 AM »
Wasn't there a big fire in Santa Clarita just a week or two ago?

The world is getting a lot weirder.

https://qanon.pub/#2469  (fires followed by shooting in same place in california predicted)
https://qanon.pub/#3585 https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=project+looking+glass&fr=yfp-t&fp=1&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8  (Note: Google has memory holed these search results within the last 2 days)

[tinfoil]

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
As nutty as it seems even to me, anyone else notice that the democrats first day of IMPEACHMENT!!111!! made them look like the morons they are then BAM another school shooting.
 [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 08:06:15 AM »
As nutty as it seems even to me, anyone else notice that the democrats first day of IMPEACHMENT!!111!! made them look like the morons they are then BAM another school shooting.
 [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

A popular meme from a week ago was that the democrats were too busy impeaching Trump to have a mass shooting.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 10:10:19 AM »
Now the Associated Press is reporting that Everytown claims there have been 85 school shooting this year.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-shooting/on-16th-birthday-california-student-opens-fire-at-his-high-school-killing-two-idUSKBN1XO2C0

But, read the fine print:

It was the 85th incident of gunfire at a school this year, according to Everytown, a gun control advocacy group. It seems sure to reignite a debate over gun control in the 2020 presidential election.

They didn't exactly say "school shootings." They said "85th incident of gunfire at a school this year." I still only show ten actual school shootings this year, and even that includes two that were at universities rather than "schools" (in the sense of grammar, middle, or high schools ... which is what people usually think of when they see or hear the words "school shooting").

Even the NRA has picked up on how Everytown pads their statistics:

https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2016/12/16/everytowns-list-of-school-shootings-is-not-worth-the-paper-its-printed-on/

It comes down to how you define "school shooting" -- and Everytown (naturally) uses an all-encompassing definition.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/heres-how-everytowns-disputed-report-of-18-school-shootings-breaks-down.html

According to Everytown, “any time a firearm discharges a live round inside a school building or on a school campus or grounds,” it counts as a school shooting, regardless of whether or not the shooting results in injury or death.

Take that in -- it counts as a school shooting, even if nobody was shot. Even if the discharge of the firearm was an accident and there was no intention to shoot anyone or anything involved. Even if the shot was fired at 4:00 a.m., when there were no students present. Even if it was two idiots shooting at a stray cat. All "school shootings."
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:04:42 AM by Hawkmoon »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
In the comments

Vulpes vulpes
@Oenonewept
Are you getting enough attention? Maybe see a doctor about your small penis... https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1195031274169262080
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 08:38:11 PM »
The (alleged) shooter has died.  No note/letter/manifesto found to shed light on why he (allegedly) did it.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 08:53:29 PM »
The (alleged) shooter has died.  No note/letter/manifesto found to shed light on why he (allegedly) did it.

If he's dead, you don't have to say "allegedly" anymore.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-16/santa-clarita-shooting-detectives-probe-how-teen-got-gun-as-community-mourns

The shooter may have assembled his own 'ghost gun', per the article. We will see if that causes more scrutiny to the 'ghost gun' concept.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 03:32:14 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-16/santa-clarita-shooting-detectives-probe-how-teen-got-gun-as-community-mourns

The shooter may have assembled his own 'ghost gun', per the article. We will see if that causes more scrutiny to the 'ghost gun' concept.

The article is hiding behind a paywall. Is there a link to a version that's accessible to the rest of us?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 03:38:53 PM »
The article is hiding behind a paywall. Is there a link to a version that's accessible to the rest of us?

Here's the relevant small (fair use) clip from the article:
A key focus of the investigation is how Nathaniel Berhow got the .45-caliber handgun he used to carry out the attack Thursday morning.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is working with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to determine whether the gun was made from parts purchased separately and then assembled, law enforcement sources told The Times. Such weapons, so-called ghost guns, do not have serial numbers and can be manufactured from parts ordered through the mail or acquired from underground makers.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2019, 03:49:33 PM »
Here's the relevant small (fair use) clip from the article:

Except that the statement quoted is incorrect. You can but most of the parts needed to make a gun, but the receiver is legally a "firearm" and you can't buy a completed receiver except by going through an FFL just as you would for a complete firearm.

You can buy unfinished receivers, but generally those require machining -- at least for handguns. I'm only familiar with 1911s -- I'm sure there must be unfinished Glock receivers, how much work is needed to complete those?

But the gun was a .45, and apparently only held six or seven rounds. My initial thought was "1911," but it seemed unlikely (not impossible) that a fifteen year old kid would have built a 1911 "ghost gun." And then there's this, from the MSN link:

The sources said the gun design appears to be unusual but emphasized that officials don’t know its origins at this time.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »
Oh, carp. Now starts the official bloviating. Deputy Superintendent Mike Kuhlman:

“The gun violence experienced across our nation, and all too often on school campuses, has prompted our district, like others, to conduct staff and student trainings for these unthinkable events,” he said in a statement. “We take the training seriously; we prayed that we would never need it. Yet today, our brilliant staff bravely and vigilantly went into action.

Seriously?

There don't appear to have been any staff in the quad area, where the shooting took place. The three first responders were all off-duty cops who were dropping off their kids at school. The school resource officer wasn't even on campus -- he got the call while still on his way to work. In short, the "brave" staff weren't in any position to have in any way affected the outcome. Spare me the pontificating, Mr. Kuhlman.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »
The sources said the gun design appears to be unusual but emphasized that officials don’t know its origins at this time.

Knowing the media that could merely mean it doesn't say Glock on it
- Calvin and Hobbes